Name that techniques or Poomse

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Well now, KK, you say an "easy one," but perhaps not so easy. Naturally it is not Taegeuk 1, because you said it starts with a "front stance." Taegeuk 1, 2, and 3, all begin with walking stances. In fact, the only two Taegeuk forms that begin with front stances are 5, and 6, but neither of those follow with a punch.

Now, you could be talking about Palgwe 3 (Sam Jang) which begins the first four movements as you described, or the answer could be Chon-ji of the Chang Hon forms from General Choi. There is also a basic form called "Kicho" that is used in many WTF Taekwondo schools for white belt that uses an "I" pattern and has the four moves you described at the beginning, and top of the "I" pattern, and again at the base.

Now, here's one for anyone to guess:
(somewhere in the form)

"Assume a left walking stance (wen apseogi), Execute a left outside-inside body block (Momtong An Makgi). Keep both feet fixed. Execute a right body punch (Oreun Momtong Jireugi)."

Good Luck! :)
CM D. J. Eisenhart

Tae Guek Sah jang (4) :)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Now, you could be talking about Palgwe 3 (Sam Jang) which begins the first four movements as you described, or the answer could be Chon-ji of the Chang Hon forms from General Choi. There is also a basic form called "Kicho" that is used in many WTF Taekwondo schools for white belt that uses an "I" pattern and has the four moves you described at the beginning, and top of the "I" pattern, and again at the base.

True. Maybe it wasn't so easy ... oops. But you guessed it with the last sentence above. It's Kicho hyung Il bu.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
True. Maybe it wasn't so easy ... oops. But you guessed it with the last sentence above. It's Kicho hyung Il bu.

Here's a side question for you, KK. Do you know what the term "Kicho" means in Korean?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Here's a side question for you, KK. Do you know what the term "Kicho" means in Korean?

Oh wow! I haven't been in TSD for almost 5 years ... Let's see if I can remember. Um, I believe kicho hyung Il bu means "beginning form one" or first beginning form or something along those lines (we don't use Korean in TKD except for basic commands so I forgot most Korean terms that I learned in TSD).

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
rmclain said:
Basic form 1st chapter (Basic form #1) can also be, "Kibon Hyung Il Chol." R. McLain

Interesting choice of words, "1st chapter," does make sense because the first chapter comes at the beginning. In Taekwondo, we often define words by their use in training. Kicho is a beginning form, therefore it could be interpreted as the first "chapter" in a series of forms. "Kibon" (also "Gibon"), means basic as in "Gibon Undong" (basic exercise), or Gibon Junbi Seogi (basic ready stance). I always like to learn the origin of the term as well.

The Korean word "Kicho" ( 기초 ), means "foundation" or "base" like that of a building, or a flag pole stand. The base which supports anything is the "kicho." It can mean the fundamentals or basics, or it can mean the founding, origin, or beginning of something. I think the best application to the hyung is that it is the foundation, or the base upon which you build the rest of your form practice.

Ok, now back to the game . . . :)

"Jump to 'C' forming L. X-stance while executing H.S. side strike with L. back fist."

CM D. J. Eisenhart

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner, you seem to know a lot of Korean. I'd like to learn it. Would you be willing to teach someone?

Anyways, you got me on that technique. I'm guessing it's a palgwe. Correct?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the Kee Chos were named for Grandmaster Hwang Kee, with the 'cho' part meaning beginning or first, as in Pyung Ahn Cho Dan and Naihanji Cho Dan.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
crushing said:
It was my understanding that the Kee Chos were named for Grandmaster Hwang Kee, with the 'cho' part meaning beginning or first, as in Pyung Ahn Cho Dan and Naihanji Cho Dan.

Do you mean "named for" him, or named by him? I don't know who gave the Kicho forms their name, or who created the patterns, but the term "kicho" is embeded in the Korean Language, and in the dictionaries. Check out the online Korean Dictionary (this links the page for "foundation")

http://www.zkorean.com/dictionary.php?direction=ek&word=Foundation

Notice the line that says "Foundation (basis) 기초" Those Korean characters are for the letters K, I, CH, and O, (read left to right, top to bottom), and the word "kicho" (pronounced "kee cho") is defined as a foundation, basis, origin, or the begining of something.

