My understanding of the Tae Geuk poomse

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
There has been a good deal of discussion regarding forms on this board. The Tae Geuk Poomse have not fared well in these discussions, often being criticized as sport oriented rather than SD oriented due to some of its narrower stances. Another critique often cited is the lack of practical application known in JMAs as bunkai. These notions could not be less accurate. The Tae Geuk poomse are full of practical applications for the use of SD, some might say too many. Before I address the applications of the poomse, I should first discuss some of the lessons that I learned at my school so that you may gain insight on my perspective.
The basic curriculum of my school divided the core of TKD into four pillars. 1) Philosophy and Principles: This began with an ethical and moral code of conduct and moved on to fighting philosophies and principles of application, the what we do and why we do it of TKD. 2) The Basic Skills and Techniques: There were 18 basic techniques at my school, 6 stances, 6 kicks and 6 strikes. Proficiency with these techniques is key; by combining or modifying them you can perform a seemingly endless multitude of distinct skills and techniques. 3) Sparring: This included a variety of force on force training exercises with the ultimate goal of gaining practical experience by simulating the intensity of a real confrontation as closely as possible. 4) Poomse: I never learned the forms as a simulated fight but rather a collection of thematically similar movements geared towards SD and anti-smothering/anti-grappling. Each segment of the form was its own maneuver with all the techniques being preformed in one fluid motion. It did not necessarily have any thing to do with the segment before or after it but they complemented each other. The fighting philosophies and principles are the key to unlocking the application of the forms, without their knowledge the poomse are meaningless movements. Conversely, the poomse allow for better understanding of many of the philosophies and principles by bringing them out of the theoretical world through tangible demonstration.
I was taught that H2H combat consisted of two components, 1) fighting and 2) SD and anti-smothering/anti-grappling. Fighting is basically the delivery of extreme force to your adversary; the goal is to overwhelm them with speed, power and aggression, knocking them unconscious as quickly as possible. We were taught to “own the violence” of the altercation. Fighting generally favors kicking techniques to hand techniques 70/30 and is instinctive and reactionary, see an opening hit it, perceive an opening hit it and keep on hitting until there is nothing left to hit. Your opponent may attempt to stifle your fighting ability either by catching you of guard with a surprise attack or by smothering and grappling with you. In this case you lack the time and/or the space needed to employ your “fighting” skill. This is when the SD or anti-smothering/anti-grappling techniques need to be used. These maneuvers generally favor hand techniques to kicks 70/30 and can be found in the Tae Geuk poomse. SD refers to techniques that respond to an unexpected attack, the “I’m walking down the street minding my own business when all of a sudden I notice a fist or foot flying at me or a body lunge towards me from the corner of my eye” scenario. These are often very simple block/strike or strike/strike maneuvers. Since they are reactionary techniques where time is of the essence you may not have the opportunity to step into a deep powerful stance so they are often but not all ways preformed from a narrower stance. The goal is to get your hands up deflect the blow as much as possible, create some space and buy yourself a few fractions of a second to assess who is attacking you, with what they are attacking and how many are attacking. Anti-smothering/anti-grappling techniques are meant to break holds and create space. It is very difficult to hit someone with a powerful blow if they are holding you or pressed up very close to you. Power blows require a certain amount of movement in order to build that power; deprived of that movement the blow becomes dramatically less effective if not useless. The anti-smothering/anti-grappling techniques help create the space needed for your powerful “fighting” blows.
Now on to the forms; keep in mind that there are several variations of the Tae Geuk poomse. Apparently the KKW has made several minor changes to their official version over the years, some still practice the older variants. Many individual schools also have their own take on the forms. I, for example, never learned the walking stance, we used a front stance but it was not an overly labored front stance, it was just at the end of ones natural stride and would still be considered somewhat shallow by “traditionalist” who prefer the front knee near parallel to your rear, deep front stance. This is not to say that deep stances are lacking in the poomse, which is a popular misconception, there are many deep stance within the Tae Geuk poomse. Deep stances are executed along with shallow stances, accompanied by an appropriate technique, demonstrating the wide range of mobility within TKD footwork. Other differences I have noticed include the palm blocks. I have seen many perform the palm blocks with an inward motion, I was taught to do them downward. The changes to, and variations of the Tea Geuk poomse have led some to criticize them as having no traditional consistency, therefore having little to no real practical value. It should be no surprise to you by now that I strongly disagree with this opinion. Of all the minor variation I have seen, none have conflicted with the underlying philosophy or principle, which is key to the effective application of the movement. Making a stance a bit shallower or changing the trajectory of a strike from inward with some downward movement to downward with some inward movement has never affected the theory behind the technique, which is most important. I find it ironic that people who have to modify the techniques of their forms when applying them in a practical manner, (accounting for their stature and the stature of their adversary, which is fine because the theory remains the same) scream bloody murder when the movements within the form itself are modified in a similar fashion.
With regards to application, one must understand that the use of a particular technique varies based on which of the philosophies or principles you are applying. Many segments with in the forms have several applications; this is one reason why I believe that the KMA equivalent of JMA bunkai is not generally taught along side the poomse. Teaching them all would be overwhelming and very confusing, and focusing on just one could hinder the student’s later understanding of the complexity and flexibility of the poomse. Rather one focuses on the movement itself, engraining the motion into their body and mind, only later over time receiving the keys to unlock the multiple meanings behind the movement.

