My TSA approved improvised weapon choice.......

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I began traveling internationally, I struggled to find a weapon that I could carry anywhere. I came up with many nasty options.

Including a trick I learned about when I was an undercover, investigating motorcycle gangs. The weapon of choice with many motorcycle gangs being a handkerchief slid through a padlock. Carried in the back pocket with the tails of the handkerchief hanging out of the pocket. Obviously you could quickly grab the tails and pull out a pretty nasty weapon!

However ultimately that is not what I went with. Instead I carry a very simple device. What I carry everywhere is a common metal water bottle. Of course I found one that fits my hand perfectly. When filed with water it's like carrying a hammer.

Nobody ever gives it a second look. I have had so many other gadgets that went through one international airport fine, but was seized in another country. My tactical pin was seized in South Korea for instance. However the water bottle goes everywhere.

As an added bonus, I stay more hydrated. But also I can always boild water when traveling. Although I carry multiple options for clean water and the water bottle is more of a last resort.

I haven't hit anyone with it yet, and hopefully never will. But oh my would it do the trick!

What is your favorite TSA approved weapon?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time flying in my life, and a lot of time working at TSA checkpoints. (a terrible post to get stuck with, but many times entertaining.)

As such, I fly with a slew of things in my carry-on that are perfectly acceptable to fly with, that we've spent years, decades actually, training with for bad scenarios.

And I'll tell you one thing - TSA people don't get paid enough, no matter what their salary is. That is one thankless job dealing with way more A-holes than anyone should be expected to tolerate within a given lifetime.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
belt.jpg

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depends on how old you are. I carry a cane everywhere I go since last year when people started to attack older Asians. That's the only reason I am here.......stick fight. I just join in the MA side just because I am here. To me bare knuckle MA is just aerobic exercise. This, is self defense.

But do practice if you want to carry. I split half and half time between stick fight and heavy bags punching and kicking. I have been doing it for a year and half. Don't just carry and think you can use it. It's very easy to hit something in the way and the cane flies off your hand. Then the attacker can pick up your cane against you.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is impractical. So obvious I doubt you can pass the airport, AND you really need to know what you are doing. I question in real life situation(not in movie) where there are other obstacles in the way, how effective this can be. It's flexible like whips, looks good in the movie only.

I rather cloth with pad lock, they both can hit you back if you are not careful. obstacles in the way can make it more unpredictable.

Even with the cane, I spend time practice in confined space where there are furniture in the way to get use to real life situation. With a stick, I can hold the stick more in the middle to shorten the stick swing radius, you will have a hard time doing that with this.

Fancy and flashy is usually not good.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Another thing I bought lately, but have not use is this:
Amazon.com : no touch keychain tool

It's "supposed" to be for pushing elevator button, open door handle without touching in this pandemic. But, it's a brass knuckle!!!
No touch keychain.jpg

Is stun gun allow on the plane? I know pepper spray is NOT.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thing I bought lately, but have not use is this:
Amazon.com : no touch keychain tool

It's "supposed" to be for pushing elevator button, open door handle without touching in this pandemic. But, it's a brass knuckle!!!
View attachment 28831

Is stun gun allow on the plane? I know pepper spray is NOT.
That could certainly do damage. The truck to something like that is having the awareness, and bias to put it on early in a confrontation.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had so many other gadgets that went through one international airport fine, but was seized in another country. My tactical pin was seized in South Korea for instance.
I never understood why people would buy this:

Its expensive (they used to cost a lot more)... and it screams "I am a weapon!!!" If you know how to use that as a weapon... buy this instead:

You don't need aircraft grade aluminum to use against another person. It looks totally innocent. And if they confiscate it... its ok, it came in a 2-pack... you have another one... Also, Zebra pens are really nice to write with....

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
[/URL]

Its expensive (they used to cost a lot more)... and it screams "I am a weapon!!!" If you know how to use that as a weapon... buy this instead:
[/URL]

You don't need aircraft grade aluminum to use against another person. It looks totally innocent. And if they confiscate it... its ok, it came in a 2-pack... you have another one... Also, Zebra pens are really nice to write with....
Yeah that's fair. I picked the Rebel because I thought it looked the least tactical. After my first few years being a "tactical guy" I started distancing myself "tactical looking" stuff. Hints the "rebel" version and now my water bottle option.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The idea of cloth with pad lock is good if you know how to swing it. Why no using keys? Just put a few extra keys to make up the weight. You can even use a chain to hang on your belt like in the older days. Hang on the belt and keys in the pocket. Pull it out and swing.

Tactical pen is not very useful and obvious.