KK, Thanks for your comment. I have studied the language for some time, and find it easy to read and write (still working on speaking it fluently). You asked, "Would you be willing to teach someone?" and the answer is "I do." I teach my students. :) Now, if you mean would I be willing to teach someone such as you?, then I'll say that I will help answer questions in another thread if you like (you start it, I'll try and follow). In the mean time- use this link to practice translating Enlglish words to hangul:

http://www.zkorean.com/dictionary.shtml

Then use this next link to learn how to translate those hangul characters to Korean words using the English Alphabet:

http://www.zkorean.com/appearance.shtml

As for the game . . . sorry, not a palgwe. :(

I'll give you a hint: "b/l/u/eXc\o\t\t\a\g\e" :)

CM D. J. Eisenhart

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Here is a take on another thread:

Please name the proper poomse.
Then give another one in it place,...
Terry

That would be palgwe Chi Jang.

OK, now my turn... Kyung ye, Choon Bee, turn left into a back stance with double middle knife hands. Then slide forward into a front stance while performing a left press down palm block and a right hand spear hand. Next move?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:

OK, now my turn... Kyung ye, Choon Bee, turn left into a back stance with double middle knife hands. Then slide forward into a front stance while performing a left press down palm block and a right hand spear hand. Next move?

Taegeuk 4 :) Um. Now I have to think of one .... Um .... Ok, this is in the middle of a form. Front stance, reverse punch. right side kick, then left side kick. Then back stance and double knife hands (as cali put it LOL ;) ).

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
KK, Thanks for your comment. I have studied the language for some time, and find it easy to read and write (still working on speaking it fluently). You asked, "Would you be willing to teach someone?" and the answer is "I do." I teach my students. :) Now, if you mean would I be willing to teach someone such as you?, then I'll say that I will help answer questions in another thread if you like (you start it, I'll try and follow). In the mean time- use this link to practice translating Enlglish words to hangul:

http://www.zkorean.com/dictionary.shtml

Then use this next link to learn how to translate those hangul characters to Korean words using the English Alphabet:

http://www.zkorean.com/appearance.shtml

Thanks for the links :)

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Interesting choice of words, "1st chapter," does make sense because the first chapter comes at the beginning. CM D. J. Eisenhart

In "Kibon Hyung Il Chol," the "chol"-part means "chapter or page."

R. McLain

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
... Then back stance and double knife hands (as cali put it LOL ;) ).

Hey, hey, hey, it was late at night when I punched that in, I was tired and a bit woosey... :drinky:

Anyway, yup you hit it, Poomse Tae Guek Sah Jang. Let me clean up my initial post, how about this for the correct description of the first move:

Look and turn left, execute a Left double knife hand block, right back stance...

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
"Jump to 'C' forming L. X-stance while executing H.S. side strike with L. back fist."

cali_tkdbruin said:

Cali tkdbruin, if your answer was meant to be Chil Jang in response to my clue, then it would not be correct - - sorry!

The hint I gave was "blue cottage," meaning that it was one of General Choi's forms from the Chang Heon system (or "Ch'ang Hon Yu").

The correct answer to mine was movement #36 of Yul Kok Hyung (the 5th form of the Chang Heon patterns).

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
Hey, hey, hey, it was late at night when I punched that in, I was tired and a bit woosey... :drinky:

Anyway, yup you hit it, Poomse Tae Guek Sah Jang. Let me clean up my initial post, how about this for the correct description of the first move:

Look and turn left, execute a Left double knife hand block, right back stance...

I liked the other way you put it better :) I thought it was kinda cute in a way.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Cali tkdbruin, if your answer was meant to be Chil Jang in response to my clue, then it would not be correct - - sorry!
quote]

I'm not familiar with ITF hyung, only the WTF variety. Anyway, to me, that move is similar to what you'd see in Chil Jang.

Whatever branch or association you go with, poomse is poomse, and practicing them is a great way to not only work out, but also to practice your TKD techniques. Great stuff... :asian:

Latest Discussions