Need more advice in cane fight practice

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really have to stop and read every comment later, I just don't have the time at this moment. I definitely will read them.

At the mean time, I read the first two or three replies and I watch the video and I totally agree. I did not use my shoulder at all, also I let the cane hang out too far from my body. So in the last few days, I really try to correct that first. Here is a quick video, please ignore the original video and comment on this one as a starting point. When I watch the original videos, it's embarrassing, so I want to make this new one quickly. To me, at least it looks a lot better.

I still need time to practice, I only practice a few days on this. But I think it is a start:

I cheated also, I use my old shorter cane that was in the video in July, it's 2" shorter and about 2oz lighter. I figure after I put in the time practicing, I will get back to the heavier cane. YES, seems like I can swing faster using the shoulder, waist and feet. Just like punching.

BTW, what is a good length of the cane? The one I use lately is 31" 20oz. The shorter one is 29" and 18oz. Seems like for self defense where it usually in more confined and crowed space, a shorter cane is actually better. I am not using the cane for walking, so shorter doesn't matter.

I read quickly about being rushed. I hope with a heavier cane, even though I cannot land in optimal way, but just the weigh of the cane can do enough damage. I don't know grappling and I won't have a partner to work with, so that's not something I can practice. I have enough injuries already, I don't think I want to go to a grappling school to learn for my own well being.

Thanks

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. Assuming you have to fight them unarmed, it's the best way. If you don't have to fight them, that's great. Another great option is to shoot them from a distance. But if it's your hands and their club, your best bet is to get inside.
So assuming you can't just stay the hell away from the crazy guy swinging the stick...that's tough to swallow, but ok. I'd prefer to stay away, but if I HAVE to attack the man with the stick, it's best to rush. Got it.

Thunderdome.

I would attack the legs, again that's just me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So assuming you can't just stay the hell away from the crazy guy swinging the stick...that's tough to swallow, but ok. I'd prefer to stay away, but if I HAVE to attack the man with the stick, so it's best to rush. Got it.
Is it? You live a sheltered life then. Lucky you. Let's see if I can come up with a few reasons why you can't stay away...
They are between me and the exit.
Running away will expose others to the persons attacks.
I'm at work. In which case the above would apply.
Thunderdome.

I would attack the legs, again that's just me.
How do you plan to do that without getting smacked by their weapon?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it? You live a sheltered life then. Lucky you. Let's see if I can come up with a few reasons why you can't stay away...
They are between me and the exit.
Running away will expose others to the persons attacks.
I'm at work. In which case the above would apply.

How do you plan to do that without getting smacked by their weapon?
Like any good bomber, low and under the radar. Definitely covering my skull.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like any good bomber, low and under the radar. Definitely covering my skull.
Because it would never occur to them to plant a knee in your conveniently lowered face. Or pound your kidneys and spine into pate'.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Guys, please get back to my cane practice that I posted in post #21.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, please get back to my cane practice that I posted in post #21.
We are. You do know there's two sides, right? I mean, it's silly to think you're going to find someone who will stand still.
In this case, you're the one rearranging Oily Dragons dental work and making him pee blood.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BTW, what is a good length of the cane? The one I use lately is 31" 20oz. The shorter one is 29" and 18oz.
I don't think this size difference is enough to cause any noticeable difference. The shape of the cane will probably affect your use more than the length. It probably has a larger effect on someone who needs a cane for walking than someone who doesn't needed it and oly carries it as a self defense tool.

The shape of the cane will have a much bigger effect..
I read quickly about being rushed. I hope with a heavier cane, even though I cannot land in optimal way, but just the weigh of the cane can do enough damage.
This comment reminds me of the assumption that you made with Iron Palm. An heavier can or cane in general will only do enough damage if you are attacking the correct areas of the bod and using the right technique. Always have an answer for this question:

What if I miss, then what? What happens next? What if you swing at their head and miss and they person closes the gap really quick. What are you going to do then? What is your plan? If you aren't factoring what to do when your attacks don't work as you plan then you are setting yourself up for a big loss.

