most important self-defense idea

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
While I agree that Awareness is among the top five I'd would think that sending them home with the self-confidence that says: "They don't have to be a victim anymore."

Good segue ... I think Awareness involves education and the fostering of self-esteem, amongst other things.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since awareness has been overwhelmingly voted on, I will skip to number two on my list:

The key to self-defense is IVR:

Immediate
Violent
Response

Don't get grabbed... but if you do, keep on fighing!

My two cents

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Awareness. They should always be aware of their surroundings and the goings on.

^^^^^^ Yep. Potentially saved my partner and I the other day.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me add to the Awareness vote...

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I will add stike Hard-fast & true,Dont think or try to remember a techniquice.If you try you will delay responce.Empty the mind-Strike & let it flow like a baby rattler.It stikes true & fast & keeps dumping venom.Were as an elder strikes & recoils for the next.So in short.Hit-hit hard,fast & true.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awareness is probably number one.

Number two is the concept that you can do something.

Most of the techniques taught in a Self-defence course are based on this idea... they are giving options. Will you remember the exact technique under pressure, 2 years after learning it? Probably not. But exploration of a few of the possibilities reminds you that you can do something rather than simply being a compliant victim. Your choices can determine the outcome of the encounter (for good or bad).

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only thing is ... AWARENESS ... and willingness to act decisively. After that ... nothing ... except running away, kicking, punching, grappling, head butting, biting, stabbing and shooting. I think that should do it ... oh yeah, situational awareness.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Know your surrounding and trust your instinct. They go hand and hand. You cannot do one effectively without the other. Self Value is what makes the other two happen. If someone has no self value, then telling them the other two is a moot point.