My daughters 1st tournament

hilly1981

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

My 10yr old daughter yesterday competed in her first ever tournament at the (Australia) NSW State Open Championships.

Even though she went down to a more experienced opponent in the arena she gave it her all. The scoreline really was not a true reflection of her effort. The end result was 12-0, however she was taken back very early (a bit shell shocked) and was down 11-0 after the first round. A couple of clean hits were not awarded to her however, and the opponent had a few low kicks awarded for some reason. IMO score should of been about 7-2 at this point.

Anyway with the first round gone, she found some rhythm in the 2nd and lasted about 30 seconds into the 2nd round before conceding a point and losing.

Without a doubt she has taken away some valuable match experience, and is not discouraged by the scoreline at all. In fact she still took away bronze due to only 3 players in her division, but to her its a medal :) I am very proud of her!!

We had a chat about it all afterwards, and she identified the areas she needs to work on, so when she goes around again she will be better for it. It must of been pretty nerve racking for her before going on, and she has the type of personality to jump into anything and try it out.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even though she went down to a more experienced opponent in the arena she gave it her all.

We had a chat about it all afterwards, and she identified the areas she needs to work on, so when she goes around again she will be better for it.

Congratulations on her effort and attitude. What you share is the recipe for a winner:
She did her best despite her nerves, and she looks at the experience as a chance to learn rather than a judgment of whether she's any good. That approach will take her far in whatever she pursues. I hope she had fun too.

Carl

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for her. She and you both have the right attitued and should be on top rather quickly. And congrats on her 1st medal.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whether it is her first tournement or her 100th you as a parent will always feel the same everytime before she gets into that ring. I can tell you even the best fighters have bad days, it is always what you learned and take away from the ring that makes you better. Congrats to your daughter for hanging in there and fighting her best!