My TSA approved improvised weapon choice.......

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did see in video they have moves like chopping. I don't use any other moves from katana, just the chopping move. I practice the chop and pull back like reversing the chopping motion. That is definitely the move of katana I watched, not a baseball bet swing.
There are two possibilities... 1. The person you watched does not know how to use a katana... or 2. You do not understand what you saw. If you chop with a katana, like chopping a tree, you will break the katana.

OP doesn't like cane, option is very limited getting on the plane. It's not as if you have better option to choose from.
Getting a pen on a plane is easy. It does not have to be shoved into a sock to use. It can be used in very close quarters (such as on a plane)... it might actually be easier to use on a plane than a cane.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are two possibilities... 1. The person you watched does not know how to use a katana... or 2. You do not understand what you saw. If you chop with a katana, like chopping a tree, you will break the katana.

Getting a pen on a plane is easy. It does not have to be shoved into a sock to use. It can be used in very close quarters (such as on a plane)... it might actually be easier to use on a plane than a cane.
I don't know where you learn, this video started with chopping:

More chopping in demo:

Even have qualifications:

NOBODY said katana is about chopping, BUT it has chopping moves. Just take the moves that fit for blunt instrument like a cane. They have a lot of moves that is not fit for cane, but the chopping part does. I can't find the particular video that the person pull back and chop down the same way the first time, but I find it useful for more confined space so one doesn't swing wild.

One has to THINK and pick out moves that work and ignore those that doesn't. It's is NOT BLINDLY either katana and use ALL the moves or not using Katana. Just like I learn some combination from escrima even though they swing with one hand. YOU take the best part from each style to mix into practice, not blindly just choose one all the way. This is NOT the older days that you either follow completely one style or nothing.

Honestly, I have NOT find any one way to represent cane fight, even baseball bet swinging is NOT exactly useful. It's just the idea of swinging that is useful. One need to ADAPT, pick what is useful and ignore those that doesn't. Just like MMA, they pick out ONLY the part that is effective and useful from different styles, then integrate into their own.

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
NOBODY said katana is about chopping, BUT it has chopping moves
You are not understanding what you are watching. Those are not chopping moves, they are cuts. There are some very important differences. If you use your cane the same way, you would not be doing the amount of damage your cane should be doing, because you would be cutting with it.

What little I know about katana (and I stress, what little I know) I learned from this guy: (if you know where to look, I am in one of the pictures with him) He helped my set up my DZR school, and the last years of his life, we taught at the same dojo...

If you want to learn how to use a cane... learn to use a hanbo. It will teach you a lot of different ways to use a short stick or cane.... both to strike and to grapple.... both at distance and up close.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are not understanding what you are watching. Those are not chopping moves, they are cuts. There are some very important differences. If you use your cane the same way, you would not be doing the amount of damage your cane should be doing, because you would be cutting with it.

What little I know about katana (and I stress, what little I know) I learned from this guy: (if you know where to look, I am in one of the pictures with him) He helped my set up my DZR school, and the last years of his life, we taught at the same dojo...

If you want to learn how to use a cane... learn to use a hanbo. It will teach you a lot of different ways to use a short stick or cane.... both to strike and to grapple.... both at distance and up close.
Looks chopping to me, they chop those stuff. Maybe you have a special name for those. It's chopping to me AND they chop hard.

Like I said many times, I take that one part of the katana, not the rest of all the cutting. Just like the front step kick to the knee that is being used a lot in UFC fights. That is one move straight out of Wing Chung. That doesn't mean they have to learn and use all the rest of wing chung. Front leg step kicks to the knee does NOT define WC, their main thing is sticky hands and the others. Step kick is just one move. But MMA took that and becomes a major strike.

I need to watch Hanbo, I just got a video, I have to watch it more to judge. Thanks

One thing is Hanbo I saw use a straight stick so they can use both ends and mirror the moves. Cane has a handle, one cannot mirror the moves completely. I have to worry about the crook end might catch on the opponent or the opponent grab the crook and pull it from me. You get a stronger grip if you grab the handle. That's the reason I try not to turn the cane around and use the handle to hit even though it can do a lot more damage. I worry about being grabbed or even accidentally catch on something and pull it off my hands. That's the down fall of an asymmetrical stick like a crook cane.

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why not? They might be puzzled, but that's so far from being a weapon. That actually is a good idea. Heavier than keys I suggested, not as obvious as pad lock.

Or, get two C size, get a small flash light that use C size. Don't put the battery in. If asked, just say it's new batteries, don't have a chance to put it in yet!!! Two C size in a sock is heavy enough.
Part of the cane thing goes back to what Bill said above. If you really need it, it can be a hassle. I'm guessing I'm younger than both of you at mid-thirties, but I've needed a cane since aged 16 due to birth disabilities.

