Musashi said...

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My editions of Musashi and Sun Tzu are bruised, battered and beaten from continued study - these books are beneficial no matter what your preferred style or choice of weapon.
If you’d like a new copy, is a really nice edition of ‘Art of War’

I asked if they might consider doing a version of ‘Gorin no Sho’ and they said they ‘might’!🙄

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is not a concept unique to swordsmanship. Tennis, golf, baseball, wielding an axe, driving a car or flying a plane etc have this idea that the tool should become an extension of one’s body. It’s called mechanosensory association. I have a friend who is a poor driver (he was late to driving and took 4 attempts to pass his test!) and when being in his passenger seat, you can see he doesn’t ‘anticipate’ gear changes/clutch depression with approaching increasing engine revs etc (I realise this may all be alien to our US cousins) or anticipate important points in driving. He hears the engine struggling a little and then jerkily changes up the gearbox. His car hasn’t permeated his mind/body axis (mechanosensory dissociation).

Mechanosensory association usually comes with active practise and I sometimes wonder if there’s a ‘critical period’ for its deep acquisition.
“Driving a car”! So funny, because a long time ago, my instructor use this example of doing something so naturally that there is little pondering involved.
I do play tennis and my best shots are my most kinetic on the run shots with little time to think.
Good post.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I asked if they might consider doing a version of ‘Gorin no Sho’ and they said they ‘might’!🙄
Kim Taylor Sensei who has practiced HNIR for thirty years had a PDF book on his .com. I see its now published on Amazon.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score

Thank you for the recommendation. It is one I will definitely consider for my collection.

The Ultimate Art of War: A Step-By-Step Guide to Sun Tzu's Teachings by Antony Cumming is a good read 👍👍

Latest Discussions