So far your assumptions seem to rely heavy on that "one good hit" Train what you are going to use, but have a back up plan in mind.
I have enough injuries already, I don't think I want to go to a grappling school to learn for my own well being.
Here's something to get you started I guess.. It's a defense against someone who is trying to grab your cane. You just have to practice the movement that my son is doing. Step for step, don't alter it or try to fix it. Even the legs close together is important for training this movement. I'm not sure how much your wrist strap will create in correct hand placement on the cane. This should work even for cane with a curved handle. I removed the sound out of the video.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because it would never occur to them to plant a knee in your conveniently lowered face. Or pound your kidneys and spine into pate'.
They're too busy swinging a stick around to think about any of that.

Even if they did, my spine and kidneys are behind me and I'd welcome the knee.

A bridge is a bridge.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think this size difference is enough to cause any noticeable difference. The shape of the cane will probably affect your use more than the length. It probably has a larger effect on someone who needs a cane for walking than someone who doesn't needed it and oly carries it as a self defense tool.

The shape of the cane will have a much bigger effect..

This comment reminds me of the assumption that you made with Iron Palm. An heavier can or cane in general will only do enough damage if you are attacking the correct areas of the bod and using the right technique. Always have an answer for this question:

What if I miss, then what? What happens next? What if you swing at their head and miss and they person closes the gap really quick. What are you going to do then? What is your plan? If you aren't factoring what to do when your attacks don't work as you plan then you are setting yourself up for a big loss.

So far your assumptions seem to rely heavy on that "one good hit" Train what you are going to use, but have a back up plan in mind.

Here's something to get you started I guess.. It's a defense against someone who is trying to grab your cane. You just have to practice the movement that my son is doing. Step for step, don't alter it or try to fix it. Even the legs close together is important for training this movement. I'm not sure how much your wrist strap will create in correct hand placement on the cane. This should work even for cane with a curved handle. I removed the sound out of the video.

Thanks for the reply.

I did play with how your son push with the stick. Yes, this can push the attacker back. But does that give the opponent a good chance to grab the stick as you are pushing with the stick horizontally. Also, the movement is slow which make it a lot easier for opponent to grab.

What's wrong with poking with the tip of the cane to the lower body? Would it be a lot harder for the opponent to grab if you poke at the lower body?

I understand you don't use swing strike all the time as this can be blocked and all that. But poking seems to avoid all the short coming of the swing and it's harder to grab.

I'll let all the expert to join in with their opinions. I was told here that poking ( thrusting) is very important, in fact I am practicing a lot on thrusting now a days.

As for the length of the cane, a shorter cane can be used more efficiently in confined space, that's the reason I ask. I would consider buying a longer cane if it is important.

As for striking with a heavy cane. I know it's not the answer for everything. BUT if all else equal, if I practice swinging hard, using a heavier cane, even if I don't land at optimal situation when the opponent rush me, at least it will hit harder. Just look at the heavy weight fighters, they are slower, their form is usually bad. How many times you see them knock out the opponent with punch that look so bad and should not have KO power, but you see the opponent just drop? I just saw a UFC fight last week that the guy was backing up while the opponent attack and he threw a jab in really bad form with no obvious shoulder and waist. He DROPPED the opponent with that jab!!! ONE JAB!!! That ended the fight. I am not sure I can totally agree with what you said on this.

I practice on my own, I cannot practice defense blocking. I can only practice footwork to get away. It seems practicing hitting hard with a heavy cane is THE BEST option instead of all the fancy moves. That together with thrusting also. I know in the perfect world, I should practice grappling, be stronger and faster.............BUT my body is all I have, at almost 69 and with a lot of pain already..................

thanks

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really have to stop and read every comment later, I just don't have the time at this moment. I definitely will read them.

At the mean time, I read the first two or three replies and I watch the video and I totally agree. I did not use my shoulder at all, also I let the cane hang out too far from my body. So in the last few days, I really try to correct that first. Here is a quick video, please ignore the original video and comment on this one as a starting point. When I watch the original videos, it's embarrassing, so I want to make this new one quickly. To me, at least it looks a lot better.

I still need time to practice, I only practice a few days on this. But I think it is a start:

I cheated also, I use my old shorter cane that was in the video in July, it's 2" shorter and about 2oz lighter. I figure after I put in the time practicing, I will get back to the heavier cane. YES, seems like I can swing faster using the shoulder, waist and feet. Just like punching.

BTW, what is a good length of the cane? The one I use lately is 31" 20oz. The shorter one is 29" and 18oz. Seems like for self defense where it usually in more confined and crowed space, a shorter cane is actually better. I am not using the cane for walking, so shorter doesn't matter.