Don't get me wrong, I've learned to enjoy canes for what they are, including training (poorly) to fight with one. But when you need them to take a step, as I do, using one daily for over half my life... There are moments where it can become tiresome needing it to hand or nearby.

I don't really remember what it was like to use both hands while standing up (not leaning on anything) but I'm sure I used to do that.

I think it's easier to look at a cane a different way if you don't need it, and I mean really need it. From your comments, I get the impression you're quite spry no matter your age. You could probably toss the cane and it wouldn't affect much, including your ability to defend yourself using the basics of your body.

It's a little different if you can't do that, though. I'm pleased that Bill is able to look after himself sans stick as well.

I've taken some nice canes on a plane, but it's only a small perk really.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Part of the cane thing goes back to what Bill said above. If you really need it, it can be a hassle. I'm guessing I'm younger than both of you at mid-thirties, but I've needed a cane since aged 16 due to birth disabilities.

Don't get me wrong, I've learned to enjoy canes for what they are, including training (poorly) to fight with one. But when you need them to take a step, as I do, using one daily for over half my life... There are moments where it can become tiresome needing it to hand or nearby.

I don't really remember what it was like to use both hands while standing up (not leaning on anything) but I'm sure I used to do that.

I think it's easier to look at a cane a different way if you don't need it, and I mean really need it. From your comments, I get the impression you're quite spry no matter your age. You could probably toss the cane and it wouldn't affect much, including your ability to defend yourself using the basics of your body.

It's a little different if you can't do that, though. I'm pleased that Bill is able to look after himself sans stick as well.

I've taken some nice canes on a plane, but it's only a small perk really.
I don't really get what you are trying to say. Almost seems like those that need a cane to walk feel offended if someone carry a cane not for walking. What I do has nothing to do with those that need a cane.

I pick up a cane since the beginning of last year when older Asians are being attacked on the street. And I practice hard in using the cane as stick fight. I am not going to say I have a few years in MA and I can defend myself, bad things happens when one is over confident even though I still practice MA and exercise 7 hours a week. A cane and practice how to use it can only help.

I am not going to comment on how others feel, I can only speak for myself that I DO NOT under estimate the opponent and I do not think too highly of myself that I can defend myself bare handed. Those that think they can confidently defending themselves, good for them. I always practice and prepare. Particular now that I am getting old and slowing down no matter how hard I try. I can use all the help I can get.

I hope people don't get offended when others that don't need a cane but carrying one. This has nothing to do with you needing a cane. It's all about how I feel to prepare myself.

Last edited:

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Umm. I'm a little lost here. Help me out. From the OP we had a question about weapons we could improvise from or at least get on a plane with. I mean, the thread is titled MY TSA APPROVED IMPROVISED WEAPON CHOICE. Somehow, it has found a fork in the road and, rather than just picking it up and moving on, we've jumped down a rabbit hole willingly into a stern discussion about katanas. I haven't traveled via plane in the last couple of years, but I'm pretty sure a wood or even a plastic katana would never make it into the cabin area of a plane.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a reasonable break down of how to cut with a katana (posting the first of a multi-part series). The point of all these little nuances is to prevent the user from chopping... but to instead cut or slice with the katana.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks chopping to me, they chop those stuff. Maybe you have a special name for those. It's chopping to me AND they chop hard.

Like I said many times, I take that one part of the katana, not the rest of all the cutting. Just like the front step kick to the knee that is being used a lot in UFC fights. That is one move straight out of Wing Chung. That doesn't mean they have to learn and use all the rest of wing chung. Front leg step kicks to the knee does NOT define WC, their main thing is sticky hands and the others. Step kick is just one move. But MMA took that and becomes a major strike.

I need to watch Hanbo, I just got a video, I have to watch it more to judge. Thanks

One thing is Hanbo I saw use a straight stick so they can use both ends and mirror the moves. Cane has a handle, one cannot mirror the moves completely. I have to worry about the crook end might catch on the opponent or the opponent grab the crook and pull it from me. You get a stronger grip if you grab the handle. That's the reason I try not to turn the cane around and use the handle to hit even though it can do a lot more damage. I worry about being grabbed or even accidentally catch on something and pull it off my hands. That's the down fall of an asymmetrical stick like a crook cane.
They look like a chopping motion, but aren’t. Chopping won’t cut those bunches.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But you do not understand. Using caps doesn't change it.

And yes, a different name. Cutting. As already stated.
I just look the motion and I use it. Whether there is a little slicing during the chop is small difference. Obvious it's useless to put slicing motion with the cane.

