Crouching Falcon

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we could discuss this technique, its EPAK counterpart Thrusting Wedge.

Front 2 hand high push:

1) Right foot steps to 12 with 2 upward blocks. Left hand counter grabs opponents right hand.

2) Pivot into a square horse stance as you deliver a right vertical elbow strike to opponents chin.

3) Right claw to face.

4) Cover.

Thrusting Wedge:

1. An attacker at 12 o'clock pushes you high with both hands.

2. Step your right foot to 12 o'clock into a right neutral bow as you thrust the outer portion of both of your forearms to create a wedge against your attacker's arms.

3. Pivot into a right forward bow as you have your left hand grab your attacker's right shoulder and push down to cancel out their zones as your right hand executes a frictional pull down your attacker's left arm.

4. Pivot back into a right neutral bow as you execute a right upward elbow to your attacker's chin.

5. Pivot back into a right forward bow as you execute a right outward overhead elbow to your attacker's chest and flow through to a right overhead claw to your attacker's face.

6. Cross out towards 7:30.

Thought we could discuss the differences we may have with Crouching Falcon. I posted Thrusting Wedge as another reference.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to hear how everyone was taught (or performs) the claw.

I was taught that you deliver a palm strike to the nose, while striking the eyes with the fingertips. The fingertips then grab the bottom part of the eyesockets and tear downwards.

Most that I have seen simply scrape downwards across the face with the fingertips.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I was taught that you deliver a palm strike to the nose, while striking the eyes with the fingertips. The fingertips then grab the bottom part of the eyesockets and tear downwards.

Most that I have seen simply scrape downwards across the face with the fingertips.

Yes, I was taught the claw as starting with a palm strike moving in a thrusting and downward direction, followed almost immediately by the finger tears. The eye sockets would be the optimal target for the fingers

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First we should all agree that this technique will not work against the first push --unless the attacker is really drunk, and then you will surely go to jail if you are identified and located.

After the first push, it really does not matter what the second attack is because you will be attacking the attack and the wedge block pretty well handles everything as you deeply penetrate the attacker's centerline.

Personally, I practice with thumb gouges at the end of my wedge blocks, then grab and pull down hard on the shoulder. Oftentimes, if his right leg is forward, I will get an inside leg buckle. Then I do the heel claw. I am really in deeply on this technique.

Jim

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First we should all agree that this technique will not work against the first push --unless the attacker is really drunk, and then you will surely go to jail if you are identified and located.

After the first push, it really does not matter what the second attack is because you will be attacking the attack and the wedge block pretty well handles everything as you deeply penetrate the attacker's centerline.

Personally, I practice with thumb gouges at the end of my wedge blocks, then grab and pull down hard on the shoulder. Oftentimes, if his right leg is forward, I will get an inside leg buckle. Then I do the heel claw. I am really in deeply on this technique.

Jim

I agree. I really see most if not all of the 2 hand push techniques as being more viable against an attempted grab. An exception would be Parting the Reeds where you grab immediately during the wedge block. Typically, when I push someone, my forward movement stops and only my arms follow through.

I like those thumb gouges on the block.

I was also originally taught that, rather than execute a vertical elbow to the chin, you actually make the elbow first, then pull the opponent's mouth into the elbow point as you drop backwards into the horse.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hi Dave,

I perform this pretty much the same as you described. Palm to the nose, following with the raking motion.

Mike

crash2806

White Belt
Reaction score
The majority of the push techniques are really designed to deal with the second push, which inevitibaly comes. Only flashing daggers seems to deal with the first push due to the fact that the first step is back. That being the case, we can always open crouching falcon by stepping back with the left foot and using our opponents forward momentum to help draw him in. Try it out in an action/reaction drill, it seems to work fairly well against the first push provided you recognize it early enough.

Latest Discussions