My first Aikido lesson tonight

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Went well. Worked on so many techniques, lots of Ukemi, Irimi, Etc.

Small dojo with only 5 students, so worked on all the same stuff as them. Might not be able to walk tomorrow, but I feel great. Even worked on Jo-waza?? I hope I have that correct.

Felt incredibly off balance all evening, despite having a boxing/kickboxing/military past, and felt like the nuances were completely beyond me. That being said, I don't think I was horrible. Could roll and fall well. Need to SLOW down. Kept referring to center, and felt like I was unable to find mine most of the evening. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't ask me all the Japanese names of the multiple techniques we practiced, although I am sure I will learn them in time.

Happy to be back training. :drink2tha

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
With good teachers a small class is almost like personal training (one of the benefits of small classes)

I know that feeling too well unbalanced feeling, once you have been with it a while you get used to it and it becomes natural and your moves become more graceful and fluent

Best of luck with your chosen style

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being an introvert, I generally prefer a smaller group of people, but I think you need at least a couple people in class. I've done both Hapkido and Taekwondo with only 2 other students in class with me, and while it is a fairly personal lesson, I feel it's too small to really work off the other students' energies. 5-10 is perfect for me, so I'd say you lucked out!

I don't know much about Aikido, but from what I can tell based on a quick search it's got some similarity to Hapkido, which I've recently started. From what I can tell, it's all pressure points and footwork, both of which I'm bad at :/

Glad you enjoy Aikido, looks like some pretty effective stuff from what I've seen of it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never felt so spastic in my whole life as when I started Hapkido. Not to mention that we were taught 3 new techniques at all classes. You memory begins to improve fast! You also have to spend a lot of time outside the class working on everything. I am sure you are doing it, but be sure to do a fair amount of stretching. I know that is necessary in Hapkido. Otherwise you really risk injury. But I guess from your online name you already know that.

I noticed from your profile that you have studied Hapkido. Do you see similarities, differences?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My first Aikido lesson tonight
Which style? There's Aikido and then there's Aikido (and then there's Aikido and Aikido and Aikido and Aikido and Aikido and Aikido and Aikido...).

Went well. Worked on so many techniques, lots of Ukemi,
Falling techniques. This should be mandatory for every martial art and even for folks who don't do martial arts. I can't tell you how many people are injured daily due to trips and slips which could be mitigated with a basic understanding of safe falling. I've used safe falling techniques in my normal life 100 times more than I've ever used any other "martial" training element.

Irimi, Etc.
Irimi is, basically, just entering straight in to a technique. It's common with stuff like shomen ate but is pretty standard fair across the martial arts landscape. Aikido is, imo, better known for its tenkan applications than irimi.

Small dojo
Personalized instruction.

Felt incredibly off balance all evening, despite having a boxing/kickboxing/military past, and felt like the nuances were completely beyond me.
It's the same but it's different. Don't sweat it. Eventually something will click and you'll see that it was the same thing you used to do only with a different twist on the theme and it'll all make sense.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Falling techniques. This should be mandatory for every martial art and even for folks who don't do martial arts. I can't tell you how many people are injured daily due to trips and slips which could be mitigated with a basic understanding of safe falling. I've used safe falling techniques in my normal life 100 times more than I've ever used any other "martial" training element.
Kirk

Like rolls or like trying to land safely (or is it both)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like rolls or like trying to land safely (or is it both)
Simple back-falls and side-falls mostly with the occasional forward-fall. The stuff that happens when you slip on an icey sidewalk or trip while carrying the groceries.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk (mobile)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't need martial arts to teach me how to fall. Generally klutziness has done that for me! (Actually I used to be able to land a backflip on my face without hurting myself - made for a great stupid human trick).

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't need martial arts to teach me how to fall. Generally klutziness has done that for me! (Actually I used to be able to land a backflip on my face without hurting myself - made for a great stupid human trick).

Falling is easy. It is the sudden stop at the end that needs to be properly mitigated.

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I never felt so spastic in my whole life as when I started Hapkido. Not to mention that we were taught 3 new techniques at all classes. You memory begins to improve fast! You also have to spend a lot of time outside the class working on everything. I am sure you are doing it, but be sure to do a fair amount of stretching. I know that is necessary in Hapkido. Otherwise you really risk injury. But I guess from your online name you already know that.

I noticed from your profile that you have studied Hapkido. Do you see similarities, differences?

Thanks. The Hapkido I studied was a militarized form. No rankings, it wasn't official, but was offered on the base. During our recon combat training, we received what we were told was a combination of Karate, Hapkido, Jujitsu, etc.. Then there was a course offering from an officer who was apparently ranked in Hapkido (no idea what rank) that was offering additional training on base 2 nights per week in Hapkido. I only went for 6 months and then was deployed.

That being said, there are some similarities, but big differences. It's way too early to tell much. I've only been there once. Going again Monday night.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Kirk

Hard to emphasize that too much. As a pedestrian, I was hit by a car. I saw it a split second before the impact, and was able to start a side break fall across his hood. Certainly saved worse injury, and probably my life. The break fall was done instinctively without thinking. Funny, if I think about it, I don't always do it so well.

I have fallen on stairs a couple of times, last week most recently. The first time, no injury at all, the last time, bruises on wood stairs, nothing worse besides my ego. Both times, instinctively going into a break fall no doubt save worse injury.

Thanks. The Hapkido I studied was a militarized form. No rankings, it wasn't official, but was offered on the base. During our recon combat training, we received what we were told was a combination of Karate, Hapkido, Jujitsu, etc.. Then there was a course offering from an officer who was apparently ranked in Hapkido (no idea what rank) that was offering additional training on base 2 nights per week in Hapkido. I only went for 6 months and then was deployed.

That being said, there are some similarities, but big differences. It's way too early to tell much. I've only been there once. Going again Monday night.

I think you will enjoy your Aikido. I think there are some philosophical differences, but it is a good art and I have considered it as in my area Hapkido is a little hard to come by, not to mention time.