Nothing fit perfect, I yet to find anything that is 100% for using with a cane. This motion sure a lot closer and better than analogy of swinging a baseball bet. It's the closest I can find.
They look like a chopping motion, but aren’t. Chopping won’t cut those bunches.
Like I said, I just use the chopping motion, forget the little slicing. It's the closest I can find for stick fight with two hands.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is a reasonable break down of how to cut with a katana (posting the first of a multi-part series). The point of all these little nuances is to prevent the user from chopping... but to instead cut or slice with the katana.

My point is nothing fits perfect for stick, it's obvious that cutting motion is useless. But at least the chopping movement of the katana is closer than the baseball bet swing. I look at the effectiveness of the chopping movement of the katana, who cares about the little detail of a little bit of slicing. Point is I integrate into the stick fight, at least it's a lot closer than swinging the baseball bet.

Nothing fits perfect. In your video, he talked about using a little hip. In stick fight, I need to use a whole lot more, the hip the legs, just like punching that you use the whole body to generate the power. The stick don't have the edge to cut, so the raw power is the most important.
It is hard to find any style that is for cane. Most of them are just too fancy. You would think like Tapado would be good or even Hanbo. Tapado uses a longer stick and keep hitting the ground to bounce back. I watched Hanbo, like I said the cane is asymmetrical and the hook handle can catch on something while hitting and pull off from the hand. You really cannot do symmetrical mirror motion with a cane. Also, the way they hold the stick with both thumbs facing inward, you really cannot swing that fast either way.

Here is the video I recorded like 9 months ago, I improved a lot( I hope) since. Since the video, I concentrate on hitting(or chopping) the knee instead of the head because it's harder to grab the cane if I hit low. But you can see I already use something like Hanbo type of striking. But because of the crook end, I use the end of the crook like an extended fist punching the bag.

It's not easy to find any style that fits the cane, just have to take a little here and there to make it fit. I yet to find any style that I like enough to get deeper into. I added in kicking in the mix in case they try to grab the stick, mainly low WC step kick to the knee or round kick to the knee. I just feel it's a lot harder to defend attacks to the lower body and hard to grab the cane when hitting low. I put in more body into the strike also since.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don’t understand the general disrespect for TSA agents. When I’m traveling, I never get messed with by TSA and nothing irritates me more than jackwagons who are causing trouble when I’m just trying to get through security so I can get to my gate. Why some of you think that’s something to be proud of is a mystery to me.

If you don’t know why you’re getting pulled out of line regularly, you may want to do some self reflection.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Umm. I'm a little lost here. Help me out. From the OP we had a question about weapons we could improvise from or at least get on a plane with. I mean, the thread is titled MY TSA APPROVED IMPROVISED WEAPON CHOICE. Somehow, it has found a fork in the road and, rather than just picking it up and moving on, we've jumped down a rabbit hole willingly into a stern discussion about katanas. I haven't traveled via plane in the last couple of years, but I'm pretty sure a wood or even a plastic katana would never make it into the cabin area of a plane.
I wish I’d skipped the last several pages entirely. I didn’t make it past the posturing around who gives TSA the hardest time. Reads like old guys longing to be viewed as dangerous. I’ll take nitpicking over cutting vs chopping over that all day long.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don’t understand the general disrespect for TSA agents. When I’m traveling, I never get messed with by TSA and nothing irritates me more than jackwagons who are causing trouble when I’m just trying to get through security so I can get to my gate. Why some of you think that’s something to be proud of is a mystery to me.

If you don’t know why you’re getting pulled out of line regularly, you may want to do some self reflection.
I think it's random, just by like 1 out of 10 etc. Some people just unlucky to be #10 all the time. I think I got pull over one time. Just a random draw. They make it a strong point not to type cast.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it's random, just by like 1 out of 10 etc. Some people just unlucky to be #10 all the time. I think I got pull over one time. Just a random draw. They make it a strong point not to type cast.
well I mean yeah. But they also pull people who seem suspicious for some reason or another.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
well I mean yeah. But they also pull people who seem suspicious for some reason or another.
I saw just as much women being searched. I did not see them any more threatening just by looking at them.

BTW, I think the tread has long run out of steam already. OP got his answer, really not much to talk about anymore unless someone comes up with some new ideas. It's slow here, we are just all ranting.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually don’t mind it, I just wonder what it is that I’m doing that makes get called out. I am the most rule following, law abiding square of all time for like 30 years. I’ve been all the way down to my shorts twice in the airport. Once was with my mother. She was more embarrassed than I was. Wait, I don’t mean they stripped me in front of everybody(they have a screen) Just that it was embarrassing to get searched.