New video on Bong Sau by Alan Orr

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't necessarily see sifu in that sense. It is my teacher/coach that has on a personal level taken an interest in my life and shared pieces of his. His interest lies in my development not only as a student of WT but as a person. Of course this also comes with the fact that he rather see me finding things out on my own than taking his word for anything.

According to him we are not real martial artists or masters of anything until we stop believing what we hear and start experiencing and exploring things ourselves. Leaving those that simply copy him to pay the rent and train to their own delight in the meantime.

I don't see Sifus in that way either. They can be viewed in many ways, although it depends on your level of involvement. If you are someone who takes a martial art because you want a hobby, then they are just the person you pay money to. BUT if you want to really learn the whole system in and out, then the Sifu is your guide on that road to self-discovery.

Provided they are good enough to do that, of course.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Very astute. You note that Alan Orr is not doing WSL-PB-VT. I'm glad you settled that! :D

On the other hand, I find a lot of Alan's CSL WC ideas very relevant to my VT..

There is only VT. Personal interpretation is only misunderstanding of VT

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
images

Last edited:

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's your interpretation! :p

Does that not mean you are doing VT and he is misunderstanding your VT?

Not sure why I had to quote this. It just deserved to be quoted again.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is only VT. Personal interpretation is only misunderstanding of VT
Actually interpretation is a teaching technique that combines factual with stimulating explanatory information.
Therefore, the passing on of information within the WC system is going to be through interpretation.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually interpretation is a teaching technique that combines factual with stimulating explanatory information.
Therefore, the passing on of information within the WC system is going to be through interpretation.

VT isn't data that needs explained. It is a massively detailed, step by step, learning and error correcting method produced a while back by some people who are not us.

There isn't anything to change; it already works. There isn't anything that needs to be explained; it is already laid out in great detail and written down for the avoidance of doubt.

Of course everyone has different physical and mental capacity, different perception speed and quality, different preferences, different biases. But this is not interpretation of the kind so often discussed here. VT is still just VT

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ Where can I find this document where your VT method is written down in great detail?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
^^^^ Where can I find this document where your VT method is written down in great detail?

I believe you do a different system with a different conceptual base? VT would probably not be relevant to you

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe you do a different system with a different conceptual base? VT would probably not be relevant to you

Yes, I do a different system. But I am here to learn about what others do as well. I like all versions of Wing Chun. I enjoy learning about how others may do things differently than I do. And I don't assume that because they do it differently that it is necessarily wrong and "substandard." I know WSLVT is a great system and would like to learn more about its conceptual base. If you know of a document that explains all of that in a detailed way all in one place I would love to see it!

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I do a different system. But I am here to learn about what others do as well. I like all versions of Wing Chun. I enjoy learning about how others may do things differently than I do. And I don't assume that because they do it differently that it is necessarily wrong and "substandard." I know WSLVT is a great system and would like to learn more about its conceptual base. If you know of a document that explains all of that in a detailed way all in one place I would love to see it!

It is in the writings of the system, and also in the oral tradition and the teaching order/method. I am sure your system also has writings

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is in the writings of the system, and also in the oral tradition and the teaching order/method. I am sure your system also has writings

This comment above:
There isn't anything that needs to be explained; it is already laid out in great detail and written down for the avoidance of doubt.

This lead me to believe that it was written up as a book or single document. So you are saying that isn't actually true?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This comment above:
There isn't anything that needs to be explained; it is already laid out in great detail and written down for the avoidance of doubt.

This lead me to believe that it was written up as a book or single document. So you are saying that isn't actually true?

Documents exist but it isn't something I can post on the forum KPM. I suggest you start training the system if you are interested

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
So let me see if I have this straight.....WSLVT is the "true" version of Ip Man's Wing Chun and almost everyone else in the Ip Man lineage learned incompletely or incorrectly. Within WSLVT are documents that explain how everything should be done in great detail. But the WSLVT lineage is unwilling to share this with those that didn't learn properly in order to benefit all Ip Man Wing Chun people? Or am I misrepresenting what you have been writing here for awhile?

Latest Discussions