Later, I’ll poast some applications of the poomse.

Thanks for reading- Foot2face

OP
F

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here are some of the applications I promised. I chose these techniques because they are among the most simple and straight forward. While I believe that it is best taught in person where you see what’s being done and can interact, I am going to attempt to describe a few techniques with their applications and discuss some of the philosophy and principles behind them. Lets begin with the opening movement in Tae Geuk E Jang. One turns left into a shallow front stance while executing a low block then steps into a deeper front stance while executing a mid-level punch. This is a basic SD block/strike combo with several applications. One involves quickly deflecting a lower blow from your attackers right side opening them up taking their center and stepping into them with a heavy strike to their upper-mid torso usually to the solar plexus. The idea here is to drive your attacker backwards gaining space and buying time. This is accomplished by lunging forward thru your attacker with a driving blow directed at their lower chest region at and angle perpendicular to their line of stability. This is the best angle and region to attack in order to move your adversary backward with a blow. A blow thrown to the torso at a narrow angle in relation to the line of stability (between 0 and 45 degrees) lands on a more stable target, which causes it to absorb more energy from the blow, a good thing if you want to damage your adversary. A blow that lands closer to 90 degrees attacks your adversary’s stability at its most vulnerable angle using energy from the strike to drive them back. Strikes that land in the lower chest region are perfect for attacking your opponent’s line of balance. If it lands lower, closer to their center of balance, its energy will be mostly absorbed and often, causes the target to move forward. If it lands in the head region there is a higher probability that a portion of the blow will be deflected off the target rather than sticking and driving it back. This is aided by the flexibility of the neck as well. Another application involves blocking a blow from your attackers left side stepping in towards their outside and delivering a powerful strike. This application demonstrates the use of “advantages positioning”, by stepping in towards their outside I end up somewhat behind them partially in a blind spot. This is a very difficult position for my adversary to attack from, allowing for only a few immediately effective blows (which are easy to see coming and defend). It also requires a lot of movement in order to recover a less dangerous position. The strike in this application is the exact opposite of the strike in the previous application, striking at a narrow angle delivers its energy into the target rather than thru it. The target can be the ribs, kidney, spine or back of the head depending on your stature and the stature of your opponent. Between the advantageous position and the stunning strike you have time to assess the situation and prepare to fight. This poomse continues with segments only containing blocks. This demonstrates that the blocks in TKD are actually strikes that can be used defensively as well as offensively. The first segment has you turn to the left and perform a high block with your left arm and then step forward with you right foot and perform a high block with your right arm. The applications for this segment are mostly used as a striking anti-smothering maneuver. The one I’m going to describe only addresses the first strike where as the second is for symmetry. While standing chest to chest with a taller opponent whose head is just to your left step 90 degrees to your left striking your adversary with an upward hammer fist to their chin or jaw. In a similar segment later in the poomse, you turn to your left while performing an inside block with your right arm. When being smoothed by an adversary who is shorter than you or one who places their head below yours, just to the left (as a grappler might, attempting to clinch and drive you back) turning 90 degrees towards you left into a front stance allows you to land a solid hammer fist to their head. These techniques demonstrate the value of turning or circling while you strike (a common theme in the Tae Geuk poomse, with nearly every segment beginning with a turn). Turning offers numerous benefits. It allows you to step offline of your adversary’s momentum, a more advantageous position. Turning reveals targets which were previously unavailable. The head, which was in an awkward and difficult location to strike effectively, becomes a viable target simply by adjusting my position with a turn. Turning also opens up space, allowing for the movement needed to deliver a substantial blow. Instead of the choppy rabbit punches that are commonly thrown from this position, one is able to gain full waist rotation and greater arm extension thru tuning. Keep in mind that I am talking about space not distance. Many strikers speak of controlling the distance in order to land effective blows, I was not taught this. I was taught to control space, its not how near or far you are from your adversary but how much space you have to move within, that determines the effectiveness of a blow. In the above application your location in relation to your adversary does not change, you remain very close to each other. You don’t jump back or away to gain the room needed to strike, you just rotate your position with a turn to your left, creating space.