I read quickly about being rushed. I hope with a heavier cane, even though I cannot land in optimal way, but just the weigh of the cane can do enough damage. I don't know grappling and I won't have a partner to work with, so that's not something I can practice. I have enough injuries already, I don't think I want to go to a grappling school to learn for my own well being.

Thanks
I forgot to specify, This video is NOT just for self defense. I know there are a lot more like thrusting, kicking and all that for self defense. I make this video because I felt I did badly in the videos in post #1. I did not use my shoulders, waist and legs to swing and I did not pull the cane back close to my body and let it hanged out there.

This video in post #21 is mainly on casting and striking that I am working on. I think it at least looks a lot better than the two videos in post #1. I just want people to comment on #21 on casting. What do I have to improve from that on. forget the two videos in the first post.

thanks

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's just the reality of the weakness. That would come with a stick or cane. If Alan's going to rely on that cane for self-defense then he should at least know where it's weak.

cccccc

For this kind of full contact fights, I think I can agree with you that the rope around the wrist is not a good idea as I'll end up using elbows and all that.

Still, in a way, using a heavier cane and learn to strike hard should help to at least get a good wack first!!!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I did play with how your son push with the stick. Yes, this can push the attacker back. But does that give the opponent a good chance to grab the stick as you are pushing with the stick horizontally. Also, the movement is slow which make it a lot easier for opponent to grab.

What's wrong with poking with the tip of the cane to the lower body? Would it be a lot harder for the opponent to grab if you poke at the lower body?

I understand you don't use swing strike all the time as this can be blocked and all that. But poking seems to avoid all the short coming of the swing and it's harder to grab.

I'll let all the expert to join in with their opinions. I was told here that poking ( thrusting) is very important, in fact I am practicing a lot on thrusting now a days.

As for the length of the cane, a shorter cane can be used more efficiently in confined space, that's the reason I ask. I would consider buying a longer cane if it is important.

As for striking with a heavy cane. I know it's not the answer for everything. BUT if all else equal, if I practice swinging hard, using a heavier cane, even if I don't land at optimal situation when the opponent rush me, at least it will hit harder. Just look at the heavy weight fighters, they are slower, their form is usually bad. How many times you see them knock out the opponent with punch that look so bad and should not have KO power, but you see the opponent just drop? I just saw a UFC fight last week that the guy was backing up while the opponent attack and he threw a jab in really bad form with no obvious shoulder and waist. He DROPPED the opponent with that jab!!! ONE JAB!!! That ended the fight. I am not sure I can totally agree with what you said on this.

I practice on my own, I cannot practice defense blocking. I can only practice footwork to get away. It seems practicing hitting hard with a heavy cane is THE BEST option instead of all the fancy moves. That together with thrusting also. I know in the perfect world, I should practice grappling, be stronger and faster.............BUT my body is all I have, at almost 69 and with a lot of pain already..................

thanks
I am speaking from my Kali perspective so it may be different from what you are used to.

We never used a stick/cane as long as the one in your video, so methodology is a good bit different. A 'poke', unless overhanded, was something we never did unless we were engaged. Then it was always to a vital area (neck, eyes, gut, etc...). I suspect this is outside the range you are practicing from.

Since a cane would have a blunt end, I do not see how it can be expected to inflict damage. Add this to the fact that it is a small area, completing an accurate strike to an effective area would be difficult at best. When I think of how one would hold a cane for walking, and then trying to convert this to a poking strike, it just does not seem to have a ton of merit. When you contrast this motion to a fencer's thrust, it is a very different motion. Hopefully some of the fencer's on the forum will jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

As far as a heavier cane, in practice and application it would be a bad idea to me. Momentum, which is impacted by weight, can be hell on the body's joints. Repeatedly swinging a weighted cane would damage the wrists. Furthermore, just like in your boxer's analogy, a weighted cane would be slower, again affecting momentum and ultimately, effective power/force. Plus, this would make it easier to block or outright grab for a takeaway.
Sure, you could land a knockout, but how many times have you seen that happen on the first, second, or even third punch in a boxer's match?
Definitely, a person can improve their grip and forearm strength to accommodate a heavier cane but I would not do this by repeatedly swinging a heavy cane at full speed.

