Barnesville teen denied Catholic confirmation after Facebook post supporting gay marriage

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Published November 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
Barnesville teen denied Catholic confirmation after Facebook post supporting gay marriage

By: Erik Burgess , INFORUM EXCERPT

BARNESVILLE, Minn. – If you want to be a Catholic, you have to be 100 percent Catholic.

That’s the lesson one family here learned after their 17-year-old son was denied confirmation after the priest at the Assumption Church here found a pro same-sex marriage post on the teen’s Facebook.

The decision by the Rev. Gary LaMoine to deny the religious rite of passage for Lennon Cihak in mid-October shocked his mother, who said her son has gone to church every week and volunteered around the community in preparation for his confirmation this year.

“You kind of know the Catholic beliefs, but I never thought they would deny somebody confirmation because you weren’t 100 percent. I guess that’s what shocks me,” Shana Cihak said.

The Facebook post in question was a photo of Lennon in front of an altered political sign. Originally reading “Vote Yes” on the Minnesota Marriage Amendment, which would have changed the state’s constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman, Lennon scribbled out the “yes” and replaced it with “NO!”

<<<SNIP>>>

“You should be able to go to a church for support, help,” Lennon said. “He pushed me away.”

Shana said she contacted Bishop Michael Hoeppner of the Catholic Diocese in Crookston to see what her options were to appeal, but Hoeppner said not much could be done. A more formal appeal could still be filed, she said.

A St. Joseph’s Catholic School teacher in Moorhead was also let go earlier this year after she expressed concern about Hoeppner preaching to children about the marriage amendment.

Calls to a phone number listed for Hoeppner on Wednesday evening resulted in a message saying the phone was temporarily not accepting calls.

But through it all, Lennon said his faith hasn’t faltered.

“I don’t want the church to be put down. I don’t want the Catholic religion to be put down,” he said. “It’s just the way the priest has things running. He’s so strict. He won’t loosen up about things.”
END EXCERPT
Yeah, you cannot pick and choose which parts of Catholicism apply to you...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you cannot pick and choose which parts of Catholicism apply to you...

Actually you can, and nearly all members of nearly all religions do exactly that. 82% of American Catholics say that contraception is "morally acceptable" and 98% of American Catholic women have used contraception at some point. 66% of American Catholics favor the death penalty. 53% of all American Catholics say that abortion should be legal in "all or most cases." Of course, the Catholic Church itself holds that all of these things are grave sins. And yet we don't find 53%, 66%, 82%, or 98% of Catholics denied confirmation, access to the sacraments, or anything similar. It is clear that Catholics as a group feel very free to decide what applies to them, and they don't as a group face any sanction for it. Much like the members of all other religions, hierarchical or not.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst I support the young Mr. Cihak's (hmm, familiar-sounding last name) moral convictions, the Catholic Church is under no obligation to 'not be so strict'. Their rules are their rules. Arbitrary, capricious, double-standard, yes, all of that, I agree. But that's what it is. The local diocesan priest has a lot of authority on these matters. While it is news, and it's frankly a bit disappointing, it's also ultimately not anyone's business but the young man, his family, and the local Diocese.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually you can, and nearly all members of nearly all religions do exactly that. 82% of American Catholics say that contraception is "morally acceptable" and 98% of American Catholic women have used contraception at some point. 66% of American Catholics favor the death penalty. 53% of all American Catholics say that abortion should be legal in "all or most cases." Of course, the Catholic Church itself holds that all of these things are grave sins. And yet we don't find 53%, 66%, 82%, or 98% of Catholics denied confirmation, access to the sacraments, or anything similar. It is clear that Catholics as a group feel very free to decide what applies to them, and they don't as a group face any sanction for it. Much like the members of all other religions, hierarchical or not.

All true, as far as I know (I have no idea what the actual numbers are, but I don't doubt yours).

However, we're talking about generalities versus the tip of the spear here. If a given Catholic woman goes in to confess and says she is taking birth control pills and does not intend to stop, the priest can (if he so chooses) deny her absolution. If a given person or group of Catholics make a public statement to the effect that they refuse to obey Church teachings on a particular point, the Church can, as it chooses, take action, up to and including removing them from the Church through excommunication (technically, they would have been considered to have excommunicated themselves, but that's not how it plays in the press).

Do Catholics pick and choose? Yes, they sure do. Does the Church take action on it? When they have specific information or public actions, they can and sometimes do.

So the fact that most Catholics do not obey all the Catholic laws doesn't mean anything. If they are caught, they are punished if the local Diocese that has religious authority over them chooses to do so.

It's like saying most people don't come to a complete stop at stop signs. True, but if you get caught by a cop who wants to do something about it, you get a ticket. You can argue that 'everybody does it' all you like, it doesn't matter, even if you're right.

EDIT: And FYI, no matter how many Catholics say that abortion or birth control are morally acceptable, only ONE person gets to make that decision, the Pope. The Catholic Church is not a democracy in that sense.

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here. Was it just the comment on FB, or was it the fact that the young man was also actively campaigning in support of gay marriage?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whilst I support the young Mr. Cihak's (hmm, familiar-sounding last name) moral convictions, the Catholic Church is under no obligation to 'not be so strict'. Their rules are their rules. Arbitrary, capricious, double-standard, yes, all of that, I agree. But that's what it is. The local diocesan priest has a lot of authority on these matters. While it is news, and it's frankly a bit disappointing, it's also ultimately not anyone's business but the young man, his family, and the local Diocese.