I take that you don't like cane. I know, a lot of men don't like cane because it make them look old and weak. My stepson is like that, he really need the cane because he has foot problem. I even offered him one of mine and he refused to even touch it.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A tactical pen is very obvious when going through security. However, pens can be very useful, if you know how to use one. Learn how to use a kuboton and or a yawara stick and then apply to your pen. If you are using a non-tactical pen... it may very easily be overlooked as a weapon.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The idea of cloth with pad lock is good if you know how to swing it. Why no using keys? Just put a few extra keys to make up the weight. You can even use a chain to hang on your belt like in the older days. Hang on the belt and keys in the pocket. Pull it out and swing.

I take that you don't like cane. I know, a lot of men don't like cane because it make them look old and weak. My stepson is like that, he really need the cane because he has foot problem. I even offered him one of mine and he refused to even touch it.
I don't like canes for multiple reasons. Primarily I think they are extremely overrated as an effect tool.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

In regards to pens. The uniball power tank from my video is basically the best pen ever.

It is a disposable space pen basically. So it writes under water, in space and in freezing conditions.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But they do work well as a sturdy stick. And you can get away with carrying said sturdy stick without raising anyone's eyebrows.
Extra over 10" of reach also. I particularly practice hitting with two hands like the Japanese sword. I can use a 20oz cane that can hit hard, not the rattan stuff that is light.

It is sure better than brass knuckle, tactical pen or even pocket knife because of the extra reach. It is a lot easier than pad lock tie with cloth. I just afraid when the pad lock hit something, the movement of the pad lock becomes unpredictable. Might hit back on you!!! It's a lot harder to control unless you really spend the time to practice. Well, you need to practice with a cane also, but not as critical.

One thing I notice, at least two people I know absolutely refused to consider carrying a cane. The reason is making them look old. Funny, I told them even if they are close to 60, they are OLD!!! Cane is the best thing to me, at my age, nobody even take a second look at me carrying a cane. I don't even try to use it to walk. Whenever I go out, I carry it like a stick, never touch the ground. In a way, I let people know I am not carrying a cane for walking. If this can prevent one attack by just looking at my cane, it's a win in my book.

Also, cane is not consider a lethal weapon, not like knife etc. You likely don't kill anyone, but it has stopping power if you hit hard with a heavier stick.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why don't you think is an effect tool?
I'm not an expert on using a cane. However I do have a black belt in Hapkido, a lot of people that use canes have a background in that system. I'm also a police instructor on both pr24s and straight batons. So I'm not totally ignorant to using sticks and bats. I have used these tools on the job number of times. I have used them for striking, and grappling and joint manipulation.

I feel like a cane would be one of my last choices for this purpose. I think it's too long, and or not long enough. It's awkward, cumbersome and will likely result in grappling. If I'm going to grapple the last thing I want to do is have a cane in my hand. I know there are techniques for this using a cane, but with all of my grappling experience having a cane would just be a major nuisance towards applying grappling techniques.

I'm not intimidated by canes, very easy to get inside a range and nullify it. I think it provides a super ton of false confidence to most people that are carrying it. Again that's just my opinion I know a lot of people will disagree. And that's fine but it's not for me and I think it's overhyped.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on using a cane. However I do have a black belt in Hapkido, a lot of people that use canes have a background in that system. I'm also a police instructor on both pr24s and straight batons. So I'm not totally ignorant to using sticks and bats. I have used these tools on the job number of times. I have used them for striking, and grappling and joint manipulation.

I feel like a cane would be one of my last choices for this purpose. I think it's too long, and or not long enough. It's awkward, cumbersome and will likely result in grappling. If I'm going to grapple the last thing I want to do is have a cane in my hand. I know there are techniques for this using a cane, but with all of my grappling experience having a cane would just be a major nuisance towards applying grappling techniques.

I'm not intimidated by canes, very easy to get inside a range and nullify it. I think it provides a super ton of false confidence to most people that are carrying it. Again that's just my opinion I know a lot of people will disagree. And that's fine but it's not for me and I think it's overhyped.
You are assuming the one uses the cane is not as good as you. But what if the opponent uses the cane is an expert also, you think you can get in and do grappling that easy?

The way I see it is you have to compare two people with similar skill. Then the one with the cane will have a much longer reach than bare knuckle or even a knife, that the one with the cane can hit the bare knuckle before he has any chance to close in. It's no point talking about two people with very different level of skill.

That's the reason I made it very clear that one cannot just carry a cane and assume they can fight. Like I said, I've been practicing for a year and half already. I am no where good, but at least I paid the dues and keep practicing. The worst is someone carrying and don't know how to use it.

I am not trying to convince you one way or the other. If you don't like it, it's your choice. I just cannot imagine two people of same skill level, one either bare hand or even a pocket knife can win over one with a cane. REMEMBER, they are at SAME skill level.

Latest Discussions