Maybe I am wrong, but I do not see a cane as a high percentage tool as a one or two strike, encounter ending weapon. In Kali it is an accumulation of strikes that usually end up as an opportunity for an ending blow, most often Not with the stick.
Is a cane great as a 'legal' carry weapon sound? Absolutely.
Is it logical to practice self-defense using a cane? Sure.
Just know the limitations and true practicality of using one. If you are looking at your own self-defense scenarios as something you cannot not or will not walk/run away from, then I encourage you to modify your ending. This includes additional carry weapons or better empty-handed training.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did play with how your son push with the stick. Yes, this can push the attacker back. But does that give the opponent a good chance to grab the stick as you are pushing with the stick horizontally.
The technique is a bait. You intentionally stand in the neutral position to give you a less aggressive stance. It's a technique for countering an attack. The neutral stance also leads your enemy's attack. Usually when people hold a stick down like that, the attacker will think to grab the stick. As they grab for it, you then smash the cane into the person's face.

In the video, you can see what that looks like as an application I try to grab the staff away from my son. Because the staff is low, it forces the person to grab at a downward angle. That downward grab is a longer grab so the enemy will miscalculate and come up short., As I grab for the staff it exposes my safe. In the video, I make an honest effort to grab the staff. It seems like the staff strike won't reach, but my son was being very careful not to smash me in my face.

Most people see this technique as a push, but if you try to use it as a push then it doesn't work well. However, it does work really well as countering strike to someone trying to take control of your staff, or in your case, a cane. This technique has a high percentage success rate it also has a follow up in the event that you miss or that your enemy is fast enough to get out of the way. I just didn't add those parts because this technique is simple but people tend to try "to fix it" or try to use it in a less effective manner.

Also, the movement is slow which make it a lot easier for opponent to grab.
It's not slow. It's very fast. It's done with explosive power. Have your wife try this technique on you and let me know if you still think it's slow? Some things have to be a slower speeds to prevent serious injury, like getting smashed in the face with a staff or in your case a cane.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since a cane would have a blunt end, I do not see how it can be expected to inflict damage.
it will cause damage as long as you use 2 hands to drive the thrust.. Sort of like taking the end of a bat and jabbing it into the mouth of your attacker. Using 2 hand is going to give more power than trying to thrust with one hand..

Maybe I am wrong, but I do not see a cane as a high percentage tool as a one or two strike, encounter ending weapon.
I agree. I definitely wouldn't be counting on one shot to end the fight.
Just know the limitations and true practicality of using one.
For me personally I wouldn't use a weapon unless I had a really good understanding of this one. Sometimes we start with the idea that something is really good and then discover later that there's a lot more to it than just hitting someone with a stick.. Unfortunately the idea that one good strike will end things is very common in Chinese martial arts circles.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am speaking from my Kali perspective so it may be different from what you are used to.

We never used a stick/cane as long as the one in your video, so methodology is a good bit different. A 'poke', unless overhanded, was something we never did unless we were engaged. Then it was always to a vital area (neck, eyes, gut, etc...). I suspect this is outside the range you are practicing from.

Since a cane would have a blunt end, I do not see how it can be expected to inflict damage. Add this to the fact that it is a small area, completing an accurate strike to an effective area would be difficult at best. When I think of how one would hold a cane for walking, and then trying to convert this to a poking strike, it just does not seem to have a ton of merit. When you contrast this motion to a fencer's thrust, it is a very different motion. Hopefully some of the fencer's on the forum will jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

As far as a heavier cane, in practice and application it would be a bad idea to me. Momentum, which is impacted by weight, can be hell on the body's joints. Repeatedly swinging a weighted cane would damage the wrists. Furthermore, just like in your boxer's analogy, a weighted cane would be slower, again affecting momentum and ultimately, effective power/force. Plus, this would make it easier to block or outright grab for a takeaway.
Sure, you could land a knockout, but how many times have you seen that happen on the first, second, or even third punch in a boxer's match?
Definitely, a person can improve their grip and forearm strength to accommodate a heavier cane but I would not do this by repeatedly swinging a heavy cane at full speed.

Maybe I am wrong, but I do not see a cane as a high percentage tool as a one or two strike, encounter ending weapon. In Kali it is an accumulation of strikes that usually end up as an opportunity for an ending blow, most often Not with the stick.
Is a cane great as a 'legal' carry weapon sound? Absolutely.
Is it logical to practice self-defense using a cane? Sure.
Just know the limitations and true practicality of using one. If you are looking at your own self-defense scenarios as something you cannot not or will not walk/run away from, then I encourage you to modify your ending. This includes additional carry weapons or better empty-handed training.
The following is my opinion. I might be making wrong assumptions here, you guys know better. Let me know if you disagree.

