My Daughter

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I posted a few clips of my son on here so I thought I would post a short clip of me dotter (daughter that is). Small clip of her first match at this past JO's.

Oh yeah she is in blue or the one with the white head gear.

[yt]Q_7SDZdX-do[/yt]

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great shot! Well done to your daughter (and congrats to you as both your children seem excellent!).

I'm so not a fan of the "only light head contact for juniors" rule though (I assume that's why it was stopped at that point rather than the girl being counted as she didn't seem able/willing to immediately continue).

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I posted a few clips of my son on here so I thought I would post a short clip of me dotter (daughter that is). Small clip of her first match at this past JO's.

Oh yeah she is in blue or the one with the white head gear.

[yt]Q_7SDZdX-do[/yt]
What is it with People who dont Bow in :D
I mean, i believe it was your other Kid... The EXACT SAME THING: The Opponent didnt bow in, and deservedly got His, and now Her, Head Kicked.

Either Respect is sorely lacking in some of these people, or your Daughter just has a better understanding of the Art.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice, she has been taught well. I like the slight hip fake. Nice set up for the front leg round house. Always was my favorite.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great shot! Well done to your daughter (and congrats to you as both your children seem excellent!).

I'm so not a fan of the "only light head contact for juniors" rule though (I assume that's why it was stopped at that point rather than the girl being counted as she didn't seem able/willing to immediately continue).
Thanks, yes the girl started crying but the kick was not that hard. She took about 45 seconds to stop crying after the medics looked her over. She continued and finished the match. The final score was 10-3.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is it with People who dont Bow in :D
I mean, i believe it was your other Kid... The EXACT SAME THING: The Opponent didnt bow in, and deservedly got His, and now Her, Head Kicked.

Either Respect is sorely lacking in some of these people, or your Daughter just has a better understanding of the Art.
Our school is big on respect. All kids are taught to always bow to show respect. If they don't they are not allowed to compete. There will never ever be any sign of anger win or lose. Toss your head gear after a match they you think you got cheated in and you are off the team and out of the dojang.

I am not sure what is going on with the no bowing, maybe some kids are just nervous.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very nice, she has been taught well. I like the slight hip fake. Nice set up for the front leg round house. Always was my favorite.
Thanks. She was competing on a broken left foot so she had to use the right leg forward a lot to protect the bad leg. I was suprised that no one caught on to it as she used this move a lot.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school is big on respect. All kids are taught to always bow to show respect. If they don't they are not allowed to compete. There will never ever be any sign of anger win or lose. Toss your head gear after a match they you think you got cheated in and you are off the team and out of the dojang.

I am not sure what is going on with the no bowing, maybe some kids are just nervous.
Thats good - In my mind, whatever you do during the Bout, it isnt that hard to Bow in. Its such a simple sign of Respect, that i often cant believe people dont do it. But some people dont. And it makes no sense to me. But hey, i guess Nerves could be a reason. Or perhaps, just a lack of consideration (As in, it never occured to them, and wasnt hardwired in for some reason).

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
That seemed like a very controlled kick. What was the other girls problem? Was she hurt? Or just upset?

-Rob
To me it seems like more and more kids have never been hit to the head and when it happens they just panic and start crying. I saw some light taps to the head during the coruse of the tournament and many kids balled their eyes out when hit in the head. The girls was not hurt but I think more suprised than anything.

Another thing I see is most kids use this inclose hold the sholder outside inside type kick to go to the head that pushes the head rather than hit the head. Then when someone come up and uses turn kicks to the head there is more of a slap effect that they are not use to so it startles them. This is just my take on it.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nice one. Mind if I ask do you have a yt of the whole match?
Could be a good training/ object lesson for my daughter.

"see you can do it right, bow in with respect then get down to buisness" ;)

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me it seems like more and more kids have never been hit to the head and when it happens they just panic and start crying. I saw some light taps to the head during the coruse of the tournament and many kids balled their eyes out when hit in the head. The girls was not hurt but I think more suprised than anything.

Another thing I see is most kids use this inclose hold the sholder outside inside type kick to go to the head that pushes the head rather than hit the head. Then when someone come up and uses turn kicks to the head there is more of a slap effect that they are not use to so it startles them. This is just my take on it.

