Mutual acknowledgement

rockstream

White Belt
Reaction score
For some years, I worked with Korea Hapkido Federation as a director. During that time, I met lots of respectable martial artists all around the world and also experienced lots of disputes among various martial artists.

There are lots of martial arts, organizations and schools. Each of them, I think, has their own history which is very precious for them.

As long as each martial artist loves and practices their own arts sincerely and seriously, nobody can disparage them because of kinds of martial arts, organizations or schools, I think.

However, in reality, some blames others arts, organizations or schools just because they are different.

I think, even though their ways(Do, Tao) could be different, their goals are same. Some could take longer, harder and less effective ways. But, if they are really sincere and serious in their ways, they should be recognized,too. There are, of course, geniuses. I think they should be respected. But, even though some are not good enough to be proud, they also should be acknowledged by each other as fellow martial artists.

Sungbook Bae
Ulji-Kwan HKD Master

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, I have always thought of different martial arts as different roads to the same place. We're all trying to get there, we just choose different paths, not better or worse, not right or wrong, just different. I think the disputes and misunderstandings are between people, and if the people are of sufficient rank, it filters down through the organization and is adopted by the next generation and so on.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Each school is free to do as they wish, and other schools should (and for the most part, do) respect this to at least a certain degree.

You don't have to agree with a system's methods, nor do you have to particularly like their personnel, but as long as they aren't doing anything to disrupt your organization, then I have no quarrel with them.

It's just like a pot luck supper, where if you don't like a particular dish, then leave it be, and get something else. There's so much to enjoy.

There are always going to be a few bad apples in the bushel, though. Challenges to other dojos of differing systems, insults, mockery, etc., are going to happen to some folks. While I doubt that we're going to see another influential individual the likes of John Keehan / Count Juan Raphael Dante, come along and start up the dojo wars again, there are going to be some folks who think along a similar line.

FuriousGeorge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate this post...its important that in spite of taking different roads we acknowledge and embrace our commonalities.

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate this post...its important that in spite of taking different roads we acknowledge and embrace our commonalities.

I agree - the "open" viewpoint of looking at different arts is very refreshing. The opposite seems to promote an "us versus them" mindset.