My TSA approved improvised weapon choice.......

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my colt gold cup trophy! Bill Wilson from Wilson combat tricked mine out. It’s more accurate than my Glock but very heavy and only 8 rounds. My FNH 5.7 is light and very accurate but still full size.
My choice 99% of the time is a Glock 19. It's light, easily concealed, plenty of capacity, rock solid reliable, and more accurate than I am.
Gold Cup and 1911 are good for target shooting and competitions where the trigger is the most important. But a lot of people still use it for self defense, CCW. Those are times good trigger action, accuracy is of secondary. Reliability, safety and weight and how many rounds it can hold is the utmost important.
I've never had a reliability problem with any of my 1911's. The 1911 is no less safe than any other handgun. Weight can certainly be an issue, but that is an entirely subjective, not objective, judgement. And ignores the ready availability of polymer 1911 handguns. Capacity is a purchasing decision.
I already pointed out a few points in the last post why 1911 is less reliable by design(or the lack of). It is so heavy for carry
Not for everyone.
and only 8 rounds.
My Para P14-45 holds 14+1. My Glock 41 (.45ACP, though not a 1911 design) holds 13+1. If capacity is a concern, carry more magazines. Try again.
It must be about 40oz vs Glock and S&W MP etal that are in 25oz give and take. All carry 15 to 17 rounds of 9mm.
15rnds of 9mm vs 15 rounds of .45ACP. Doesn't seem to support your argument.
They do NOT have a hair trigger even with a round in the chamber
Let me guess, you don't know how to modify guns? Glocks come with a factory pull of 6-8lbs. I think that's too much. My carry guns are all modified to have 4lb pulls. My bedside gun - a laser sighted, suppressed Glock 41 - has a 2lb pull.
You can have whatever trigger pull you like, with pretty much any gun.
, not like 1911 either don't load the chamber(slow)
I don't recall a single failure to chamber with any of my 1911's. Maybe the problem isn't the design?
or cocked and locked( still extra step to push the safety down before pulling the trigger).
Not really. When you draw, your thumb falls naturally on the safety. When your grip tightens, the safety disengages.
It is so much inferior for CCW and self defense.
It's really not.

As I have said more than once, the 1911 isn't generally my personal choice for EDC, primarily because of their weight. And that might well change if I were to buy a polymer 1911. But that's a far cry from saying that it's a bad choice. The 1911 is a great choice.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My choice 99% of the time is a Glock 19. It's light, easily concealed, plenty of capacity, rock solid reliable, and more accurate than I am.

I've never had a reliability problem with any of my 1911's. The 1911 is no less safe than any other handgun. Weight can certainly be an issue, but that is an entirely subjective, not objective, judgement. And ignores the ready availability of polymer 1911 handguns. Capacity is a purchasing decision.

Not for everyone.

My Para P14-45 holds 14+1. My Glock 41 (.45ACP, though not a 1911 design) holds 13+1. If capacity is a concern, carry more magazines. Try again.

Let me guess, you don't know how to modify guns? Glocks come with a factory pull of 6-8lbs. I think that's too much. My carry guns are all modified to have 4lb pulls. My bedside gun - a laser sighted, suppressed Glock 41 - has a 2lb pull.

I don't recall a single failure to chamber with any of my 1911's. Maybe the problem isn't the design?

Not really. When you draw, your thumb falls naturally on the safety. When your grip tightens, the safety disengages.

It's really not.

As I have said more than once, the 1911 isn't generally my personal choice for EDC, primarily because of their weight. And that might well change if I were to buy a polymer 1911. But that's a far cry from saying that it's a bad choice. The 1911 is a great choice.
The man knows his guns!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Not for everyone.

It's really not.

Do you use apex triggers in your Glock? My only Glock is a gen3 Glock 20 in 10mm. My fishing gun. I put a lone Wolf barrel and flat face apex trigger at 3.5 lbs. I also had the sled refinished and melted for my holosun 507c with primary arms chevron circle reticle,which I am in love with.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I do gun smithing, I cannot make is reliable with CCI Blazer JHP. For FMJ, sure it's easy, but JHP with wide mouth, good luck. It's because the feed ramp is separated in two section that has a break in between. You have to do cocked and locked to make 1911 safe.
Not for everyone.

I can carry more mags for Glock also. I am talking about 1911, not your Glock 41. Of cause, it's a Glock!!!