I actually started out using a lighter rattan cane and practice one hand swing at the beginning. I made this video in May this year ( about 2 months after I started practicing):

I used a cane that was about 11oz at the time. BUT then I watched a few matches on youtube of people fighting in escrima style, they literally hitting each other stupid from beginning to the end. They just hit each other stupid, and they kept hitting the whole way to the end. Yes, they did wear some protection, but the fact they still standing at the end with no slowing down really made me rethink about one hand using a light stick.

Yes, it's faster, but if there is NO stopping power, what good does that do? I know in real fight like what GowGaWolf showed, you really only have the first few seconds to strike effectively before the enemy comes too close. In my mind, I have to make it count for the first 5 seconds. I since switch to two hands strike and using a cane almost double the weight. I can tell you that I practice hitting the heavy bag. This is like punching and kicking, no amount of striking in the air will get you the power, you gain speed by striking the air, NOT POWER. I can assure you the two hands strike with the heavy cane hit so so much harder than one handed using a rattan cane. My rattan cane is over 1" thick with burned skin. It's a lot harder and heavier than those in escrima fight. I have those escrima sticks. The 3/4" 28"long weight just 6oz. Even the much bigger ones are only 8oz. You see those people swing so pretty because there's no weight behind it. Hitting the heavy bag with those sounds like tapping rather than really hitting. You should know that. When I hit the bag with the heavy cane using both hands, you can hear the echo, so much louder. You know you have a good hit......Just like punching. You can hear the sound and know how hard you hit.

As for speed, unless using a 6oz stick, it is definitely faster. But using a 11oz rattan cane with one hand, it is NOT any faster than using a 20oz cane swing with both hands. Using two hands is the KEY difference. On top of everything, you never can get good control with one hand swing. I tried that already, it's very hard to do casting with one hand. I imagine in real fight, you won't have the open space like in a match. You have things in the way. I watched and learn escrima/kali style, they pretty much swing from one side of the shoulder, through an arc and stop at the other shoulder. For competition with big open space, it's not a problem. You gather speed and swing through it. BUT in self defense like in the restaurant where there are chairs, tables and people around, you can never make a wide swing that easy. You hit other things on the way. Casting seems to be the best way for self defense as I don't throw an arc, also I stop the cane if I miss instead of carrying the swing all the way to the other shoulder. I have so much more control using two hands and the swing is so much more compact.

If you look at the second video in the first post, I practice in the entry way of my house where the space is confined. I pretended the door post as different target and swing to attack. There's no way I can do that with one hand and a light cane.

This is my opinion, I ended up choosing a heavy cane, swing with two hands and practice casting that is much more suitable for real life situation with confined space. Assuming I only have 5 seconds to strike before the enemy getting too close. I don't count on knocking the guy out in the first strike, but I do count on a much higher chance to injure the guy and cause a lot of pain to slow him down first.

Thanks

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it will cause damage as long as you use 2 hands to drive the thrust.. Sort of like taking the end of a bat and jabbing it into the mouth of your attacker. Using 2 hand is going to give more power than trying to thrust with one hand..

I agree. I definitely wouldn't be counting on one shot to end the fight.

For me personally I wouldn't use a weapon unless I had a really good understanding of this one. Sometimes we start with the idea that something is really good and then discover later that there's a lot more to it than just hitting someone with a stick.. Unfortunately the idea that one good strike will end things is very common in Chinese martial arts circles.
I never expect to KO anyone in one blow, just the heavier the cane swing with both hands can hit harder. My aim is to inflict injury and pain to slow the guy down first. I still believe in hitting heavy, be it punching and kicking or cane. That's why I spend time on the heavy bag.

I am trying to learn the cane fight, I make assumptions, but I post it here and let everyone comment. Like what you show on the stick fight makes sense, the rope on the wrist might not be the best idea. Also when you explain the two hand holding the stick horizontally make sense. So you just hold with two hands, keep it low, bate the guy to reach low to grab the stick and you push the stick horizontally to his face.

Thanks

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The following is my opinion. I might be making wrong assumptions here, you guys know better. Let me know if you disagree.

