Nengli

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being knowledgeable and skilled in a martial art are not automatically the same as not being dumb. Smart people tend to figure out how to make money. Fifteenth degree seems to me to be a scheme for making money. I’ll point out that you haven’t perhaps really answered my question. ;)

For some unknown reason I’m trying to take the high road here. I must be suffering from some sort of Polynesian Paralysis.

Was he skilled? Oh, God no. I honestly don’t think anyone could understand the actual degree of how little skill he had. Green belt level Karate skill at best. Weak green belt.
And I’m being very kind and I’m not saying it to belittle the man.

I must be going soft. I should go watch some action movies or something.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For some unknown reason I’m trying to take the high road here. I must be suffering from some sort of Polynesian Paralysis.

Was he skilled? Oh, God no. I honestly don’t think anyone could understand the actual degree of how little skill he had. Green belt level Karate skill at best. Weak green belt.
And I’m being very kind and I’m not saying it to belittle the man.

I must be going soft. I should go watch some action movies or something.
I knew I was on to you.

WhiteBeltNoStripe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, here I am about to join a Villaris school here in Florida. After reading all this, I'm not so sure anymore. It seems as though the two schools I've narrowed it down to, both have an unfavorable stigma attached to them. The other school is an ATA Taekwondo school. I don't know what to do anymore.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, here I am about to join a Villaris school here in Florida. After reading all this, I'm not so sure anymore. It seems as though the two schools I've narrowed it down to, both have an unfavorable stigma attached to them. The other school is an ATA Taekwondo school. I don't know what to do anymore.

Keep in mind Villari, while an ***, is not present in his schools anymore. And the curriculum itself is fine, and so are a decent number of the instructors. I can't say anything about your school in particular, but don't worry too much about the stigma.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Brother, all this talk was about the past. Long time ago. Can't really equate any of the nonsense then and there to any place near you in the here and now.

Go check it out, maybe it's terrific, maybe it's decent, maybe it's a fun place to train. Go see.

And please don't let any of my statements influence anything. Me and Fred just didn't like each other, both professionally and personally. One of the young guys in our school, back in the mid seventies, died of pneumonia, passed away in his sleep. Fred made a statement, that I overheard, and I think he wanted me to overhear, that he probably died due to competing in Full Contact.

I had to be restrained, I was going to do him harm. But that was a jillion years ago.

Ain't got NOTHING TO DO WITH NOW. So, please, don't let the ravings of an old fool influence anything.

Go see, you might be fortunate. Don't go see and you got nothing.

Keep us posted.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is always someone with something negative to say about any school or system. By and large... ignore it. Look at the school, look at the students, and see what you think for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think a lot of the issues in martial arts used to revolve around lineage and politics, that seems to have gone away somewhat and has been replaced by the MMA is better than TMA argument. dont let the SKK or FV disturb you,, there has been so much cross pollination over the years its nothing but a name now.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nengli North and South were never a two person set as far as I know. There were attempts for tournament purposes to match them as there were for 1 and 2 Kata. I have never heard of East and West Nengli and it would not make sense. Much of the North and South stuff is an attempt to relate to Chinese styles which are sometimes divided into Northern and Southern styles but never Western and Eastern.
Still love and train in SKK by the way :)

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks kempodisciple, I was a little worried about that. I know there were a handful of guys that used to post on here a few years ago but I may be a little late to the party...

old post and I thought I had responded... in any case I think some people may have tried to match them together as a two person set but they were not taught that way originally. As for East and West, I have never heard of those and it is unlikely as the North / South model was based on / marketed to show Chinese lineage. Chinese arts have been spoken of as Northern and Southern but never Eastern or Western.
My two cents and still actively training in SKK

Latest Discussions