First TKD Tournanment

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This past Saturday, 6/28 myself, my wife and three of my daughters participated in our first tournament. It was a small in-house tournament with two other schools. The tournament was held at my school because of the facility size of our school. It was a double elimination, with two 1:30 min rounds, continuous scoring type matches. As a family, we all did pretty good. My youngest(9 yr), took first in her division, My (13 yr) took second in her division, my (19 yr) took first in her division and my wife third in the same division. That was probably best since they would have had to fought each other in the championship bout :). I took second in my division. I discovered I really need to work more on my stamina, even though it has improved quite a bit. I feel I could of won the championship bout if my stamina was better, I had to do a third tie breaker round in my final match. Thank God, all tie breaker rounds were only 1:00 min. Besides being a little sore and discovering brusies in areas I didn't realize I was hit, it was a fun challenge. I was really amazed on my daughters and them not being nervous, since they have never had to be in any type of fight. Both my younger daughters had to fight boys, my 13 yr old fought a boy three ranks her senior in the championship bout which even went into a tie breaker round. I was definately a proud Daddy that day to see all my daughters succeed.

Claire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! That was a great result for you all, no wonder you are proud!

I'm considering entering my first competition in November and found your point on stamina very interesting. Sparring is hard work and I always get tired sparring in class. I have two young children so getting to training 2-3 times a week is an effort in itself and I don't have time to do any additional excercise outside training (other than running after my children of course). It's got me thinking that I really should try harder to make the effort to work more on my stamina. Perhaps skipping ropes that I can use in the garden (?).

Also I've been told that when you enter your first competition your muscles are so tense with nerves that you can hardly kick above knee height even if you can normally kick head height. Did you find that?

OP
C

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also I've been told that when you enter your first competition your muscles are so tense with nerves that you can hardly kick above knee height even if you can normally kick head height. Did you find that?

Claire, I really did not notice my muscles being tense. Nervous, yes, but after you get going, the nerves settle down. Looking at the video of my fight, I could tell I was not using proper breathing techniques, such as in through your nose and out your mouth, which if done right, my stamina may have been a little better. As for my kicks, I was able to get them up above knee height. I was also able to get in a few axe kicks which came to about my opponets shoulders. I would definetly recommend doing a tournament, it's a good way to challenge yourself and see where your at in your art.

Claire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Claire, I really did not notice my muscles being tense. Nervous, yes, but after you get going, the nerves settle down. Looking at the video of my fight, I could tell I was not using proper breathing techniques, such as in through your nose and out your mouth, which if done right, my stamina may have been a little better. As for my kicks, I was able to get them up above knee height. I was also able to get in a few axe kicks which came to about my opponets shoulders. I would definetly recommend doing a tournament, it's a good way to challenge yourself and see where your at in your art.

Thanks for that, it's made me feel much better. It was a worrying thought for me that I might not be able to kick properly due to tense muscles. That was only one persons opinion but he said it happens to everyone. Obviously this isn't true. Thank-you!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations to you all!

Nerves will be with you all through every tournament competition - how your body reacts will be different from person to person.