Most Popular Style of Kung Fu?

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Sanxiawuyi

Chiduce,

Furthermore, when I was doing research into kenpo, I contacted Mr. Durbin and we exchanged many letters, inormation, etc., I gave him valuable research, including telling him about The Bugei Ryuha Daijiten (which he had no idea) written by Watatani Kiyoshi and Yamada Tadashi that list all the ryu of Japan, dating of Ryuha, and also sharing other sources. He later wrote about these things and gave me NO mention or credit!

Oddly enough Durbin had Bushi Matsumura's letter to his student on his website (don't know if it is still there) and it was word for word exactly the same as the one I found in Mark Bishop's book.

He denied that he had copied it word for word...........but there it was in black and white.

Maybe they just wrote it at the same time and had exactly the same writing styles and word choice.

Chiduce,

You commented on why I have this on website:

(RyuTe® and the RyuTe Kyusho Jitsu/Tuite Jitsu design are federally registered Trademarks of Oyata Enterprises and it's licensed agents. Unauthorized use is prohibited under the Lanham Act and 15 U.S.C. Section 1051 of United States Trademark Law)
By Clicking ENTER HERE you agree that you understand the above statement and will not copy or use any of the Copyrighted material in this website.

Because as you have unintentionally pointed out to us there are people that have no regard for Copyrighted material.

Y

yentao

I practiced Ngo Cho Kun yes its like karate but the most of the fists forms are different.

Y

yentao

Only sam chien is the most basic proof but most of the other kun-to are different. Ngo Cho Kun has a different punch as well.

Y

yentao

ok usually this way of punching is unfamiliar with other lineages but beng kiam still uses this principle. This hard to explain... But I'll try, hope you get this... in Ngo Cho Kun we use a principle in punching where our fist will clench only and angles in 45 degree upon landing (about 1 inch in distance) resulting to a lethal hit. Karate don't use the same principle especially the angle of the fist... Only lineages who came from the "Ten Tigers" usually use the principles. The Ten Tigers are the best students of Chua Giok Beng the founder of Ngo Cho Kun.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think popularity of a Kung Fu system is relative, because I think Wushu would be the most "well known" but then most people who would say they know about wushu wouldn't really know what it was about anyway, so I guess my vote would be modern wushu or "shoalin". Although to get on my own soapbox for a second, I hate generalizing so many systems with the word shaolin, but the general populace knows them as shaolin.
We teach Tai Chi at my school and I'm amazed at the amount of people who come in never having heard of Tai chi at all.

7sm

C

chinkoobake

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Islam is primarily a pacificst religion (not that popular politics and world news would ever lead you to that conclusion based on those sources alone

...or based on reality...

S

Senfeng

I recently watched/listened to the Donnie Yen commentary on his TV series "Kung Fu Master" as was reminded that many of us became interested in the martial arts because of different types of media; whether it be movies, tv, or novels. Myself, I was and still am a huge Bruce Lee fan. Later, I became a fan of Jet Li and in tern, a fan the Chinese novels (Jin Yong in particular) prevelent in many of his movies and also the historical characters he played.

Anyways, just as Bruce Lee made JKD and Wing Chun popular in my early days (and as Hung Gar was popular to my 'Shaw Brother' viewing uncles in their day), I think that icons such as Jet Li and Donnie Yen have made modern Wushu one of the more popular martial arts in the states.

T

Taiji fan

you might even find that Taijiquan is actually the most widely practised 'gong fu' world wide...even if half of the people doing it don't realise what it is...:rofl: :asian:

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current (Feb. 2004) issue of Kung Fu-Tai Chi Magazine has an article on Six Elbows Kung Fu, apparently a very rare style. Apparently Tai Hui is an even rarer style (if I understand the site correctly).

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Taiji fan: you might even find that Taijiquan is actually the most widely practised 'gong fu' world wide...even if half of the people doing it don't realise what it is...

.. and the other half may be too darn pompous to live in the wu-wei...