My first Tameshigiri

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently had my first session of Tameshigiri, and it was damn fun! And (thanks in no small part to my seniors) gained allot of insight into my cutting.
I wanted to ask, have many of you also had a chance to do this before? And if so, how often? I'm curious as to how common this is for other JSA guys, as our group doesn't have too much emphasis on it.

Also, what are things to look for when cutting? For example, after one of my cuts, my senior came up and told me that I was using my right hand for power, not my left. To me, it just looked like I'd cut the thing, so obviously I don't have the eyes to see it yet.

So, any suggestions for my next time, or just comments in general would be great :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is not something that is done all that frequently, Sanke, but it is of great use for it enables students to see more clearly where they have problems with their cutting strokes.

It is also of use because it tends to be a graphic demonstration of just how easily a katana will pass through a target that represents a simulation of the resistance a limb would give.

As an aside, one way of telling if you are using your right hand to add power rather than guidance to a cut is to see if the blade 'fishtails' through the cut i.e. 'wiggles' slightly from side to side rather than following a single, smooth, line.

OP
Sanke

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have now, haha. I'd been hoping they'd gone up, thanks for the reminder.

Sanke on the move.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wanted to ask, have many of you also had a chance to do this before? And if so, how often? I'm curious as to how common this is for other JSA guys, as our group doesn't have too much emphasis on it.

Most groups will do it every once in a while. Some, such as the MJER school of the Zen Nihon Iaido Renmei, don't believe in ever doing tameshigiri. Others such as some of the Toyama ryu schools, will cut every week. The branch of Mugai ryu that I belong to is a firm believer in tameshigiri, but we only cut every couple of months.

Every beginner I've ever taught has used too much right hand as they feel like they have to power through the target. The whole key is that it is tip speed, not power, that will cut single targets. The more right hand that is used the slower the blade travels, resulting in more effort to cut the target.

There are actually a number of competitions in Japan and in the U.S. where tameshigiri is a major component. There are usually two or three kata events, and up to six cutting events at these Tai Kai. They are usually staged by one of the Toyama related groups.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In 12 ½ years, I’ve done it twice, and the last time was…..at least 8 years ago.

The first time I tried it, I was told to cut like I cut in iaido, and guess what? It worked just as it was supposed to. I had the tip speed Paul mentioned and I felt little to no resistance as the blade easily went through the mats.

The second time, I cut a couple of mats and stepped aside for those who had never tried cutting before.

Everyone should practice it at least once in a career, if only to have the confidence in what you learn in class actually works. Outside of entertainment purposes, I don’t believe it’s necessary to cut on a regular basis.

Latest Discussions