Motavation

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you do to motivate your students?

Not just the ones who do well in class but especially those who do not do well. The ones who seem to drift off and become uninterested during class.
How do you get then to try harder in the parts of class ,the ones who only half try or only try to do good in the parts of class they enjoy.

Do you use rewards, punishment, incentive programs, or something else?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would tell them not all things martial arts is interesting but some things are if an advanced form is interesting then you have to learn the beginning form first, even if the beginning form isn't interesting

If reward perhaps if significant improvement is made then maybe do something they like? Punishment, if they are not trying pushups and if it happens often tell them to sit out class that day, I don't know what an incentive program is
Best of luck

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I teach a small group of adults (about 10), and quite frankly I don't do anything. I don't do rank below the first instructor rank, so if they won't ever be promoted. It is there responsibility to learn the material, if they don't want to it is their loss. Now it is my job to try to make the practice more interesting, but I can't imagine being a drill sgt and giving out pushups.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No easy answers with motivation. I always have to remind myself that not everyone is in love with training as much as most of us are. Our instructors never had to motivate us. The hardest thing they had to do was to get us to go home.

I don't use punishment, per se, at least not as a motivation tool. I haven't had to use punishment in longer than I can remember. It's easier to motivate in large classes than in small ones. But I haven't seen a large class in years. I'm going to write some notes on this whole mo question. I'll get back to this.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best thing is always positive reinforcement with example of why we need to keep on the right track and what it means to fully learn and develope every aspect of each technique.

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
Might be terrible advice, but id start training their discipline, army style, if you see someone slacking off you give them push ups/sit ups/make em run/skip, then they will stay attentive or better yet rather than push ups give them a martial arts specific drill that will help them improve, then they will be able to "catch up" without you looking like a mean army drill instructor to the parents. But the kids will know slacking off = drill time.

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Might be terrible advice, but id start training their discipline, army style, if you see someone slacking off you give them push ups/sit ups/make em run/skip, then they will stay attentive or better yet rather than push ups give them a martial arts specific drill that will help them improve, then they will be able to "catch up" without you looking like a mean army drill instructor to the parents. But the kids will know slacking off = drill time.

I like the sound of that but a lot, now I personally wouldn't punish anyone for a lack of interest, now if there slacking off like you said they will be down doing pushups, but I don't think I'd do all those things. If the students are acting bad enough to deserve that punishment i think a warning with pushups and next time will have to leave

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot] I believe there are many ways to "motivate" and inspire others. It can also be argued that one person really cannot motivate another, but only create an environment that promotes one to motivate him/herself. In reality to motivate anyone can be difficult, dynamic, and frustrating. To be effective, motivating others takes insight into the individuals goals and patience (time).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are three rather broad categories that motivation strategies fall: fear, incentives, and/or purpose. Fear and incentives are usually short-term "motivators" and providing purpose (or meaningful) is more long-term. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. Motivation Through Fear [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instilling fear in others is simple (and it can quickly motivate some people) but over time, fear can easily breed resentment and disloyalty. The person who is motivated by fear is more likely trying to avoid something rather than achieving something (e.g., losing a position or making a mistake, having to do extra work or physical punishment). This person tends to focused on what not to do, rather than what to do. This can become stressful and lead to a strong sense of resentment and/or disloyalty toward the one instilling the fear.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. Motivation Through Incentives[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Incentives[/FONT][FONT=&quot] too can be effective for the short-term. Dangling the "carrot" (e.g. rank, stripes, trophies, money, accolades, money, etc.) is a strong motivator for many but these extrinsic means usually last but a short time before the "incentives" need be increased or made more appealing. The less appealing the incentive, the less motivation one will generally show. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Motivation Through Purpose[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lastly, developing a strong sense of purpose is usually the most effective for promoting long-term motivation. Creating a sense of purpose and/or meaning is about changing the way one thinks about his/her roles, their reasons for coming to train and practice, their influence on the other students, their membership on the team, and their reasons for continuing to train at the school. Providing purpose and meaning is about creating an environment that is conducive to the individuals personal growth and encouraging them to motivate themselves, as well as inspire their fellow students. Developing purpose and meaning takes a lot more time and energy but it can lead to that long-term motivation for which most instructors are attempting to get.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Get input from your students (and most importantly your student leaders)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - check with them to determine if what you are communicating to them is understood, what they need, and what they want. Encourage your leaders to make suggestions as to how things (e.g., practices and training) might be improved. Also when you are asking for input... at least be willing to incorporate something (a suggestion) at some point. Don&#8217;t just ask for the sake of asking. Be open to trying something new or different.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Keep your students informed as to when, where, how, and why (and WHY is most important)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - people are not generally motivated to start (or finish) an task that is not clear in terms of when, where, how, or why. Take away any questions or doubts that your students may have by clearly and consistently communicating your expectations and intentions. Be clear as to when, where, and how . . . but most important, be sure your students know "why" they are being asked to do something. It isn&#8217;t about you or about you having a good time; it&#8217;s about the student understanding what they are learning/practicing and how it meets the student&#8217;s goals. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Create an environment that allows for challenge, recognition, appreciation, and quality[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - some will be motivated by a challenge, some by recognition, some by appreciation, and some by quality of performance. It is important to know your students and what is &#8216;their&#8217; primary motive might be. Challenge some, recognize others in front of their teammates, appreciate others in private, and provide others with a chance to show you a quality performance (quality over quantity of work). Different people are motivated by different situations and feedback. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Give your students a desire to want to work hard[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - take the time to develop genuine, honest, caring, and trusting relationships with your students. People will work harder (and longer) for someone they know genuinely believes in them, cares about them, and is committed to helping them achieve their potential. At the heart of motivation . . . is the quality of the instructor-student relationship. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Be a Model of what you want to see[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - be motivated yourself. If you want someone to work hard, you better be working hard. If you want someone to put in extra time, you better be putting in extra time. Students do what they see. This is why the motivation of the staff is so important and why it is important to have quality team leaders who lead by example, hold accountable, and promote a climate of excitement and inspiration. Set the "standard" by what you do, say, and expect. Say it, expect it, but also make sure you do it! [/FONT]