Yah that makes sense. I don't have any problem with crying in karate. I'm sure they all learned from it. It just seemed to me like your daughter intentionally didn't hurt the other girl, so I was surprised at her reaction.

This isn't my kind of karate, but your kids seem like they're doing great. You have a lot to be proud of. They are clearly on a different level than their competition. That speaks to training. It must be very exciting to witness their progression in skill.

-Rob

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice one. Mind if I ask do you have a yt of the whole match?
Could be a good training/ object lesson for my daughter.

"see you can do it right, bow in with respect then get down to buisness" ;)
I don't have the entire fight up as I don't want to give to much to the competition. I had an older clip of an entire fight up at one time but YouTube deleted it for some reason. I never got an answer back when I asked why.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yah that makes sense. I don't have any problem with crying in karate. I'm sure they all learned from it. It just seemed to me like your daughter intentionally didn't hurt the other girl, so I was surprised at her reaction.

This isn't my kind of karate, but your kids seem like they're doing great. You have a lot to be proud of. They are clearly on a different level than their competition. That speaks to training. It must be very exciting to witness their progression in skill.

-Rob
Thanks Rob, The sad thing is that my daughter really doesn't like doing TKD. She hates training and now wants to do track and field and volleyball. She will do one more year just to see if she can compete with the 14-17 year olds but doesn't know if she will continue after that. My hopes is that if she wins next year and make the Jr. team and gets to travel abroad she will have a new found love for things.

The problem is that there is a pretty good fighter in her way named Chyenne Lewis. My daughter has looked at all the other girls in the 14-17 division for her weight and dose not see anyone that she thinks she can't beat execpt for Chyenne. She thinks it will be fun to compete againts her but knows it won't be as easy as her 12-13 years.

Both my kids have been doing TKD since 4 years old so I think they are getting a little burnt. There is never an off season, and they are always in training mode.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wonderful kick! Besides being well executed, she moved in and therefore blocked her opponent's kick. That probably impressed me more than anything. Nice if she keeps it up, she seems to have a knack. But if she wants to try something else, and her TKD gets in the way, maybe she needs to take a sabbatical. Better that than to regret all her life that she didn't try.

As to fearing another opponent may be unbeatable, not so. On any given day, anyone can be beat. Good to respect an opponent's ability, but never to consider them unbeatable. But then I bet she already knows that.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
nice kick. I understand thier kids, and I dont mean any disrespect to the other kid, but... the kick wasnt that hard. Looked like good control. What the hell? what do people think, this is a patty-kake game? if you cant handle a controlled kick to the head... WHY ARE YOU COMPETING!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, just a rant i guess. It kills me to see people get kicked and stop the fight and start crying like it shouldnt have happened. I know it hurts and I'm not saying everyone can handle a kick to the head. But it is obvious when someone is crying and stops fighting because they're hurt and crying because they "got startled". And ON A J.O. LEVEL???? ok for local, but J.O. should KNOW what to expect and not be rattled so easily.

wow... I sound like a D***. sorry.

Nice kick. great job!!!!

Last edited:
OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
nice kick. I understand thier kids, and I dont mean any disrespect to the other kid, but... the kick wasnt that hard. Looked like good control. What the hell? what do people think, this is a patty-kake game? if you cant handle a controlled kick to the head... WHY ARE YOU COMPETING!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, just a rant i guess. It kills me to see people get kicked and stop the fight and start crying like it shouldnt have happened. I know it hurts and I'm not saying everyone can handle a kick to the head. But it is obvious when someone is crying and stops fighting because thier hurt and crying because they "got startled". And ON A J.O. LEVEL???? ok for local, but J.O. should KNOW what to expect and not be rattled so easily.

wow... I sound like a D***. sorry.

Nice kick. great job!!!!
Ha ha ha...Thanks, yes I agree on the JO level comment. This is JO's world class, not even grass roots. So yes they need to be prepared.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ATC,

I enjoyed the clip. It was nice to see a young lady act like a young lady. Props to Pops, and to daughter!;)

Latest Discussions