I actually started out using a lighter rattan cane and practice one hand swing at the beginning. I made this video in May this year ( about 2 months after I started practicing):

I used a cane that was about 11oz at the time. BUT then I watched a few matches on youtube of people fighting in escrima style, they literally hitting each other stupid from beginning to the end. They just hit each other stupid, and they kept hitting the whole way to the end. Yes, they did wear some protection, but the fact they still standing at the end with no slowing down really made me rethink about one hand using a light stick.

Yes, it's faster, but if there is NO stopping power, what good does that do? I know in real fight like what GowGaWolf showed, you really only have the first few seconds to strike effectively before the enemy comes too close. In my mind, I have to make it count for the first 5 seconds. I since switch to two hands strike and using a cane almost double the weight. I can tell you that I practice hitting the heavy bag. This is like punching and kicking, no amount of striking in the air will get you the power, you gain speed by striking the air, NOT POWER. I can assure you the two hands strike with the heavy cane hit so so much harder than one handed using a rattan cane. My rattan cane is over 1" thick with burned skin. It's a lot harder and heavier than those in escrima fight. I have those escrima sticks. The 3/4" 28"long weight just 6oz. Even the much bigger ones are only 8oz. You see those people swing so pretty because there's no weight behind it. Hitting the heavy bag with those sounds like tapping rather than really hitting. You should know that. When I hit the bag with the heavy cane using both hands, you can hear the echo, so much louder. You know you have a good hit......Just like punching. You can hear the sound and know how hard you hit.

As for speed, unless using a 6oz stick, it is definitely faster. But using a 11oz rattan cane with one hand, it is NOT any faster than using a 20oz cane swing with both hands. Using two hands is the KEY difference. On top of everything, you never can get good control with one hand swing. I tried that already, it's very hard to do casting with one hand. I imagine in real fight, you won't have the open space like in a match. You have things in the way. I watched and learn escrima/kali style, they pretty much swing from one side of the shoulder, through an arc and stop at the other shoulder. For competition with big open space, it's not a problem. You gather speed and swing through it. BUT in self defense like in the restaurant where there are chairs, tables and people around, you can never make a wide swing that easy. You hit other things on the way. Casting seems to be the best way for self defense as I don't throw an arc, also I stop the cane if I miss instead of carrying the swing all the way to the other shoulder. I have so much more control using two hands and the swing is so much more compact.

If you look at the second video in the first post, I practice in the entry way of my house where the space is confined. I pretended the door post as different target and swing to attack. There's no way I can do that with one hand and a light cane.

This is my opinion, I ended up choosing a heavy cane, swing with two hands and practice casting that is much more suitable for real life situation with confined space. Assuming I only have 5 seconds to strike before the enemy getting too close. I don't count on knocking the guy out in the first strike, but I do count on a much higher chance to injure the guy and cause a lot of pain to slow him down first.

Thanks
That's a good analysis of your training and trying to figure it out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never expect to KO anyone in one blow, just the heavier the cane swing with both hands can hit harder. My aim is to inflict injury and pain to slow the guy down first. I still believe in hitting heavy, be it punching and kicking or cane. That's why I spend time on the heavy bag.

I am trying to learn the cane fight, I make assumptions, but I post it here and let everyone comment. Like what you show on the stick fight makes sense, the rope on the wrist might not be the best idea. Also when you explain the two hand holding the stick horizontally make sense. So you just hold with two hands, keep it low, bate the guy to reach low to grab the stick and you push the stick horizontally to his face.

Thanks
I might have access to cane here. It's not a self defense cane or anything like that, but I should be able to use the straight end to test some things out. with close range fighting techniques used in staff.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I might have access to cane here. It's not a self defense cane or anything like that, but I should be able to use the straight end to test some things out. with close range fighting techniques used in staff.
Please, I am all ears. I don't have experience, everything is theoretical here. That's why I keep posting and get opinion. I learn things from you I never think of. Like the horizontal cane, it makes no sense until you explained in detail to bait the opponent.

I really have to rethink about the rope around the wrist after watching the videos you provided. Maybe it's a good thing not to have the rope. I have been practicing missing the target to get use to it and not to lose the cane. Without the rope, I can put back my foam handle which is so much better for my hands. I make it so the rope can slide up and down the cane. For that, I cannot put the foam handle. Look at my hand from the practice. The two callus are very painful. I had to put the foam on the handle to make the last video, or else, I cannot even swing the cane lately. Look at how bad my hand is.

Callus .jpg