My TSA approved improvised weapon choice.......

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most would, yes. You're required to use a rigid case, so it could likely be used as a blunt force weapon. The ones I travel with most often are a small case that fits my G19 with ammo and extra mags. The holsters go in my regular baggage. Or the one dubbed "the assassin kit" by one of our kids.
View attachment 28862 View attachment 28863 View attachment 28864
This one holds my Glock 41 with the extended barrel, the light/laser, the custom holster that fits that combo, two extra magazines, the mag pouch, a couple boxes of ammo, the suppressor, and a copy of my ATF permit. It's the size of a thick briefcase, so it's a bit unwieldy for an improvised weapon, but not useless. It certainly has the mass for it, though.

No, I point out where you're wrong.

So you want to limit the discussion to 100+ year old guns. Wake up. It's not 1922 anymore. It's 2022. Technology and engineering have improved. And the out-of-date 1911 designs have been updated. Both weight and capacity arguments are moot, thanks to the ready availability of double stack and polymer 1911 handguns. Not to mention extended magazines. It's not the least bit difficult to find 15 round magazines that will fit a vintage WWII 1911 just fine.

Sure, it's an important test. But it is not, despite what you wrote, the test. It is merely one of several.

I do, constantly. I highly recommend it.

OK, fine. But that isn't what you wrote. If that is what you meant, then that is what you should have written.

Well, no, it was 4-6lbs because it was mass produced for distribution to huge numbers of people with minimal training.

So you were the best loser. Congratulations.

Reliability is no more an issue than weight or capacity.

Sure, the 1911 was originally designed for FMJ rounds. But, as I said before, this is not 1922. It is 2022. And these issues have all been resolved. You should modernize.

Are you with the Department of Redundancy Department?

And all "stuffs [sic]" that have been addressed.

Very true, especially for striker fired handguns. Personally, the 1911 is the only handgun with a thumb safety that I will carry.

No it doesn't. It is perfectly safe to carry a 1911 with the hammer down. With or without a round in the chamber. Doing so, of course, requires you to either hand cock it or rack the slide, and those certainly take time. Cocked and locked is the best choice if you're carrying for personal defense.

Some people find that the hammer being cocked digs into their love handles (ditto the beaver tail). The easy solution to that is a spring change. The gun is loaded as usual, the thumb safety is engaged, and the hammer is pushed down with your thumb. The gun remains cocked and locked, and disengaging the thumb safety will cause the hammer to pop back into the normal cocked position. A little file work to shorten the beaver tail, and the 1911 is much more comfortable to carry. I've done this with my SigSauer 1911 Target and am considering doing it to others.

No, it's not. When I grasp a 1911 in the holster, my thumb is naturally resting on the safety. When I squeeze, that will disengage the safety. That happens during the draw, as soon as the gun clears the holster. The gun is ready to fire well before it is on target. If that is not true for you, then I suggest that the problem is you, not the gun.

Yes, because most of the world understands that it is now 2022.

I know what a decocker is and how it works. I suspect most of the people reading this do.

Except for those rare but unfortunate times that holstering the gun reactivated the safety/decocker, and it won't fire.
There may well be exceptions, but every decocker I have ever seen is pushed down to decock and lock the weapon. The opposite of the 1911 thumb safety. This is what makes it possible for holstering the gun to inadvertently engage the safety. This also means you cannot as easily disengage the safety during the draw. This is why the 1911 is the sole exception to my personal "no thumb safeties" rule.

No it's not. It IS the first shot in double action. Only double action firearms have decockers. The only striker fired pistol I can think of is the old Taurus 24/7 OSS. And it was junk. The H&K P7 had the striker disengaged (effectively the same as decocked) but had a weird squeeze safety on the front of the grip that cocked the striker when you drew. Just like gripping the 1911 disengages the thumb safety. Also gone now. One of the reasons striker fired handguns have grown in popularity so quickly is that it eliminates that DA first round. Because DA sucks.
I’m curious, what else goes in the assassin kit?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
[Insults deleted]

Seems like this is particularly impractical as an improvised weapon compared to just about everything else that was already mentioned.
I agree, especially the larger one. I even said that quite clearly, so it's nice that you and I can agree on something.
Why do you think this is better than a pen or a cane?
I'm sorry, but I do not recall saying that. Or even implying it. Not even a hint. The question asked was if firearm travel cases could be used as improvised weapons. The answer is: yes. I did say the smaller, lighter case would probably be better than the larger, heavier case in most circumstances, but at no time did I make any effort to rank every potential improvised weapon.
Heck, how would this be a better improvised weapon to get through TSA than, say, an actual brief case?
Maybe if you responded to what I actually wrote, instead of inventing things, this conversation would make more sense.

