Bong Sau & Shoulder problems

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lucky i wasnt taught with the bong sao to bong higher than my shoulder

Well to be precise, the elbow shouldn't be torqued up higher than the shoulder, ...but of course the bong sau itself, i.e. the arm, can be angled upward higher than the shoulder if necessary.

For example: Imagine somebody who's about 5'2" doing poon sau with someone over 6'2". Their arms will have to angle upward.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like you are thinking of your "Rhino Guard" position again?
When you use your right hand to grab on your opponent's lapel, your opponent's left hand can still punch you. If you just raise your right elbow and hide your head next to it, it's the best defense for that position. The Bong Shou is an excellent tool to be used in stand up grappling to avoid a head punch.

In the following picture, if the person on the right throws a left hook punch toward the head of the person on the left, the person on the left can raise his right elbow, hide his head next to it, and avoid that hook punch.

lapel_hold.gif

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you use your right hand to grab on your opponent's lapel, your opponent's left hand can still punch you. If you just raise your right elbow and hide your head next to it, it's the best defense for that position. The Bong Shou is an excellent tool to be used in stand up grappling to avoid a head punch.

In the following picture, if the person on the right throws a left hook punch toward the head of the person on the left, the person on the left can raise his right elbow, hide his head next to it, and avoid that hook punch.

lapel_hold.gif
That would not be bong sao. At least not as I learned.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree with Danny. In CSL that would be more of a "Feng Sau." Other's I think might call it a "Biu Sau."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It may not be what Bong Shou was designed for, but it can be what Bong Shou can be evolved into. IMO, we should look into the future and not just look at the past. The future should always be better than the past otherwise our human being will be in trouble.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may not be what Bong Shou was designed for, but it can be what Bong Shou can be evolved into. IMO, we should look into the future and not just look at the past. The future should always be better than the past otherwise our human being will be in trouble.

But there is no need to "evolve" the Bong Sau. The Bong Sau simply transitions into another technique....the Feng Sau or Biu Sau. If the elbow bends past 45 degrees, I would argue that it is now a Lan Sau.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But there is no need to "evolve" the Bong Sau. The Bong Sau simply transitions into another technique....the Feng Sau or Biu Sau. If the elbow bends past 45 degrees, I would argue that it is now a Lan Sau.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dping a good bong sao takes good corrections and understanding the path of the bong sao.
Fortunately I have had no shoulder problems from wing chun. But hopping tall weeds using bad motions once caused me problems

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
------------------------------------------------------------------------
hopping tall weeds using bad motions once caused me problems

upload_2016-1-10_10-18-55.jpeg

Yes young Grasshopper. Though you are able to perform the task, one must be careful to not harm one's body in the process.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Grasshopper...weedhopper... I believe Joy was chopping tall weeds. I find it very hard to imagine him hopping tall weeds! :D

lsanczyk

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Danny. In CSL that would be more of a "Feng Sau." Other's I think might call it a "Biu Sau."
KPM, could you link an image or video to see the Feng Sau technique? I'd like to know how to apply it.Thank you!

Latest Discussions