Nor to my knowledge are most main stream religions. In fact, I would submit that a group that calls itself a religion and does not stick to its principles isn't worth much. My opinion of course, and any who belong to a 'church' that changes moral principle at the whim of the congregation, if you are happy, so be it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here. Was it just the comment on FB, or was it the fact that the young man was also actively campaigning in support of gay marriage?

Reading between the lines of the post in the thread, it would seem to be the same thing. But I think you would have to ask the catholic priest who made the decision to be sure.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reading between the lines of the post in the thread, it would seem to be the same thing. But I think you would have to ask the catholic priest who made the decision to be sure.

I didn't know if there were other news articles that went into more detail or if the priest had made a more complete statement about the process behind his decision.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't know if there were other news articles that went into more detail or if the priest had made a more complete statement about the process behind his decision.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/380452/

The Facebook post in question was a photo of Lennon in front of an altered political sign. Originally reading &#8220;Vote Yes&#8221; on the Minnesota Marriage Amendment, which would have changed the state&#8217;s constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman, Lennon scribbled out the &#8220;yes&#8221; and replaced it with &#8220;NO!&#8221;

Shana, who said she was confirmed at the same church, was called into a private conversation with the priest soon after the photo was discovered and was told her son wouldn&#8217;t be allowed to complete confirmation.

View attachment $1115marriagesign.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the priests parish, his call.
For Confirmation, it's actually the Bishop's call, based on the pastor's recommendation. The Bishop is the ordinary person to administer the rite, though in a large diocese, he may delegate it to pastors or auxiliary bishops. Usually a rubber stamp...

But Confirmation is the final Sacrament of Initiation for the Roman Catholic Church. If a candidate for Confirmation is openly espousing views in conflict with Church teaching, it's appropriate for the sacrament to be denied. Immaturity is another reason that candidates have been denied. Personal opinion -- this is now a blown opportunity for pastoral formation and education.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just to note, I have family that lives in Barnesville Minnesota. It's in the most socially conservative part of the state. For example, an old high school friend is a Biology teacher there as well. She catches hell from the community for teaching evolution despite being religious herself. So, I guess this doesn't surprise me.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Their org. their rules. But they'll put themselves out of business this way...which suits me fine.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand the priest and bishop denying this young man confirmation, but at the same time I believe they are denying the church an embassador for what a young Catholic can be. In the story it notes he is active in both the church and the community. His differences with the church seem to be from a place of compassion for others. I would think the church would want this type of young man to be associated with the church, despite differences in opinion on one issue. The Catholic church has a problem with young people right now. More and more are moving away from the religion and its' authoritism and lack of progressive reforms are major reasons why. An upstanding young man like this could be a counter balance to those arguements, but instead confirm them for many. I do hope that the differences between the young man nad his diocese can be worked out.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For Confirmation, it's actually the Bishop's call, based on the pastor's recommendation. The Bishop is the ordinary person to administer the rite, though in a large diocese, he may delegate it to pastors or auxiliary bishops. Usually a rubber stamp...

But Confirmation is the final Sacrament of Initiation for the Roman Catholic Church. If a candidate for Confirmation is openly espousing views in conflict with Church teaching, it's appropriate for the sacrament to be denied. Immaturity is another reason that candidates have been denied. Personal opinion -- this is now a blown opportunity for pastoral formation and education.

Agree on all counts. When a person is ineligible for confirmation it generally doesn't mean not now not never, it means not now but maybe later....how much later depends on the person and their relationship with the church. I didn't want to be confirmed at all when I was a teen so I went back and did RCIA. I had my own disagreements with the church, particularly over birth control. Rather than kicking me to the curb my priest and my cardinal both reached out to me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He probably was actively campaigning, judging from the pic, and he defaced someone else's sign, not exactly the best way to handle disagreement.

Also, if he has been going to that church every sunday, and is active in its community, he should have known his priest was strict about certain things and either not done them, or not complained when he was on the bad end of it. As was already said, his church his rules.

Finally, while I disagree with the catholic church on a lot of things, including refusing confirmation to someone over this (although I suspect it was a lot more than just the photo), it IS a sacrament, and he was going against the church. I have no pity for him or outrage for the church/priest.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.dl-online.com/event/article/id/71314/

2nd student denied Catholic confirmation in Barnesville In letter to parish, priest apologizes for actions of family
BARNESVILLE, Minn. &#8211; The teenager who was not confirmed at the Catholic church here after he publicly supported same-sex marriage was not the only student who was denied the religious sacrament for backing gay marriage, the church&#8217;s priest said in a letter made public Friday.

Lennon&#8217;s parents maintain that their son was denied confirmation by LaMoine soon after he discovered the Facebook photo of the boy encouraging people to vote against a measure that would have amended the state constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman &#8211; a measure that ultimately failed.

In the letter sent out to the parish, LaMoine says Lennon voluntarily withdrew from the program after LaMoine saw the photo and challenged him on why he was &#8220;rejecting a central teaching of the Church.&#8221;

Latest Discussions