Lets move on to Tae Geuk Oh Jang. The opening segment in this poomse has you turn 90 degrees to your left, stepping into a front stance while executing a low block with your left arm. You then pull back into a narrow stance performing a very circular downward hammer fist. The applications for this segment run the field, covering SD, anti-smothering and anti-grappling, I’ll only address a few. The first application is a strike/strike anti-smothering maneuver. Step into your adversary delivering a strike to their “below the belt” region. Now you’re really on top of each other so pull back to create space while landing a hammer fist to their head. This application demonstrated the principle of low/high attacking as well as the effectiveness of circular blows while moving backwards. The head region (neck and above) is the most desirable area to strike, offering the best targets for immediately incapacitating your adversary. It is, however, difficult to hit, often being the best guarded and most urgently defend target. Attacking at levels first staring low and then moving high increase the probability of landing a blow to the head. Attacking with a combo the starts low offers several advantages. The lower region is often not guarded, allowing for a higher success rate with the first strike. If they do defend the area they have to bring a hand down, exposing a portion of their head for your following hand strike. People also tend to cover where they have just been hit, again exposing their head. Even if your adversary is disciplined and absorbs the blow while maintaining his guard the following head strike can still be successful. Blows to the “below the belt” region typically cause your target to lean into the blow if not double over. This does two things; it lowers their head making it much more susceptible to a power shot, it also mitigate the defensive shield of the guard, opening up a line of attack. Stand in front of a mirror put up a good guard see how it protects your head region, now lean over just a few inches while maintaining your guard and notice how much more of your head is exposed. Linear strikes that go strait in to your target can be very powerful but they loose effectiveness if delivered while moving backward, tuning an otherwise knockout blow into an annoying jab. Circular strikes are not as susceptible to this loss of power and can be used effectively in conjunction with backward movement. Another application is an anti-grappling technique. An attacker standing to you left grabs your left wrist with their left hand and pulls you forward off balance. This is a technique use by some karate systems where they grab you pull you off balance, control and trap you with the hold while they proceed to beat you mercilessly with their free hand. Any attempt to counter or recover position is usually met with another jerk pulling your of balance. It is much more preferable to counter before you get in to this position, avoid the grab and trap. As the attacker grabs and pulls, you step away into a front stance preforming a low block, this breaks the grip. At this point you are very close to your attacker and in an awkward position so quickly pull back while delivering a blow to the head. This demonstrates an effective method for breaking a grip. The index finger/thumb gap is the weak link of a wrist grab. Moving violently towards that direction breaks most grips. This also demonstrates the principle of combining opposing forces to yield a greater result. Since my hand was already low when grabbed, not allowing me to chamber for a more powerful low block, just stepping into a front stance might not have enough force behind it to break the grip (I’m fairly strong and heavy so this is actually enough for me to break most grips but that is not the case for smaller practitioners). Combining my moment with my adversary’s movement in the opposite direction creates sufficient force for breaking the grip. This principle is used in other poomse with strikes where you strike your adversary with one hand as you pull them in with the other. The final application I’ll discuss involves an attacker grabbing your left wrist with their right hand pulling you back and away. This is a common technique used by grapplers in an attempt to pull you off balance setting up a throw or takedown. Turn into the pull following your center of balance and fall into a stable front stance from which you can resist you attackers momentum. By shifting and executing a circular hammer fist you can simultaneously break the grip and deliver a blow. At my school we were not taught that having good balance meant being rooted to the ground with a low unshakable center but rather being able to manipulate our balance, throwing it off whack and recovering it at will, almost like juggling it. This application makes use of this understanding. It also demonstrates the idea of moving with your attackers momentum diminishing the effect of his force. Using his energy against him having him pull you from a weaker narrow stance to a stronger more stable stance from which you can resist and counter. I’ve also used this principle against wrestlers who employ a technique where they spin you to the ground. If successful you end up on your back with them on top of you, a very bad position but if you turn with the spin you can adjust you footing and fall into a deep wide front stance, effectively resist their momentum and strike.
I was planning to write more, including how the concentration moves may be used to break body locks, but this getting long.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this.

