New here - Quote Tab?

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
New to Martial talk and already enjoying the friendly and respectful exchange of ideas. I feel like I've found new friends. Question - I've been replying to people with the reply tab - what is the quote tab used for?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The quote tab lets you quote multiple people in the same post, or split up one person's longer post into little pieces so that you can address their points individually.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
New to Martial talk and already enjoying the friendly and respectful exchange of ideas. I feel like I've found new friends. Question - I've been replying to people with the reply tab - what is the quote tab used for?
Welcome. I find it friendly and informative.

OP
B

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys - happy to have found this site so I can talk martial arts with others who feel the same passion. I started with Martial Arts Stack Exchange - a little 'tight' over there - haha. Love MartialTalk. Thanks again for the welcome.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use the REPLY button, the post you are replying to will be copied to your post, attributed to the original poster, and highlighted as quoted text.
If you want to break up a post into individual points, you insert {QUOTE} where you want a section to start and [/QUOTE] where you want it to end. I had to use curly brackets, of course, so that you can see the code, so you will use [] not {}.

If you use +QUOTE, the same thing happens, but with multiple posts. You hit REPLY on the last post you want to include, and all of the posts you clicked +QUOTE on (as well as the one on which you clicked REPLY will be quoted.

DonnieBravo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Thank you for this post, I am also new here and looking forward to learning a lot from different people from around the world in MT forum. I had a confusion about Quote but now since you have asked this question and reading some of the replies makes it crystal clear.

Many Thanks!

OP
B

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you use the REPLY button, the post you are replying to will be copied to your post, attributed to the original poster, and highlighted as quoted text.
If you want to break up a post into individual points, you insert {QUOTE} where you want a section to start and
where you want it to end. I had to use curly brackets, of course, so that you can see the code, so you will use [] not {}.

If you use +QUOTE, the same thing happens, but with multiple posts. You hit REPLY on the last post you want to include, and all of the posts you clicked +QUOTE on (as well as the one on which you clicked REPLY will be quoted.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - would've taken me awhile to figure that out.

OP
B

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for this post, I am also new here and looking forward to learning a lot from different people from around the world in MT forum. I had a confusion about Quote but now since you have asked this question and reading some of the replies makes it crystal clear.

Many Thanks!

Welcome!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Many Thanks!

Welcome to MT, Donnie. :)

DonnieBravo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Spare my ignorance, if i quote incorrectly. I'll learn how to quote with time.

I just wanted to thank Ben and Buka for having me on board. Glad to be here!

Much love to all!:playful:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The quote tab lets you quote multiple people in the same post, or split up one person's longer post into little pieces so that you can address their points individually.
We'll bugger me, three years I've been here and I never knew that!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We'll bugger me, three years I've been here and I never knew that!
maxresdefault.jpg

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned: if you want to quote just a portion of someone's comment or if you want to split up their comment into multiple quotes, you can use your mouse to highlight just the section of the comment you want. Wait a second or two and you should get a little popup giving you the reply/quote options just for that selection.

quotereplyexample.jpg

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned: if you want to quote just a portion of someone's comment or if you want to split up their comment into multiple quotes, you can use your mouse to highlight just the section of the comment you want. Wait a second or two and you should get a little popup giving you the reply/quote options just for that selection.
Why am I just learning this now? :banghead:

Latest Discussions