dudewingchun said:
  • clear.png
    Disagree x 1
  • List

What do you disagree about?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alan thinks the Lap Sau drill is an applications drill. This is a gross misunderstanding if one is practicing YM VT. .

I thought we had already established that WSLVT lineage is the only branch of the family that thinks this way. The WSL/PB guys are the only ones that I have ever seen that are so hung up on this "application" thing. Again, your understanding of VT is not the gold standard and does not represent everyone's understanding of Ip Man's Wing Chun.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought we had already established that WSLVT lineage is the only branch of the family that thinks this way. The WSL/PB guys are the only ones that I have ever seen that are so hung up on this "application" thing. Again, your understanding of VT is not the gold standard and does not represent everyone's understanding of Ip Man's Wing Chun.

WSLPB VT is YM VT is VT

Please explain how the application based understanding of Lap Sau works in your system and what you have in that system to replace the understanding it represents in VT? Is your system related to YM VT?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
WSLPB VT is YM VT is VT

We've already had long belabored discussions here that have established that no one believes that other than you and LFJ. No need to rehash that again!

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We've already had long belabored discussions here that have established that no one believes that other than you and LFJ. No need to rehash that again!

Popularity isn't any kind of measure of truth. We discussed that as well. You must have forgotten

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please explain how the application based understanding of Lap Sau works in your system and what you have in that system to replace the understanding it represents in VT? Is your system related to YM VT?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Popularity isn't any kind of measure of truth. We discussed that as well. You must have forgotten

You are a pompous &$$, and no one has forgotten that! ;)

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you avoid questions it just looks like you don't know the answer.

Not true. People here know you now Guy. They know exactly what I'm saying, and not saying, and why! ;)

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shhhh, it's a SECRET!

Knowing your delight in arguing I think the conclusion is quite obvious.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shhhh, it's a SECRET!

Knowing your delight in arguing I think the conclusion is quite obvious.

Is that so? It seems you are the one that has recently posted leading questions on multiple threads trying to entice someone into arguing with you! :rolleyes:

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Asking questions is a good way to bring out ideas and underlying assumptions

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you believe the Lap Sau drill to be a beginners application drill?

Do you believe SLT is a beginner form? Just because a drill is not mastered does not mean it is not of value. That is the purpose of training, to improve.

Secondly you should define beginner...

Some guys, or a lot of guys, would probably call you a beginner so that begs the question. Are you doing lap sau?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In VT everyone should be doing the lap sau drill once they have reached the appropriate stage of development.

Alan Orr called the Lap Sau drill a beginners drill and characterised it as an application based drill in his system, which appears not to be VT. I am asking his student if he agrees with this in order to learn more about their system.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In VT everyone should be doing the lap sau drill once they have reached the appropriate stage of development.

Alan Orr called the Lap Sau drill a beginners drill and characterised it as an application based drill in his system, which appears not to be VT. I am asking his student if he agrees with this in order to learn more about their system.

Very astute. You note that Alan Orr is not doing WSL-PB-VT. I'm glad you settled that! :D

On the other hand, I find a lot of Alan's CSL WC ideas very relevant to my VT...

...although I'm not sure my current instructor would agree. But then, my instructor is not my sifu, just a highly skilled kung fu brother I choose to learn from. Personally, I'm done with sifus. I think I prefer coaches these days. ;)

Last edited:
OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK ...in the interest of full disclosure, my students call me "sifu". That may seem a bit hypocritical in light of my remarks above. It's just the tradition in our association. But I'm a "coachy" sort of sifu. Not a know-everything "guru" type of guy. ;)

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK ...in the interest of full disclosure, my students call me "sifu". That may seem a bit hypocritical in light of my remarks above. It's just the tradition in our association. But I'm a "coachy" sort of sifu. Not a know-everything "guru" type of guy. ;)

I don't necessarily see sifu in that sense. It is my teacher/coach that has on a personal level taken an interest in my life and shared pieces of his. His interest lies in my development not only as a student of WT but as a person. Of course this also comes with the fact that he rather see me finding things out on my own than taking his word for anything.

According to him we are not real martial artists or masters of anything until we stop believing what we hear and start experiencing and exploring things ourselves. Leaving those that simply copy him to pay the rent and train to their own delight in the meantime.

Latest Discussions