Thanks- Foot2Face

OP
F

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello again, here are a few more applications for those who are interested. I’ll begin with Tae Geuk Yuk Jang. The segment I will be discussing begins with the first “concentration move” of the poomse. From a neutral stance with feet shoulder with apart, one crosses their arms high in front of their upper chest then very slowly extends the arms away and down. The following segment has you step forward with your right foot into a wide front stance while simultaneously executing an upward knife hand strike with your left hand followed by a rear leg roundhouse kick. Keep in mind that these are separate segments and not necessarily linked but are complimentary. I was taught that the concentration moves were actually strength moves, the slow, deliberate motion indicative of resistance, pushing or pulling against your adversary. They are used to break holds that cannot be countered with a strike. Basically, they combine brute force with proper mechanics. The application I’m going to detail counters a forward choke (hands wrapped around your neck and throat, squeezing) and double collar grab. When being attacked with a forward choke, grab your attackers wrist and/or hands and pull outward/away and down. This technique is often taught with only the outward pull, which can be very effective when done explosively, but if your adversary is strong the break may become more of a struggle. Adding a downward angle to the outward/away pull combines tricep extension with the scapular retraction and shoulder abduction (adding more muscle into the mix) as well as allowing you to put your weight behind the break making for a more powerful counter. This can also be used against a double collar grab, the kind a grappler might used to setup a throw. By pulling the hands away in opposite directions this technique demonstrates a philosophy of not applying force against a grappler, particularly one who throws, in just one direction. Grapplers often use your energy against you, pull them to your right they’ll throw you to your right, push them to your left and they’ll throw you to your left. By pulling in opposite directions you can mitigate this type of counter. The following segment complements this maneuver by having you step offline into a front stance while striking your adversary in the neck/jaw line region, another good area for attacking your adversary’s line of balance, driving them back. You then intercept their backward moving head with a roundhouse kick. This demonstrates the principle of manipulating your adversary’s position with a strike (by attacking their balance or redirecting their momentum) in order to set up a more powerful strike to a more valuable target. Now I know some of you are saying “wait a minute, the neck is an extremely valuable target with a strike having dramatic results.” I agree, but I still prefer the head with the belief that attacking it is the most direct way to render my adversary unconscious, which is my ultimate goal. Never the less, with regards to this application, due to the extreme proximity and angle of attack, you’ll most likely be unable to generate the power needed to make this a devastating neck strike, but you will be in position to make the roundhouse count. This technique also demonstrates the continuance of aggression into your “fighting” skills. In previous examples the techniques were used to create time and space, allowing one to assess the situation and then react with an appropriate response. This application shows an instant and fluid transition from your SD, anti-smothering/anti-grappling techniques into your “fighting” skills. Moving on to Tae Geuk Chil Jang, I’ll discuss a segment were you turn to your left into a tiger stance (a narrow back stance with the heel of your front foot raised off the ground) putting your left fist near your right armpit while coming over with an inward and down palm block which continues in a circular motion returning as a back fist. The first application I’ll describe deals with an attacker who is striking you from a clinch, effectively smothering your but landing blows. You quickly reposition and open up some space by pulling back into a tiger stance. Grab and pin their left arm with your left hand smacking away their right arm with your palm, opening them up for the back fist. The idea of striking your adversary’s arms away in order to open them up (a principle the BBs at my school often referred to as “opening the front door”) is demonstrated many times within the Tae Geuk poomse. When combined with a pin or trap as in this application it can be very effective against aggressive inside strikers. The next application is a takedown, where you pull back into a tiger stance hooking your adversary’s right leg with you left heel pulling their right arm towards your right armpit while pushing them over to your left. The following back fist deflects an attempt to grab you as they fall, a common response by someone who has been swept. This again, demonstrates the principle of combing opposing forces to yield a greater result; where before it was used to break a grip or deliver a more powerful blow, here its used to throw your adversary off balance. The next application of this poomse involves the concentration move and following segment. With your feet together you circle your arms out, down, in then back up bringing your hands to your chest where your wrap your left hand around your right fist slowly moving forward bringing your elbows in and finishing with a slight snap (this kind of looks like a “kung fu Salute”). The following segment has you step forward into a left front stance while simultaneously executing left hand outside block, right hand low block which you immediately reverse, performing a right hand outside block and a left hand low block. This maneuver is great for breaking body locks and holds. It has always been a favorite of mine and has proven to be invaluable in recent years, with the rise in popularity of MMA. The first application work great against an adversary who is holding you with an overhook and underhook. Slide your hand in-between both your chest under your adversary’s overhook, wrap your hand around your other fist placing you knuckles on your adversary’s throat. Bringing your elbows in, push up and out against your adversary’s throat/jaw. If done explosively this can immediately repel your attacker back and away. If your adversary is strong and tries to resist the persistent driving of your knuckles back into their throat will “encourage” them to let go. Now this is important, as soon as you feel their hold break you immediately perform the next segment hitting their overhook away with the outside block while hitting their underhook away with the low block. This helps prevent them from instantly going for another hold, allowing you an opportunity to reposition out. If your adversary is taller than you with longer arms your push may be fully extended without breaking his grip. That’s fine, your push has created enough space where you can slip under the overhook and escape, just remember to use the movement from the following segment. Bringing you outside block up to defend from the overhook becoming a punch on your way out and using the low block to shield you from any knees. The next application employs a break then take down against a Muy Thai style clinch or forward choke. With your adversary’s arms extended, clasped around the back of your head or wrapped around your throat, place your forearm on the outside by their elbows. Creating a ball and socket joint with your hand wrapped around your fist, quickly force your elbows together pulling slightly down. This opens their grip around your head or neck and pulls them forward slightly off balance; at this point you position into front stance placing your left foot just to the outside of your adversary’s right foot. Grabbing their right wrist in your left hand you begin to pull them over your front leg with the outside block while hitting their other arm away with your low block. You continue the take down by switching your arm positions, pulling them down and back over your leg and bringing your other arm up with the outside block deflecting an attempt to grab you as they fall. To be honest I never really got the hang of this takedown, the movement just never “clicked” for me like with the other applications, but that the beauty of the Tae Geuk poomse. There are no useless movements, for any application that doesn’t quite work for you there will be several others that do.

