Son's first Match

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Short clip of my son's first Match at the 2011 Jr. Nationals.

[yt]-PMDQoZQPI4[/yt]

The kid did eventually got up and my son did get a GamJeong (full point deductions - point given to the other kid) But he went on to win this match 14-1.

Oh an no that is not me you hear in the video. I was coaching in another ring.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Beautiful turnover with his hips & great control!!! Andrew, he didn't kick at 100% on the intital kick ;-)

Lee Ch'a

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Whew. That's quite a kick. I get exhausted embarrassingly quickly during sparring; I definitely took some nice kicks to the head. But it was fun- I figure you try your hardest and you learn what you can, right? I do believe I learn more when I'm defeated than when I win. ;)

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do believe I learn more when I'm defeated than when I win. ;)
So true. You can learn from both your wins and losses, but you learn so much more from your losses.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks ATC, great kick! Seeing footage like this always make me have a chuckle when people say tkd is light contact, foot tag etc etc. When you see a kid kick with that much precision it shows just what a tkdist is capable of.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks ATC, great kick! Seeing footage like this always make me have a chuckle when people say tkd is light contact, foot tag etc etc. When you see a kid kick with that much precision it shows just what a tkdist is capable of.
To be fair, sometimes it can Look like foot tag, but at the same time, its mostly armchair experts who think they need to see tremendous recoil in order for something to be full contact.

TKD has alot of penetration power, and tends to be more powerful than it looks. And this is indeed a great example of one of the most basic kicks in TKD being used effectively. By a kid.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be fair, sometimes it can Look like foot tag, but at the same time, its mostly armchair experts who think they need to see tremendous recoil in order for something to be full contact.

TKD has alot of penetration power, and tends to be more powerful than it looks. And this is indeed a great example of one of the most basic kicks in TKD being used effectively. By a kid.
Im no fan of sport tkd, but Im the first to admit it gets a very bad rap. I did karate prior to tkd and the contact in sparring was significantly less. The bottom line is that olympic sparring is full contact, you can kick someone's head off their shoulders if you like and without a hogu you would have broken ribs in no time, this cant be said for many martial arts these days which are becoming less and less in contact.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OOh nice kick!

A Taekwondo kick may look as if it lacks power because of its speed but w/ a combination of power & accuracy that can cause serious damage.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Short clip of my son's first Match at the 2011 Jr. Nationals.

The kid did eventually got up and my son did get a GamJeong (full point deductions - point given to the other kid) But he went on to win this match 14-1.

Oh an no that is not me you hear in the video. I was coaching in another ring.

Am I being daft? What did he get a penalty for?

Great shot though.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

Great shot though.
I may be wrong, but to me, it looked like the kick that took out his opponent was a double kick. If thats the case, its possible that the opponents kick connected first, preventing the connection of the first kick, and then the second kick took him out. At first glance though, it may have looked like it went the other way around.
Other than that, unless it isnt in that clip, i see no fouls either.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
People viewing Olympic Taekwondo need understand the process of our sport versus self-defense of martial arts. The goal is to win by outpointing your opponent, and knockouts occur less than 1% at the elite level.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Great shot though.

I'm not positive, but I think he took a penalty for excessive contact. This is a youth division after all. My guess was that it was to make the kid who got floored (and his parents) feel a little better about the fact that he just got his *** handed to him karate style. So they award him a point for failing spectacularly, he sniffles up, and they continue the match.

I could be wrong, but that was my assumption.

-Rob

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not positive, but I think he took a penalty for excessive contact. This is a youth division after all. My guess was that it was to make the kid who got floored (and his parents) feel a little better about the fact that he just got his *** handed to him karate style. So they award him a point for failing spectacularly, he sniffles up, and they continue the match.

I could be wrong, but that was my assumption.

Ahh, good point. I'm not used to restricted contact for children, so I don't think of excessive contact as being a penalty (is this in the WTF rules or was this competition under an Amended WTF Rules set?).

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the U.S. kids under 14 years of age compete under what is called "Jr. Saftey Rules" Full contact to the body but light contact to the head.

In this match the kid went down for about 45 seconds, then he got up. The medics then looked him over and deemed him good to continue. Yes my son was penalized 1 point for what they call excessive head contact (1 point awarded to his opponent). He has one more year in the light head contact divison and will move up to the full contact division after that.

My son had 4 matches and in all 4 he go penalized for multiple times for what they called excessive contact. The problem is that he was kicking very light compared to how he kicks in the dojang. He is only 12 but spars in the dojang against our adults. There are no kids that he can spar with in his class so he sticks around for adult classes from time to time to spar with them. The only adults in our dojang that he cannot beat are the instructors.

Right before Jr. Nationals he was sparring one of our 17 year old black belts and almost KO'd him. The match looked funny as you had this 5'1" 12 year almost take the head off of this 6'0" 17 year old. We also had him take on one one 18 year old black belt who is pretty good and really fast. He could not hit my son. He came to me after the match and said that it was like sparring a knat. It will be interesting to see him in the 14-17 year old devision in 2013.

Funny thing is that his 13 year old sister hits harder than he does. He just has better technique.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll take better technique any day. He may be hitting too hard for the junior division, but it sounds like he'll be a real beast when he gets to play with the big kids. Just remind him that some day he'll be an old man and he'll be on the receiving end of those beatings from the young bucks. What goes around comes around.

-Rob

Latest Discussions