My first seminar

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just got back from my first Isshin-Ryu seminar, at "Mother" Mel Sims' seminar taught by Sensei John Kerker in Sidney, Illinois, near Champaign.

I have to say, I'm sore all over, and very tired. I'll sleep well tonight. I was taught a lot more than I was able to learn; but I did get a lot of Tokumini No Kun bo kata, and I feel pretty good about that. We also did a lot of application of empty-hand kata, really eye-opening stuff. Some we do in our dojo all the time, so that was great, but also learned a lot of new stuff that I hadn't seen before.

The 2nd half of the 2nd day, we worked on balance points; this was something I had not seen before. We got out the mats and practiced on each other; the applications seem endless, and when it was my turn to be uke, my partner practicing the techniques thought I was 'giving it to him' by falling to the ground when he applied the technique; I was not. It was simply impossible to maintain my balance when the technique were applied. I found most of the techniques very straightforward to apply as well, but I will need a lot more practice. I was very impressed by the fact that these techniques could be applied as a force multiplier for a person of smaller stature or less strength than their attacker. Cool stuff, very cool.

I am planning to attend the next seminar if I am able.

What are your experiences with seminars? Positive or negative?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seminar and intensives are a great opportunity to learn! Coupled of course with regular training! ;) Glad you had fun!

I agree about regular attendance; I train twice a week at my dojo. This was just extra-curricular!

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seminars rock. :bangahead:

My first one was a bodacious two half days and two full days with Manny Manaloukakis. I had only been doing MA for about 5 months at the time, and I found myself surrounded by about 30 of the nicest guys I'd ever met. Most of them were also instructors, and utterly patient and generous with their expertise. My skill set sprang forward light years in that long weekend, and I'd jump at the chance to train with him again.

I've done several seminars since then, all extremely helpful. I actually did one this weekend in Sambo. Turns out there is a lot of crossover with judo, something I've never done. Not only was I the only female and the only novice, I also don't own a gi. (My own MA doesn't involve uniforms so for some reason I jumped to the conclusion that Sambo wouldn't either. They're both Russian, right? :duh: ) In spite of that, or maybe because of that, the instructor was very welcoming. I learned some kickass new skills and discovered something else I never thought I could do - roll with total strangers. Didn't bother me at all.

So yes, I seminar every chance I get as long as it's feasible geographically and financially, and relevant to my interests. There's a fantastic one I was saving my money for this week (knife work) but it turned out to be on Friday rather than Saturday. :( I'll probably wind up saving that money for Seminar Next. It's always worth it.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
nice Bill!
I have found that seminars are alot of fun, for me I have found that attending seminars from seniors in my art, and even just great instructors in other arts have led me to think outside the box so to speak, look at what i do with fresh eyes, and get a slightly different take on things to what I am exposed to in my normal training.
I have seen some things I don't like in seminars but that has been a small percentage of the seminars I have seen. Like Brian mentioned above, and like my thoughts on video training, these things seem to have the best effects when you do them in combination with your normal training. I am not sure how your instructor is, but I have come back and discussed things I saw in seminars that might be different then what we do and have some great conversation as to why things are different, or why they changed, or why there might be a different interpretation.
all in all fun stuff.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
-off topic sorry Bill-

Flea wrote
"discovered something else I never thought I could do - roll with total strangers. Didn't bother me at all."

I was recently rereading that “grappling with PTSD” thread. Flea, it has been what, about two years of difficult work but I wonder if you have any idea of the wonderful healthy progress you have made? Just wanted to point out the obvious progress and tell you I am proud of you.

Regards
Brian King

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like seminars! In fact I look forward to a great one with Jack Hoban coming to my dojo in May!

The problem is remembering what is taught at seminars so I always bring a notebook to write down what's being taught or buy a DVD we make of the event so I can keep practicing it.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like seminars! In fact I look forward to a great one with Jack Hoban coming to my dojo in May!

The problem is remembering what is taught at seminars so I always bring a notebook to write down what's being taught or buy a DVD we make of the event so I can keep practicing it.

I noticed that myself. I started forgetting almost right away. I was there with one of my sensei, so I hope we can keep working what we learned and not lose it. And the thing was video-taped. I bought a copy of last-year's seminar, and I will buy a copy of the one I was just in as soon as it's available. That should help too.

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
I noticed that myself. I started forgetting almost right away. I was there with one of my sensei, so I hope we can keep working what we learned and not lose it. And the thing was video-taped. I bought a copy of last-year's seminar, and I will buy a copy of the one I was just in as soon as it's available. That should help too.