Actual briefcases are flimsy things, intended to be light weight and look spiffy. But they could certainly be useful as improvised weapons.

Before you reply, though, let me explicitly point out that I am not ranking any of the aforementioned improvised weapons, in this or any other post, by me or any other poster, in this or any other thread.
That what I was talking about those with decocker that the first shot is double action.
You said it was "like" the first shot of a DA firearm. Being "like" something does not mean being that something.
You are not very good in reading. You have problem understand English?
One of us seems to. Judging strictly by your writing, I wonder why you would think it was me?
that's what I was talking!!
Ummm, yes. A fine example of English.
Looks like a pelican case to me. Those things are good for more than holding guns.
It is. And they certainly are. A pelican case, a chunk of foam, and a cutter can make a world-class case for pretty much anything you can carry.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You said it was "like" the first shot of a DA firearm. Being "like" something does not mean being that something.
Stop nitpicking words just to argue, you know what I mean. It's double action the first shot and becomes single action. It's not a true double action like revolvers.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
insults? You mean where I pointed out your post was pretty cuckoo? It was. You're talking about an assassin's kit. I would bet that most reasonable people who read your post, where you share pictures and a detailed description of your handgun with a suppressor and all that other stuff would agree with me that it's pretty far out there. I attacked the post, not the poster. And that post was pretty darn cuckoo.

But I also complimented you for posting on topic, at least some of it. You didn't do as well with this one, though.

I agree, especially the larger one. I even said that quite clearly, so it's nice that you and I can agree on something.
It happens from time to time. If you weren't so aggressively unfriendly, I bet we would agree on a lot of things.

I'm sorry, but I do not recall saying that. Or even implying it. Not even a hint. The question asked was if firearm travel cases could be used as improvised weapons. The answer is: yes. I did say the smaller, lighter case would probably be better than the larger, heavier case in most circumstances, but at no time did I make any effort to rank every potential improvised weapon.

It's the topic of the thread. You were way off topic. I mean, on another continent. I thought I'd see if I could bring you back by asking you questions related to the thread. I wasn't trying to trick you or anything. I was asking a question to see what you think about that question.

Don't get me wrong, I know you are trying to be sarcastic and snarky, but that's on you, not me.

Also, Pelican cases are awesome. I use them for A/V equipment, and they're fantastic. They're also pretty heavy, even empty. So for use as an improvised weapon, I think they'd be pretty clumsy... like swinging a large rock around (albeit one with a sturdy handle). On a plane, I'm not sure they'd be of much use.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
insults? You mean where I pointed out your post was pretty cuckoo? It was. You're talking about an assassin's kit. I would bet that most reasonable people who read your post, where you share pictures and a detailed description of your handgun with a suppressor and all that other stuff would agree with me that it's pretty far out there. I attacked the post, not the poster. And that post was pretty darn cuckoo.

But I also complimented you for posting on topic, at least some of it. You didn't do as well with this one, though.

It happens from time to time. If you weren't so aggressively unfriendly, I bet we would agree on a lot of things.

It's the topic of the thread. You were way off topic. I mean, on another continent. I thought I'd see if I could bring you back by asking you questions related to the thread. I wasn't trying to trick you or anything. I was asking a question to see what you think about that question.

Don't get me wrong, I know you are trying to be sarcastic and snarky, but that's on you, not me.

Also, Pelican cases are awesome. I use them for A/V equipment, and they're fantastic. They're also pretty heavy, even empty. So for use as an improvised weapon, I think they'd be pretty clumsy... like swinging a large rock around (albeit one with a sturdy handle). On a plane, I'm not sure they'd be of much use.
A good sturdy belt with a steel buckle would be my first bet on a plane. Or boiling water/tea/coffee from the flight attendant if I have time to plan my attack on the terrorist.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A good sturdy belt with a steel buckle would be my first bet on a plane. Or boiling water/tea/coffee from the flight attendant if I have time to plan my attack on the terrorist.
As someone who usually just drinks hot water on a plane, it's not that hot... might work if your attacker has VERY sensitive skin. You'd probably be better off trying to squeeze the lemon in their eye. (disclaimer: that is not a serious suggestion)

