Names of katas?

• Thread starter purplekenposkunk
  • Start date

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only comment on things I have certain knowledge of. I am new here and mean no disrespect.
I don't think anybody takes it as disrespectful. It's just a point of amusement to see ancient threads (this one is from 2003...) revived by new posters.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Restomp the groin!
This is close to what the "Dance of Death" is about - doing stomps and kicks, with a couple of other unique painful goodies, on a downed opponent, sort of like a tap dance. A lot of fun to do.

This is a real thing. Taught to me personally by Ed Parker in '74. Don't know if it made its way into his formal curriculum. Not a whole form, more like "hand set,"
a fairly short series concentrating on a particular class of techniques.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
This is close to what the "Dance of Death" is about - doing stomps and kicks, with a couple of other unique painful goodies, on a downed opponent, sort of like a tap dance. A lot of fun to do.

This is a real thing. Taught to me personally by Ed Parker in '74. Don't know if it made its way into his formal curriculum. Not a whole form, more like "hand set,"
a fairly short series concentrating on a particular class of techniques.

I am quite sure the "restomp the groin" is a direct reference to Kenpo. Anyway for reference this is the full "Dance of Death" technique in AK. Go to 4:30 to see the full technique.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It's an Ameri-Do-Te reference...
Yup, and Matt Page is a long time Kenpo guy. Actually unless I totally misremember Master Ken's last name was Po very early on in that series, but I think they haven't used that since very early on.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am quite sure the "restomp the groin" is a direct reference to Kenpo. Anyway for reference this is the full "Dance of Death" technique in AK. Go to 4:30 to see the full technique.
Interesting. This version has more hand and less foot technique than what Mr. Parker taught me, though it's very similar otherwise. Quite possible he refined it after the mid 70's and got further changed by others more recently.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting. This version has more hand and less foot technique than what Mr. Parker taught me, though it's very similar otherwise. Quite possible he refined it after the mid 70's and got further changed by others more recently.
This version is from the Tracy Kenpo side of the tree and they split off in the mid 60s, and it is essentially identical to the earlier version.

Latest Discussions