Ditto. Ever since I started my training 2+ years ago I've kept a running diary of every class. Sometimes the entry goes on for several paragraphs. Sometimes it's "I didn't understand a thing." But I'm always careful to get something in there. It's fun sometimes to go back and read it cover to cover. I've come a long way, baby. And thank you too, Brian.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds awsome man! I remember my first seminar too, Chuck Norris corrected my kicks! You always wish every day in class could be like the seminar, but then it wouldn't be that special right. Anyways, summer is coming up so it'll be that season soon, time to keep an eye out ... no matter the style.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is really cool. I have a Seminar at my school this weekend I can't wait.
I met my Sensei at a seminar. I was amazed at his knowledge and ability to teach. The next weekend I attended another seminar of his. I was so excited to see him again it felt like I was driving for Two days. My Sensei at the time had some things come up and he quit teaching. Master Doyle Seiber took me in and changed my life. I feel like I have learned in the 8 months than 20 years before that. Bill if you ever get a chance to attend a Doyle Seiber seminar DO IT he is amazing. He is a student of Grand Master Harold Mitchum now (I have had a chance to spend time with Master Mitchum and Ms. Glenda on a couple of occasions because of my Sensei), before Master Mitchum he was a student of the Bunkai king, Sherman Harrell and he learned very well. He tells me that the key to any seminar is a paper and pen. I guess you can say that one seminar changed my life.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I consider notebooks to be essential. Even if it's material I've seen dozens of times, there's almost always a new twist or tweak, or just a comment to help me. Writing things down helps you remember them; it makes you process them through a different part of your name, and lets you reexamine them. Mine is a mix of drawings and written descriptions. Sometimes -- the only way to make sense is to stand up, and do what it says... complete with silly words or sounds noted!

I require my students to maintain notebooks. I don't check them like a school teacher -- but I expect them to have one. I strongly encourage everyone to have one.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks all! For those who suggested a notebook - gotta tell ya, it would not have been possible for me. We spent the ENTIRE time on the floor. He showed, we did. I barely had time for water and bio breaks. It was exhausting - I'm still hurting from the punches and blocks I took!

However, the entire thing was videotaped, and the DVD will be available; I'll definitely buy it. I did buy last year's DVD, even though I was not there; I haven't viewed it yet, but will soon.

Perhaps I can take notes from this year's DVD once I have it in my hot little hands.

We did receive a hand-out that listed the various applications we learned the first half of day 2, so that does help with the memory. I am keeping it with me and going over it in the dojo in spare moments of time.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill typically when I write my notes it is immediately after training and not during it. That seems to be a pretty good way to go about it! ;)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill typically when I write my notes it is immediately after training and not during it. That seems to be a pretty good way to go about it! ;)

We had quite a drive back to the hotel and then immediately to a group dinner. I'm sure you're right, but it just wasn't possible. I don't think I spent a minute alone in two days, and since I was driving my sensei, there was nothing I could do about it. I think notes are a great idea; not possible in my case. However, I hope the video when it becomes available will be of use in that regard.

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
since I was driving my sensei, there was nothing I could do about it. I think notes are a great idea;

Yes, thank you for not driving and writing. :angel:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't always have time to take notes when you're training -- you need to take advantage of breaks and/or work on it when you get home. (I generally end up doing both.) I know one person who would take Greyhound down to train, spend a weekend training, then sit on the bus, writing notes on the way home until he crashed asleep from exhaustion.

It can also be good to discuss your notes with other people from your club who were there; they'll have seen things differently or may write something that you missed. My training partner and I will sit down and reconstruct something from both our notes.

And -- when I get handouts, I take notes right on it. Even if it's just a scrawled couple of words or quick sketch while it's fresh, to review and add later. For example -- you can sit down tonight, and put some notes about it together. You mentioned being shown balance points -- so make some notes or sketches or both now. I guarantee if you go "I'll never forget this!", in a week -- it'll be lost! But just a few words, done while it's fresh, can lock it in, and even if you forget, when you review it, can help put you back in the mindset from the day, and you'll remember more than you think by returning to that mental state.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We had quite a drive back to the hotel and then immediately to a group dinner. I'm sure you're right, but it just wasn't possible. I don't think I spent a minute alone in two days, and since I was driving my sensei, there was nothing I could do about it. I think notes are a great idea; not possible in my case. However, I hope the video when it becomes available will be of use in that regard.

I got tired of trying to decipher my chicken scratch when I ran outside sales and was constantly writing notes after leaving meeting while driving in my car.
I purchased a cheap handheld recorder that used small tapes and have never looked back since. I know now they have recorders that are digital, and even voice to text translation so you can carry them with you, use them, covnert the data to your computer and move on easily.
I highly recommend them for seminars, even if you are simply in a car with your instructor you can click record and discuss the topics you learned, and have a nice reference material fresh when you need .....if your instructor is discussing it with you then all the better.