New 2nd Dan

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
This past Friday and Saturday, I tested for, and was promoted to 2nd Dan. I was a 1st Dan for 3 years. I know that's longer than most, but I like to take the time to fully absorb the material rather than rush for the next belt. Also, I was scheduled to test last September, but had a medical issue. My school only tests Black Belts twice per year.

I'm not officially recognized by the Kukkiwon (nor was I as a 1st Dan) because I didn't want to pay the fee. The school certificate is good enough for me as this is a personal journey. Just wanted to share!

Mike

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This past Friday and Saturday, I tested for, and was promoted to 2nd Dan. I was a 1st Dan for 3 years. I know that's longer than most, but I like to take the time to fully absorb the material rather than rush for the next belt. Also, I was scheduled to test last September, but had a medical issue. My school only tests Black Belts twice per year.

I'm not officially recognized by the Kukkiwon (nor was I as a 1st Dan) because I didn't want to pay the fee. The school certificate is good enough for me as this is a personal journey. Just wanted to share!

Mike
Congratulations. I have to ask though, when you say you didn't want to pay the fee, is it just the USD 100ish fee? If so, I'd really suggest it's worthwhile, in the event you move or change schools for other reasons.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congrats! There's nothing wrong with taking extra time. I think for adults especially, that's pretty normal. We've got a zillion things to do, often have health problems or injuries, and want to be perfect at the test, so it can take time beyond the minimum. I think I'd be up for 4th dan this fall if I'd rushed through, but I'm not in any hurry. It's not going anywhere.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mike
Congratulations, Mike! Don't feel bad about the long time between belts - I sat at purple belt (2nd highest student rank in NGA) for at nearly that long. :)

OP
Rough Rider

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from class, where i started learning Keumgang. There sure are a lot of things to nit-pick in that form!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got back from class, where i started learning Keumgang. There sure are a lot of things to nit-pick in that form!

There are a lot of things to nit-pick in EVERY form. I'm willing to bet some of us could watch you do your lowest form, and nit-pick details. Nobody is perfect.
Personally, I've been training (albeit with breaks of varying lengths) since 1969, and I have yet to do a single form perfectly. I'm not even convinced I've ever done a single technique perfectly.
I like Keumgang. It's a deceptively simple form. Done right, it's an excellent balance exercise, with so much time spent in the Crane stances, as well as the turning moves.

As for time in rank... my Master spent some 20 years without promoting, simply because he doesn't really care. Our Kwanjangnim eventually said something along the lines of 'You're promoted. Shut up. Put this on.' Just enjoy your training. The belt really isn't that important, when you get right down to it.

Last edited:

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations!

And don't worry too much about levels. It is more for motivation than a representation of the 'true' level...
But it is definitively an advantage to market yourself as an instructor (if you are/want to).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats, Mike!

Texas TKD Lady

White Belt
Reaction score
Keumgang is a mind-blower at first, but it's really fun once you get it down. Then you can start fine-tuning it. Congratulations on your promotion!

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Given that he's learning Kukkiwon yudanja poomsae, when would he learn yoo sin???

(to the OP, many congrats!)

In my dojang (WTF) - once we earn Black Belt - we're able to
learn ITF forms in addition to our own forms - and yoo sin is 67 moves..
awesome form - but long and difficult!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given that he's learning Kukkiwon yudanja poomsae, when would he learn yoo sin???

(to the OP, many congrats!)

Some schools (such as ours) teach more than one set of forms. Sometimes mandatory, sometimes optional.

Latest Discussions