I do gun smithing, I accurized my Gold Cup to go competition. Which included squeezing the slide to get tight fit to the frame, change the link to get rid of play of the barrel when locked. Reshape the extractor so the empty shells flies like 5 or 6ft away without popping up or drop on the head(empty shell hitting the ejector port and bounce up). I polished feedramp and chamber to improve feeding. I know 1911. That stupid thing jammed on me in the middle of the competition. It's FTF.

Still it's an extra step, not like Glock that you just pull the trigger.
It's really not.

Do you do gun smithing? I do. Not just 1911, I smoothed out the double action of quite a few S&W revolvers doing all the internal polishing. I worked on my S&W 659 and Walther PPKS to make them very reliable, not like the Gold Cup. The difference is they all have one piece feedramp.

Glock has a long trigger travel, not crisp like 1911. Unless you said you can make it crisp like 1911!!! I made my Gold Cup a crisp around 3lbs. I don't want to go down to 2lbs, that's dangerous. I can press on the hammer hard when cocked and the hammer won't fall without pulling the trigger. That shows a good trigger job.

For carrying, weight is everything. NOW remember I am comparing polymer to 1911, don't mix in you Glock 41 to talk. 15 to 17 roundsof 9mm beats 8 rounds of 45 of 1911 any time of the day. Remember not a Glock 41.

i bought the gen 5 ejector and forged extractor for my Glock 26, I have not fit it in yet. I have not shot the gun because for the longest time, bullets are hard to find. I have no interest in changing the trigger action of my Glock, it's for self defense, not for target shooting. I want it heavy like the stock Glock. I am going to do some shooting before I decide anything I need to do on the Glock. It has strong reputation of not failing, if not failing, there's no reason to do anything. I inspect the internal of Glock, it's very well finished. Feedramp and chamber are smooth, not like those old guns that were rough inside. You should see how bad the inside of the Gold Cup looked before I worked on it. Glock is very different.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So why do you discount most of his techniques? I did not know that was your guy, when I found the video that I did. However, you already deemed most of what he does as useless. You found one technique he does, that you like.... but you discount his one handed strikes, his hanbo style strikes, his cane style strikes.... everything he does, with the exception of the one you like. Since you already mastered that.... you would have no reason to train there... Especially when they worked on the one handed stuff or the hanbo style stuff or.... Don't tell me you would go train with him, while at the same time telling me how useless you deem most of his techniques.

A cane could be plenty useful in a plane... if you learn to use it as something other than a katana. But, you would have to learn the one hand stuff and the two thumbs in stuff.

Understand... some of the folks trying to give you advice, have more decades worth of actual training with these weapons than you have years in self training with your cane. Heck some have double or triple the decades of training to your year and a half. The videos you show of your mastery of the cane... is clear evidence that you do not understand. You have shown the video of the guy you are copying... but that only shows how much you don't understand. The advice given here has been in an effort to help you become more effective.... and it has come from people with multiple decades of training and teaching....

But hey, you found your technique, and you are happy with it. I hope it works for you, I hope your attacker announces his intentions in advance so you have time to assume your posture... I hope he stays 6 feet away from you, so that you can employ your technique... I hope he does not take advantage of the openings you have when you do your version of the technique... I hope you never have to use your technique to find out how effective it really is...
Did you see my reply in post #118 that I uploaded an old video that I actually use the strikes in the hanbo with thumbs facing in and hit with both ends for close distance, and also use poking? That's the part I found useful before even watching the hanbo video.

As for your post of 3 more hanbo video in post #138, Don't you see how wide the guy swing with one hand in the first video? I tried long time ago with the back hand swing like the second video. Do you know they had a Japanese movie series in the early 60s about a blind samurai holding the sword like that to fight. It was very famous and everyone try to copy that. I did try swinging like that, it is NOT powerful. You ever try doing that and hit with a blunt instrument, you do NOT get power. Only the third video I watch that can be useful.

I don't know why you keep thinking that I only hit with both hand like the chopping motion of katana, That's only for long distance. I practice a lot on holding the cane with thumb facing in like in the video for close distance. AND from that experience, I can tell you it doesn't hit that hard BECAUSE I do a lot of hitting on the heavy bag. The only one that can hit hard is using the handle of the crook end and PUNCH out like punching with a fist in the video. Here is the video again if you miss that, you can see I hit with thumbs facing in for short distance:

I am not saying I am an expert, BUT I WATCH AND THINK. I came up with the move of holding the cane with thumbs facing in and hit 9 months before watching your video. The recording was old, I don't have any recent ones. You don't just blind follow, you think. You really think I did not try single handed swing? This is a video I recorded, put on youtube and I deleted from youtube long time ago. I put it back in today to show I did spend a few months on single hand and I quit.

