Long 3

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first learned this form I thought it was very boring. I think I was introduced to it with that kind of attitude and I adopted it. It wasn't until later that I could appreciate the value of the form.

The questions I have are 1) at the end of destructive twins I noticed on Mr. Billings site he listed to...

5. With that left hand, grab them and pull them into a right reverse punch as you shift into a horsestance facing 10:30.

6. Execute a right push-down block as you pull back slightly; execute a right reverse punch again to the attacker's solar plexus.

7. Execute a right backfist to your attacker's face.

Here are my questions...is the grab after the spear hand to the eyes "new", I didn't learn that grab back in 80's, it seems like a logical move. Also, when you reverse punch at step 6 doesn't the opponent grab your hand? and does the "right push-down block" come out/or after a mini figure 8 that gets your hand free from that grab?

Finally, what are the main points to be taken out of this form?

Thanks, jb:asian:

p.s. This isn't picking on Mr. B's site, but he has nice enough to list the info so I'm using it for reference and as a learning tool. I am very grateful for this tool, as are many others I'm sure.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, real good stuff. Thanks for the additional info when we talked yesterday as well.

jb:asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

:asian:

I have no clue, but does it have anything to do with a mirror, or reflection or opposite since you do each techique right and left?

jb:confused:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't want anyone to know I know you on a personal basis...... geezzzzzzz those are copyrighted photos.....!!

What on earth were you thinking......

:rofl:

As they say, be careful who you let take your picture. You never know how they'll use it. :D

jb:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo

------The questions I have are 1) at the end of destructive twins I noticed on Mr. Billings site he listed to...

5. With that left hand, grab them and pull them into a right reverse punch as you shift into a horsestance facing 10:30.---------

Actually it is not a grab but a counter wrist-flex (as I learned it)

------6. Execute a right push-down block as you pull back slightly; execute a right reverse punch again to the attacker's solar plexus.--------

No push down, but a Control Manipulation as you take hi arm to a Bouyant Hand Position creating a Negative Body Posture to accentuate the next move.

-----7. Execute a right backfist to your attacker's face.----

The backfist is not to the face but attacks gall blader point.

----=Here are my questions...is the grab after the spear hand to the eyes "new",----

There is nothing "new." Only what you haven't been taught which will be "new" to you. Dennis knows.

------I didn't learn that grab back in 80's, it seems like a logical move. Also, when you reverse punch at step 6 doesn't the opponent grab your hand?-----

Multi-level answer. See? Now you know why there is a Control manipulation. You're smarter than I thought. Of course if you hadn't messed up I'd be teaching that move in a month or so. :)

Secondly at the lower level it is not a punch but a hip displacement misalign in preparation for a takedown in the Default Technique Sequence as I teach it.

----and does the "right push-down block" come out/or after a mini figure 8 that gets your hand free from that grab?----

That will not extricate your hand or arm.

OP
S

Scott Bonner

I'd have to kill ya'

maybe in a private lesson

What is the point of keeping form nicknames secret? Seems silly to me.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
while attending the IKC in Boston, I was amazed to see in just about every upper rank division, Someone performing Long 3 in competition. upper ranking black belts, to even blue belts. And the multitude of ways it was performed astounded me. There were 2 guys representing Mexico in the mens brown belt division and they both did one side of Long 3, all the Left side.. nothing at all done on the right. Some people did the form slow motion, almost isometrically, some combined the techniques into more of a ballet, others when it came to Dominating circles .. Pushed those palm heels out ever so slowly...............I saw Long 3 done as a Team competition form with 3 people doing it simultaneously.

I, myself like the form for most part, it does flow pretty well other than Wings of Silk which I really really don't like :) (coined twirly whirlys with our team :)

just an observation

Latest Discussions