most important self-defense idea

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
sort of an informal poll:

you're giving a self-defense workshop. you can guarantee that all students will take home and use, effectively, one - and only one - idea.

what idea do you want them to take home?

let's simplify it and say all the students are adults, relatively able, and untrained. what one idea is the most important idea for them to take away from the workshop?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Awareness. They should always be aware of their surroundings and the goings on.

Ditto! That is the single most importand self-defence principal out there - situational awareness.

I'd add: acting on your awareness as well and trusting your instincts regarding what you become aware of.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Another to add to the list of one idea to take home. "TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS" ... if something does not feel right? ....react to it...Aloha

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like the army drilled into me, stay alert, stay alive. Awareness is def the most important thing in SD.

Jeff

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too, am going with the majority...Awareness!!!

Mike

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that awareness is number one. A close second, IMO, is mindset i.e. the willingness to act instantly and decisively when it's necessary.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say the most important thing is that they know that they have the right to exist, the right and responsability to be safe, and that no one has the right to take that away from them. Understanding this simple yet important concept is where self-defense begins, and therefore is the highest priority (if I had to pick one thing) in my opinion.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awareness is probaly the most important SD out there knowing your surrounding is a close second.
Terry

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ability - Everyone, regardless of size or shape has the ability to defend themselves effectively. This to me is just as important than awareness. We all have the ability to be aware of their surroundings, and aware of possible dangers and how to avoid them, but how many beleive that there is something they can do. Ability can be a wide spectrum between being able to be aware of a possible situation, to having the ability to do the right thing. From running away and avoiding the situation, to dealing head on with a confrontation. I beleive it is of the utmost importance to instill into the student the confidence in their ability to make the right decision when facing a possible confrontation. Give 'em confidence, and the right decisions come easier. Just my 2 cents.

Franco

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Positive mental attitude.

Awareness is great and useful, but a postive mental attitude with help them for not just times of defense but all the time.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Natural awareness. It is the #1 rule in self-defense.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Avoidance... which goes along with awarness. The best defense is not to have to defend yourself in the first place.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While I agree that Awareness is among the top five I'd would think that sending them home with the self-confidence that says: "They don't have to be a victim anymore."

Latest Discussions