As I repeat, I am not that good, BUT I do put in a lot of effort in researching. I refuse to blind follow. Also more importantly, I don't have school in stick fight in my area. You think I never look for it? I even asked Blindside(Lamont Glass) whether he know any school in my area. None. My option is very limited, not like MA where there is a UFC and Gracie BJJ close by.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you do gun smithing? I do. Not just 1911, I smoothed out the double action of quite a few S&W revolvers doing all the internal polishing. I worked on my S&W 659 and Walther PPKS to make them very reliable, not like the Gold Cup. The difference is they all have one piece feedramp.

Glock has a long trigger travel, not crisp like 1911. Unless you said you can make it crisp like 1911!!! I made my Gold Cup a crisp around 3lbs. I don't want to go down to 2lbs, that's dangerous. I can press on the hammer hard when cocked and the hammer won't fall without pulling the trigger. That shows a good trigger job.

For carrying, weight is everything. NOW remember I am comparing polymer to 1911, don't mix in you Glock 41 to talk. 15 to 17 roundsof 9mm beats 8 rounds of 45 of 1911 any time of the day. Remember not a Glock 41.

i bought the gen 5 ejector and forged extractor for my Glock 26, I have not fit it in yet. I have not shot the gun because for the longest time, bullets are hard to find. I have no interest in changing the trigger action of my Glock, it's for self defense, not for target shooting. I want it heavy like the stock Glock. I am going to do some shooting before I decide anything I need to do on the Glock. It has strong reputation of not failing, if not failing, there's no reason to do anything. I inspect the internal of Glock, it's very well finished. Feedramp and chamber are smooth, not like those old guns that were rough inside. You should see how bad the inside of the Gold Cup looked before I worked on it. Glock is very different.
Firstly, the weight of a 1911 isn't really bad. I'm a Glock guy, and used to carry a 1911. I liked it quite a lot - the weight wasn't a factor for me.

You also seem to be conflating variables. You talk about limitations of the 1911 capacity, then compare it in .45 ACP to 9mm guns. Are you talking about the limitation of the gun or the round?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Firstly, the weight of a 1911 isn't really bad. I'm a Glock guy, and used to carry a 1911. I liked it quite a lot - the weight wasn't a factor for me.

You also seem to be conflating variables. You talk about limitations of the 1911 capacity, then compare it in .45 ACP to 9mm guns. Are you talking about the limitation of the gun or the round?
1911 comes with 9mm also, still single roll. Capacity of mag is still lower compare to Glock that can go up to 17. Even the Glock 41 45ACP standard mag is 13 rounds and at 27oz compare to 1911 8 rounds and something like 40oz.
GLOCK 41 Gen4

I know, 1911 has a very good feel, even with cocked and locked, still it's easy. But you have to look at other factors. For target and competition, definitely 1911. I cannot imagine Glock can do that good in target shooting where accuracy is of high importance.

Glock and 1911 are two completely different animals. target and competition, 1911 hands down. CCW, definitely Glock. I personally have a Gold Cup I made it very accurate, so I have one already. Would never use it for self defense. Even my S&W 659 and the Walther PPKS are a whole lot more reliable than the Gold Cup. I just cannot make it reliable for CCI Blazer JHP. For FMJ, sure it's reliable, be careful with JHP. I made my Walther PPKS reliable with Winchester Silver Tip that has a wide mouth JHP.

Until I test out my Glock 26, the S&W 659 is loaded under my bed. One thing good about the 659 and the PPKS, I can load the chamber and decock them by flipping the safety switch on, then switch to "off". Now the gun can be fired by just squeeze the trigger. No more unlock the safety before pulling the trigger like the 1911.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sight alignment and trigger press. All modern handguns are fantastic weapons, but all are underpowered. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.... Close range precision marksmanship. The make and model matters not.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sight alignment and trigger press. All modern handguns are fantastic weapons, but all are underpowered. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.... Close range precision marksmanship. The make and model matters not.
What is trigger press? Those for clamping handguns to test?

Why are modern handguns under power? It's all depends on the rounds. You have 10mm and 45 in modern ones. 9mm is very standard.

