New Kenpo Basic

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever considered the possible applications of biting in a street confrontation. That's correct, I said biting. I've read that the 101'st airborne used to have a technique where they would grab an opponent and bite their shoulder. That got me thinking about bites on the street.

I think it's obvious that a solid bite that removed a chunk of flesh would be extremely painful to our opponent. I also believe that biting our opponent and ripping him with our teeth, and then fighting with blood all over our face would have a devestating effect on our opponent's morale. For these two reasons I have practiced the applications of biting, although not very seriously.

Now, let's address some of the cons of biting. For one, if the opponent were to jerk violently while our teeth were deep in his arm or neck, we could concievably damage our own teeth. Biting also limits our focus and field of vision, leaving us open to counter attack. There is also a darker negative. Let's face it. We live in a day of many nasty communicable diseases. I would not want to bite a person in an altercation, and walk away with a parasite, or worse. I think there is one blood disease that we all fear to some extent, and I would not want to be doomed to die because I bit someone when I could have punched him.

Has anyone else considered this? Do you teach it in your schools?

-Rob

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting post! Paul Vunak actually has talked about this quite a bit. He has a tape out, Kino Mutai, which he talks about biting. Actually, I was surprised, when I was watching the tape. There is actually alot more to biting than people think. He covers the proper way to bite, the different areas, etc.

Again, this is always not the safest thing to do, considering that there are many diseases out there, but then again, nobody said that you had to swallow anything. And, if it was a matter of life or death, then yes, why not do whatever is necessary to save your life?

Also, as far as getting a disease from the blood. Well, think about it. If you punch someone, there is a chance that you'll draw blood. If you have any small cuts on your hands, there is a good chance that the blood could get on them.

Mike

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... we often inserted a bite against a headlock as part of Grip of Death or Grasp of Death. I have a friend who still has the scars on his ribs when the headlock went to the ground and he was bitten. It is just not something you WANT to do, unless forced and absolutely nothing else will work IMHO.

-Michael

K

Kenpomachine

In most instances it is more dangerous to bite for yourself than for the adversary. Unless you know exactly were to bite, the pain may not be felt unless much later due to the adrenaline rush. It's the same with nailing.

I use it sometimes against my brother, but always in combination with other thing. We don't train it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
If you want AIDS, go ahead....

I.

Sure, that is one thing, among many others that you have to worry about. However, again, this is a extreme measure for an extreme situation. Also, nobody said that you have to rip the flesh when you bite. Its a mental attack as well as a physical one. Just the feeling of your mouth starting to clamp down on this guys arm, neck, etc. might be enough for him to let go.

Mike

K

KEMPO DAVE

the adhesive on my false teeth isn't strong enough............... and I don't think gumming would be effective...........

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that it's true that the psychological angle makes it more effective.

Is there any known case of contracting AIDS or another serious disease through a bite in a fight?

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by KEMPO DAVE
the adhesive on my false teeth isn't strong enough............... and I don't think gumming would be effective...........

HAHAHAHAHA! LOL! :rofl:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that it's true that the psychological angle makes it more effective.

Is there any known case of contracting AIDS or another serious disease through a bite in a fight?

Sure, that is one thing, among many others that you have to worry about. However, again, this is a extreme measure for an extreme situation. Also, nobody said that you have to rip the flesh when you bite. Its a mental attack as well as a physical one. Just the feeling of your mouth starting to clamp down on this guys arm, neck, etc. might be enough for him to let go.

It wouldn't be hard at all, from my understanding. You could try to bite without breaking the skin, but, our teeth are designed to do just the opposite. Do you have that much control?

From my understanding, you can catch AIDS though many bodily fluids - whilst some fluids, such as vomit, saliva or tears would have to be ingested in quantities of about 1 litre to contract the virus (due to the concentration in the carrier's body in these places), you really only need to injest a few drops of blood (or semen, or vaginal fluids) in order to contract the virus.

As anyone who's ever even pricked their arm or finger with a pin or needle will know, enough blood comes out straight away from even a small puncture wound to be equal to the quantities above. For this reason, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of biting someone in a fight, unless it was an absolute last ditch resort (like I was being properly choked to death).

Of course, statistically, the chances of the person you bite being a carrier vary from place to place, but certainly it's a prevalent risk almost anywhere in the World now.

The question was, originally, should this be taught as a new basic. Personally, no, as an instructor I wouldn't be happy teaching this to my students given the risks involved.

Ian.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It wouldn't be hard at all, from my understanding. You could try to bite without breaking the skin, but, our teeth are designed to do just the opposite. Do you have that much control?

Dont know, I never bit anyone. Just saying that its an option to go along with everything that you have. I guess that everytime people leave the house, maybe we should carry a pair of rubber gloves with us. That way, if we get into a fight, we can tell the attacker to hold on, while we put them on to protect any cuts that we may have or get on our hands.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As anyone who's ever even pricked their arm or finger with a pin or needle will know, enough blood comes out straight away from even a small puncture wound to be equal to the quantities above.

Yes, but on the other hand, look at the very low rates of transmission by oral sex. Of course the bodily fluid there is not principally blood, but the nature of saliva also plays a role.

I just suspect that the risk here is exaggerated.

Latest Discussions