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night i had to talk with another instructor in the next town while my kids class began. I arrived back at the practice hall to see one of the instructors leading an excersise and the class participating. When the instructor stopped and started talking about what they where going to do next one of the students just started spinning in small circles looking at the ceiling . This continued until I steped onto the floor and told the class to do pushups . I had to physicaly hold that students belt and make him do the pushups correctly ( he wanted to lay on the floor and not do them). I explained to him he was the reason the class was doing pushups and I expected him to do them correctly.
After the push ups I told the class that they where not there for play time and that the instructors where giving up their time from family to instruct. I informed them if they did not wish to listen and participate then they could stay home and not interrupt those who wanted to learn.
Now If this had been the first time a problem like this happened in class I might have not been so upset but this happens every class with this one child ( he is 10) and there are a couple others that act up off and on ( depending on when they got their meds).
I started this thread to see if I could get ideas on how to motivate these kids to pay attention and take class seriously.
We teach for free and some of the kids want to learn others only want to do that which they want to do and disrupt the class any other time. I am tired of the instructors having to speak to these kids all the time.
On another part of this week after week we have been trying to get the class to do Tae Kae Okou drill (sp)and no one has it yet. We have been doing this for 6 mounths and not a single kid can no it in class. WTF. I only know so many ways to teach this form and if the class is ever going to learn anything else I am determined they will learn it. So other than my going to each of their houses and making them practice the form till they lean it any ideas.
OK rant over

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
by the way . I will not teach a kids class myself unless they are well disciplined and want to learn. I do not have the patience anymore to put up with disciplining kids when parents have not taken the time to teach them any respect or discipline. Some things should start at home

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
And you shouldn't have to, a ten year old should be old enough to know how to act serious and respective, also know martial arts isn't of playful fun and games. If a student acts serious and puts in the effort they can only improve, but if they don't do those things then it's just wasting time. A lot of kids around 10 like action; something you might see in a Bruce Lee or karate kid movie when a good percentage of kids join martial arts i could imagine they were thinking they might be doing something similar to what is in the movies. But realistically not all real self defense is interesting but it wasn't meant to be interesting, it can be interesting i sure think it is but whether someone finds it interesting or notice if they plan on learning it must be taken seriously

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seriously been thinking of taking the whole class to a training facility about 20 miles away and make them sit in the balcony and watch a well disciplined school

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't do that with my students if they ever messed around or didn't pay attention. The adults are mostly military and if the children did that I'd assume I was teaching badly and change what I was doing so that they were engaged.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that with my students if they ever messed around or didn't pay attention. The adults are mostly military and if the children did that I'd assume I was teaching badly and change what I was doing so that they were engaged.

One of my kajukenbo instructors switched from being the friendly sensei to being the hardass drill instructor, and the parents loved it. One of the parents wanted to give him permission to spank the kid he had enrolled in the class. My instructor politely declined. :D

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score

Fair enough, maybe you need to do both, make it as fun as possible but its always gonna take some kind of sacrifice where u have to do something hard and repetitive to get to what you want, and thats where discipline needs to fill the gap. I think we are both right.

Latest Discussions