My experience is model matters a lot unless you put effort in accurizing it. Like my S&W 659 and Walther don't worth Chip (C=S) when comes to 25yds target shooting. I did not even try to do any accurization on those. The Gold Cup, Ruger Mark II bull barrel, S&W M19 and Colt Trooper 8" were accurate out of the box, Gold Cup just got better after I accurizing it.

Also, accurate is very relative. From my experience, most people don't shoot that well, all over the target at 25 years. for them, most gun are the same. I have a friend that can shoot groups of 5 INSIDE the black at 25yds free standing. You better believe gun is EVERYTHING to him for accuracy. The better you are, the more you see the difference between guns. Even the bullets used make a difference. That's why people test and choose specific brand and model of bullets to get the best accuracy. You need a good shooter to see the difference between guns.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why are modern handguns under power? It's all depends on the rounds. You have 10mm and 45 in modern ones. 9mm is very standard.
I have stood over or stood next to hundreds of people shot(many dead, many still very much alive) with a wide variety of rounds and weapons. Handguns are amazing tools, but the round has to hit the right spot to reliably do the trick. Doing that consistently in a fight has little to do with accessories and modifications to weapons. You can't Amazon your way to combat effectiveness. It is about fundamentals, a calm mind, priorities, and intentionality.

I'm not saying what you are articulating isn't important. I'm just sharing what my training and experience has taught me regarding what is important to winning fights when handguns are used.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have stood over or stood next to hundreds of people shot(many dead, many still very much alive) with a wide variety of rounds and weapons. Handguns are amazing tools, but the round has to hit the right spot to reliably do the trick. Doing that consistently in a fight has little to do with accessories and modifications to weapons. You can't Amazon your way to combat effectiveness. It is about fundamentals, a calm mind, priorities, and intentionality.

I'm not saying what you are articulating isn't important. I'm just sharing what my training and experience has taught me regarding what is important to winning fights when handguns are used.
You are talking apple and orange. Accuracy is being able to shoot consistently at ONE spot when the gun is held down securely. You are talking about ease of hitting a target at close distance. They have NOTHING to do with each other. For my type of accuracy, one has to have very steady hands and good in pulling the trigger AND last but very important, very good eyes.

In your situation, shooter is much more important than the gun. Might be some truth some guns fit some people better and more natural. But it depends mostly on the shooter. You are talking about situation of shooting distance of 5 yds or less, you don't need to hit dead center, you have a bigger area to shoot at, the inherent accuracy of the gun is NOT relevant at all, more how the gun fit into your natural aiming under stress and no time to really aim, so it's more important how good the gun can follow your hand rather how accurate the gun really is.

I mostly shooting for accuracy, not close distance bang bang bang. I always though if you just take 1/2 sec to aim, you might be much much better off than just bang bang bang. That 1/2 sec takes for aiming makes a day and night difference in accuracy.

I practiced holding the gun and pointed down and look away. Then turn look at the target and aim and shoot at 25yds. Allow 1/2sec or less from raise the gun to shoot. I still manage to get every single round on the paper at 25yds. Yes, it's all over the target, but all INSIDE the target. I would imagine if the target is 5 yds away, it would be very dead center. Seems like people changed to bang bang bang in the last 30 years after the higher capacity guns came onto the market. I guess I still belong to the 80s where people still using revolvers with 6 rounds and slow to reload even with speed loader. We trained to aim before shooting as we know we only have 6 rounds.

With a little aim before shooting, the different guns with different grips and different feel mostly becomes irrelevant if you actually aim instead of bang bang bang. Because you are actually aiming through the sight and not depending on the natural grip of the gun.

We are talking apple and orange.

At least in my days, there were no range that allow bang bang bang. They kick you out!!! Maybe time changed. We had to go to indoor range to shoot shorter distance. 25yds was all we had in the range within 1/2hr driving.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are talking apple and orange. Accuracy is being able to shoot consistently at ONE spot when the gun is held down securely. You are talking about ease of hitting a target at close distance. They have NOTHING to do with each other.

But it depends mostly on the shooter. You are talking about situation of shooting distance of 5 yds or less, you don't need to hit dead center, you have a bigger area to shoot at, the inherent accuracy of the gun is NOT relevant at all,
What I'm speaking of isn't as far apart as you might imagine. I believe it's important to attempt to hit dead center even at close range. As I said, close range precision accuracy. I don't believe in just trying to hit the target, even at close range. But my opinion isn't standard thinking, so I can understand why you would imagine hitting the target is my goal at close range. But it isn't, I want to attempt to drop rounds in the same hole even at 5 feet.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I'm speaking of isn't as far apart as you might imagine. I believe it's important to attempt to hit dead center even at close range. As I said, close range precision accuracy. I don't believe in just trying to hit the target, even at close range. But my opinion isn't standard thinking, so I can understand why you would imagine hitting the target is my goal at close range. But it isn't, I want to attempt to drop rounds in the same hole even at 5 feet.
I am just being analytic. At even 10ft, all guns should be able to hit a very tight group if the shooter is good.