As for the belt, did you see @Kung Fu Wang 's belt? 👀👀

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Lots of people have similar firearms and accessories, he did say that the kids labeled it the assassins kit. I guess it’s perspective, I can’t have suppressors in California, but I certainly would if I could. It’s the kinder, gentler way to shoot. It is not silent, it is quieter. It is worth noting that almost always a suppressor reduces the ballistic efficiency of a firearm significantly due to the difference in pressure needed to cycle reliably. Suppressor isn’t evil, and doesn’t mean anything except protecting hearing and equally importantly, reducing muzzle flash and resultant blinding effects from discharge in a dark room. That’s why he has it on his nightstand pistol.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
As someone who usually just drinks hot water on a plane, it's not that hot... might work if your attacker has VERY sensitive skin. You'd probably be better off trying to squeeze the lemon in their eye. (disclaimer: that is not a serious suggestion)

As for the belt, did you see @Kung Fu Wang 's belt? 👀👀
That belt is not my style, my punk rock days are over. The hot water idea is just an idea for opening distraction.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lots of people have similar firearms and accessories, he did say that the kids labeled it the assassins kit. I guess it’s perspective, I can’t have suppressors in California, but I certainly would if I could. It’s the kinder, gentler way to shoot. It is not silent, it is quieter. It is worth noting that almost always a suppressor reduces the ballistic efficiency of a firearm significantly due to the difference in pressure needed to cycle reliably. Suppressor isn’t evil, and doesn’t mean anything except protecting hearing and equally importantly, reducing muzzle flash and resultant blinding effects from discharge in a dark room. That’s why he has it on his nightstand pistol.

Sure. Not trying to take the thread further off topic by dwelling on the post. Suffice to say it's the incongruence of talking about all of that in the context of a thread that's not about guns at all. Experiences vary, but speaking for myself, when I ask whether a container would work well as an improvised weapon, and in response, the other person describes their "assassin's kit" (his words, not mine) to me in great detail, with multiple pictures of his weapon... that's not something I'm doing... that's something THEY'RE doing. Cuckoo is a very mild way to describe language and posting behavior that is, frankly, pretty alarming. That wasn't a post intended to inform and discuss, it was to intimidate.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. Not trying to take the thread further off topic by dwelling on the post. Suffice to say it's the incongruence of talking about all of that in the context of a thread that's not about guns at all. Experiences vary, but speaking for myself, when I ask whether a container would work well as an improvised weapon, and in response, the other person describes their "assassin's kit" (his words, not mine) to me in great detail, with multiple pictures of his weapon... that's not something I'm doing... that's something THEY'RE doing. Cuckoo is a very mild way to describe language and posting behavior that is, frankly, pretty alarming. That wasn't a post intended to inform and discuss, it was to intimidate.
Threads often get pretty far off the original topic. You and I have certainly dragged a few off at an angle.

As for the “assassin’s kit”, wasn’t that what his kids called it?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Threads often get pretty far off the original topic. You and I have certainly dragged a few off at an angle.

You are the staff and moderator, maybe you should put in words to create a gun sub forum here. The thread is DEAD already until I mentioned "gun"!!!! Look at how many pages of business since!!! All I did is using the 1911 as an example of so many people still hang onto this old stuff when there are so many new one on the market already. Did I get the biggest debate!!!!

Never realize so many people are into guns here.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Dude. I asked whether the case was an effective improvised weapon. He posted a detailed description of the contents of his “assigns kit” and half dozen pictures. Doesn’t matter who called it that first. He called it that in this thread.

I wasn’t making a big deal out of this, but your guy is out of line. Completely.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude. I asked whether the case was an effective improvised weapon. He posted a detailed description of the contents of his “assigns kit” and half dozen pictures. Doesn’t matter who called it that first. He called it that in this thread.

I wasn’t making a big deal out of this, but your guy is out of line. Completely.
He specifically mentioned his kids call it that. I'd guess they think it's funny. And his reference to them calling it such came before you asked if it was an effective improvised weapon. The two thoughts aren't really linked.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
He specifically mentioned his kids call it that. I'd guess they think it's funny. And his reference to them calling it such came before you asked if it was an effective improvised weapon. The two thoughts aren't really linked.
Dude. He said it. Do his kids have an account here? No? It was him then. Not his kids.

We can take this offline. But dude. He posted pictures of his gun with his suppressor in response to me asking him about the case being an effective improvised weapon. In a thread about TSA and airports. Seriously. Give me a break. What the hell are you doing?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree completely. I don’t think it was intimidating in any way. I dont see the intent there either.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Kinda making a big deal…

Latest Discussions