Thanks for reading – Foot2Face

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I came across this thread from another discussion. This topic really interests me.

I like was F2F has put down. I'd like to contribute to the taeguk analyses with some thoughts of my own (and maybe one or two that I've borrowed...I mean researched :) ). Maybe this thread can really grow into an in-depth analyses of the SD applications of the Taeguk poomse.

For my part, I'd like to look at a deeper application of the first move of Taguks Il-Jang, Ee-Jang and Sah-Jang. That would be the low block middle punch combo as a grab release and counter.

Imagine for a moment an attacker does the common "lapel grab". Perhaps as a prelude to a punch to the face. As I understand it, this is a very common attack. Instead of focusing on the downward block portion of the block...I'd like to look at the chamber of the block in this case.

At my school, we train all kicks, punches and blocks to be chambered prior to execution. For the low block the chamber consist of bringing the blocking arm up across the chest with the fist being held at the opposite shoulder or ear. The other arm (the one that will be chambered at the waist when the block is executed) is extended straight downward with the fist blocking the groin area.

So, attack grabs my lapel. He may try to pull me forward to off-balance me as he hits me in the face. As I shift my body to the left I chamber my “block”. The blocking arm comes up underneath my opponent grabbing hand and grabs around his fist. The turn should turn his body making it more difficult for him to strike me with any force (as he now has to punch across his body and I am now taking his balance.

As I step forward to the left into a left walk stance I twist the hand and remove it from my clothing twisting it downward and bending over my opponent. I can then step into the opponent and punch at any number of vital spots on the back, ribs, neck, head, etc.

Hopefully this makes sense. I’ll try to think of more.

I’d love to hear about others.

Peace,
Erik