My Daughter

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My younger half-brother went thru a burnt-out stage during the ages of 10-12. He wanted to run track & play basketball in middle school years. My stepfather was resisted because he wasn't showing great work ethic in TKD. He finally let him play and his track & basketball teammates wanted to do TKD!!!!!! LOL. He took a year off at 14.

My stepfather continued the traditional/color belt classes, and I took over all of the sport training. It rejuvenated my brother having his friends/teammates from school!!! It's the one drawback in competing in TKD is that kids/teenagers don't get the social opportunities & dynamics afforded in participating in high school sports.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
My younger half-brother went thru a burnt-out stage during the ages of 10-12. He wanted to run track & play basketball in middle school years. My stepfather was resisted because he wasn't showing great work ethic in TKD. He finally let him play and his track & basketball teammates wanted to do TKD!!!!!! LOL. He took a year off at 14.

My stepfather continued the traditional/color belt classes, and I took over all of the sport training. It rejuvenated my brother having his friends/teammates from school!!! It's the one drawback in competing in TKD is that kids/teenagers don't get the social opportunities & dynamics afforded in participating in high school sports.
Yeah that is what I am seeing. We will see. I will let my daughter do some track and field, and train her a little less as the track and field will keep her stamina and muscles conditioned so we will only need to train timing, distance and reaction. We'll see how it goes.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very pretty kick, but it kills me dead the way tkd people fight with the hands laying limp by their sides.

AoG

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very pretty kick, but it kills me dead the way tkd people fight with the hands laying limp by their sides.

AoG
Its worth remembering why its done in WTF Bouts - To A: Appear unpredictable; B: As a display of strength, similar to how many forms of Karate will not block punches to demonstrate the strength of their body. C: Its a Sport Bout, and largely due to how it functions, a proper stance is impractical.

There is one benefit to it though; And its why ill even sometimes use it in ITF Bouts - If your hands are up, Punching from the Hip is not easy. With one hand around your Hip, and the other around your Thigh (Which still isnt limp hands, come to think of it. But before learning the Stance, i sure as h*** mistook it for one), your Punching Hand is already Chambered, and able to Punch through, whilst the other hand generates Reverse Power.

You do lose alot of Blocking Capacity, but like i say; Due to the way WTF Bouts function, it is the most Practical Stance for that. And in ITF Bouts, you dont stick around in it any longer than you really need to be able to Aggressively Counter Attack with a Punch.

And this just gave me an idea.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its worth remembering why its done in WTF Bouts - To A: Appear unpredictable; B: As a display of strength, similar to how many forms of Karate will not block punches to demonstrate the strength of their body. C: Its a Sport Bout, and largely due to how it functions, a proper stance is impractical.

There is one benefit to it though; And its why ill even sometimes use it in ITF Bouts - If your hands are up, Punching from the Hip is not easy. With one hand around your Hip, and the other around your Thigh (Which still isnt limp hands, come to think of it. But before learning the Stance, i sure as h*** mistook it for one), your Punching Hand is already Chambered, and able to Punch through, whilst the other hand generates Reverse Power.

You do lose alot of Blocking Capacity, but like i say; Due to the way WTF Bouts function, it is the most Practical Stance for that. And in ITF Bouts, you dont stick around in it any longer than you really need to be able to Aggressively Counter Attack with a Punch.

And this just gave me an idea.
Yeah the hands down thing is only becasue the sport dictates such. It is all about the sport. If this were boxing then the hands would be up. I think all the kids that do the complete art know this. The ones tha only do the sport and nothing else....well that my be a different story.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah the hands down thing is only becasue the sport dictates such. It is all about the sport. If this were boxing then the hands would be up. I think all the kids that do the complete art know this. The ones tha only do the sport and nothing else....well that my be a different story.
Yep - And really, if you only learn the Sport side, Stances aside, you're holding yourself back. Alot.

And if any Dojang ONLY teaches the WTF side, well, McDojangs ahoy :)
But Public Image is fickle. You cant care too much about so many people disliking the Hands By Sides thing. Theres a Thread, in General Martial Arts, where a Karate (Kenpo?) guy mentions someone coming and watching a Class, then complaining that Kata had nothing to do with fighting. Its the exact same misunderstanding, except that one is related to a Stance used for Sport, and the other is a Self Defence Form used for the more Martial Aspect. Different things, same lack of understanding.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chyenne fights in the 14/17 yo and senior divisions. She won gold in JR's, gold in Seniors at the Nationals and then gold at the Team Trails in COS. She was one of my players, Stephanie's, 2nd match, and we forfited the match in the 2nd round after my player got slamed with an awesome body shot with a head kick follow up. My girl is good, but not Chyenne good, yet. Not only is Chyenne an awesome fighter, she is an extremely clean, nice, polite and focused fighter who is there to win. Next year we will go there again because it's matches like that that really lets a player know who and where they are. BTW, ATC, have you put that kick up for the USAT'S Kick of the Month yet?

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chyenne fights in the 14/17 yo and senior divisions. She won gold in JR's, gold in Seniors at the Nationals and then gold at the Team Trails in COS. She was one of my players, Stephanie's, 2nd match, and we forfited the match in the 2nd round after my player got slamed with an awesome body shot with a head kick follow up. My girl is good, but not Chyenne good, yet. Not only is Chyenne an awesome fighter, she is an extremely clean, nice, polite and focused fighter who is there to win. Next year we will go there again because it's matches like that that really lets a player know who and where they are. BTW, ATC, have you put that kick up for the USAT'S Kick of the Month yet?
Hi Sir, Yes Chyenne is an awesome fighter. She is tall quick and hits hard. We have crosstrained with them a couple of times, and I know her and her dad pretty good, nice people. Mr. Lewis is a funny man. He made me laugh when we were watching Chyenne's matches at JO's and Sr Nationals. He looked at me out of the corner of his eye and said" I see you are here doing your due diligence huh?”, then he came over to me after the match and shook my hand. Chyenne is a very nice kid, every time I see her she always shows respect and is smiling. Her story is an interesting one as well. I am glad she overcame and persevered.

Should be fun for my daughter to fight in that division. She does not expect to win but she will give it here best. The bad thing is that she is recovering from foot surgery and can't train right now. She is still in a boot and has about 6 more weeks to go. She has a pin in her foot where she broke it right before JO's. It is hoped to be ready by the JKI so she can prepare for the US Open but if not then oh well.

I saw that match with your competitor. Hope she only gets better from the experience. No I did not put this kick up for the KOM but have put up some others that I thought were better kicks, but never got them used so i gave up. Maybe I will try again with this and a few others.

Thanks

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
ATC, keep trying on the KOM. Aug 09 in Austin, Kara Marsh is one of my players and she made it. The kids feel so awesome when they get that award and then when the USAT puts them on youtube it's priceless. Good luck and we will probably see you at the US Open.

Latest Discussions