For example, if the gun can shoot in a 12" circle(6"radius) at 25yds(75ft) which is a pretty BAD gun. At distance of 7.5ft, that gun can shoot inside a 1.2" circle which is a very tight spot. This means accuracy at say 10ft distance is all depends on the shooter, not the gun. That's why I said it's apple and orange. That's when the feel of the gun and natural aiming of the gun is more important in the situation you described rather than how accurate the gun really is.

I know, some guns just fit and more natural in my hands than others. I guess for close distance and under stressful situation, that becomes an important factor, not the real accuracy of the gun.

Of cause, I am not in career of a police that encounter those kind of situation. I don't want to say it's better or worst. More a question whether it would be beneficial to take a split second to aim before shooting. That will take the "feel" of the gun out of the equation because you actually use the sight, not rely on the natural feel to point the gun. just a question.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you use apex triggers in your Glock? My only Glock is a gen3 Glock 20 in 10mm. My fishing gun. I put a lone Wolf barrel and flat face apex trigger at 3.5 lbs. I also had the sled refinished and melted for my holosun 507c with primary arms chevron circle reticle,which I am in love with.
Were any of yours involved in the recall?
I actually like the Glock trigger, other than being too stiff and a bit mushy when it breaks. I twiddle the innards but keep the actual trigger.
I like Lone Wolf. I've got one of their extended, threaded barrels on my G41 to support the suppressor. I've never been a fan of those optics. I think it might be connected to my being a cyclops, but they just never did much for me. I do like a laser, but obviously I don't train with that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you do gun smithing?
What part of "I" in my description of mods was unclear?
Glock has a long trigger travel, not crisp like 1911. Unless you said you can make it crisp like 1911!!!
It's mechanically impossible for a Glock trigger to feel like a single action trigger. But with a little tweaking, they are certainly more than adequate.
I don't want to go down to 2lbs, that's dangerous.
No, it's not.
I can press on the hammer hard when cocked and the hammer won't fall without pulling the trigger. That shows a good trigger job.
So your definition of "good" means "I didn't break it"?
For carrying, weight is everything.
No, it's not. It's ONE factor out of many that should be considered.
NOW remember I am comparing polymer to 1911, don't mix in you Glock 41 to talk.
Why not? There are plenty of polymer 1911 handguns available.
15 to 17 roundsof 9mm beats 8 rounds of 45 of 1911 any time of the day.
Except that your 8 round limit is a false limit. It doesn't exist.

Your argument revolves around two key points. Weight and magazine capacity. Both of which are false dichotomies. You shoot yourself in the foot by pretending polymer 1911 designs are not an option. And then you shoot more than 8 holes in your capacity argument by ignoring the availability of double stack 1911 designs.

That is nothing new. With modern defensive ammo, the single most important factor in shot effectiveness is placement. Where handgun rounds are concerned, cavitation is a myth. This was an even bigger issue in the past.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you guys get these guns through security in the airport? 😳
I travel domestically with a gun on a regular basis. The TSA has rules about traveling with a gun.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Were any of yours involved in the recall?
I actually like the Glock trigger, other than being too stiff and a bit mushy when it breaks. I twiddle the innards but keep the actual trigger.
I like Lone Wolf. I've got one of their extended, threaded barrels on my G41 to support the suppressor. I've never been a fan of those optics. I think it might be connected to my being a cyclops, but they just never did much for me. I do like a laser, but obviously I don't train with that.
No recall on mine. I’m in calif. so no threaded barrels or cans allowed. Restricted to 10 round mags. Handgun safety roster gets shorter every year. Cannot purchase ammo online. Background check on each ammo purchase. Two box limits on most calibers. Very restrictive as you can see. I understand your view on optics(see what I did there). I have a scar on my right cornea that makes most illuminated optics look like a flare. The one i mentioned above is unique. Take a look at a YouTube review on it. I hated that Glock trigger. I Shot it once and then gutted it.

Latest Discussions