Why is it that you good a sparring so your automaticly a good fighter?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing that annoys me is that, in my TKD class and other MA that spar with gloves and all the padding, that if they are good at sparring then they automaticly think they are good at self defence and fighting. I dont like using gloves or padding and find using bare knuckles or wrap gloves is easier and I fight better that way. Its especially annoying in tournaments if you get beaten and the other person's boasting about it, and all Im thinking is take your pain relieving padding off and fight me now you ****. This could be why Bruce Lee never fought in tournaments. I guess I just like Wing Chun because of the conditioning and that fact if you get hit then you get hit and you learn quickly from the pain you recieve.

Regards

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I personally know alot of great sparrers but they would not be anything in a real fight. That is why we have the real MA'ers and the Tournament MA'ers. Tournaments are great for what they are meant to be (control envirement). Making sure you fight on an even ground to start with. Real fights no control envirement all goes they strong will survive the weak gets hurt really bad.GOD BLESS AMERICA

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tornaments teach you how to deal with adrenaline rush, timing, angles and how to try to apply a strategy when under fire. There are major downfalls to be honest, it is hard to recreate real combat without maiming your partner!

IMHO Bruce lee never attended tournaments due to 1.)Ego 2.) Lack of experience/training

Todd

M

markulous

Bruce never fought in tournaments for the simple reason that it wasn't real fighting. He could adapt to their rules if he wanted and probably whoop anyone, but that would't prove anything.

I went to one tournament and I can say pretty confidently that I won't ever participate in another one because it's not real fighting.

We wear protective gear. More on the newers guys though. When I spar with my sifu I wear just gloves(unless we are doing strictly boxing then I put on headgear). But we don't spar like we were training for a tournament we spar almost like we were gonna go in UFC(except with a little less rules). Unless both guys are experienced I think it is almost a must on some protective gear(but it depends how you spar too).

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well I personally know alot of great sparrers but they would not be anything in a real fight. That is why we have the real MA'ers and the Tournament MA'ers. Tournaments are great for what they are meant to be (control envirement). Making sure you fight on an even ground to start with. Real fights no control envirement all goes they strong will survive the weak gets hurt really bad.GOD BLESS AMERICA
I agree with the idea of distinction of 'goals and training' but I wouldn't say that tourney martial artists aren't 'real MArtists' and everyone else are.

I would say that they train for a type of application and that they do that with an understanding of the factors (rules, terrain, time, 'winning'...) just like any one else should be doing.

The problem is when people get dillusional and think that tourney fighting is the end all be all of Self Defense or 'real' fighting (though I would say that a boxer's punch in a full contact tourney would feel pretty 'real' too :)). Even in UFC/'No Rules' types of tourney fighting events, it doesn't really address the other factors of a 'real fight.'

It really isn't fair to say 'better/best' in this type of discussion so much as 'context preparation.' If I fought in a tourney (Point or full contact or anywhere in between) chances are I would lose or get disqualified because I didn't have strategies,drills and such that prepared me to fight 'best' within the context. Vice Versa for a tourney fighter on the street - they are not prepared if they don't understand tactical decisions in the street environment or the proper/legal use of force in the context.

MA is a tool, what you are preparing to do creates the context that you are going to use that tool in.

A good sparrer does not automatically make a good fighter.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
One thing that annoys me is that, in my TKD class and other MA that spar with gloves and all the padding, that if they are good at sparring then they automaticly think they are good at self defence and fighting. I dont like using gloves or padding and find using bare knuckles or wrap gloves is easier and I fight better that way. Its especially annoying in tournaments if you get beaten and the other person's boasting about it, and all Im thinking is take your pain relieving padding off and fight me now you ****. This could be why Bruce Lee never fought in tournaments.

Bruce tended to wear boxing gloves while sparring...

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to spar at tournaments annd int he Dojo, but with the minimal padding. (Cup, Gloves, Mouth piece) And I don't like it being punchy kicky like in most TKD Tournaments. I still go to the punchy kicky ones so I can beat them at there own game. Tak eme out of my usual surroundings and way of fighting and adapt.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I agree with the idea of distinction of 'goals and training' but I wouldn't say that tourney martial artists aren't 'real MArtists' and everyone else are.

I would say that they train for a type of application and that they do that with an understanding of the factors (rules, terrain, time, 'winning'...) just like any one else should be doing.

The problem is when people get dillusional and think that tourney fighting is the end all be all of Self Defense or 'real' fighting (though I would say that a boxer's punch in a full contact tourney would feel pretty 'real' too :)). Even in UFC/'No Rules' types of tourney fighting events, it doesn't really address the other factors of a 'real fight.'

It really isn't fair to say 'better/best' in this type of discussion so much as 'context preparation.' If I fought in a tourney (Point or full contact or anywhere in between) chances are I would lose or get disqualified because I didn't have strategies,drills and such that prepared me to fight 'best' within the context. Vice Versa for a tourney fighter on the street - they are not prepared if they don't understand tactical decisions in the street environment or the proper/legal use of force in the context.

MA is a tool, what you are preparing to do creates the context that you are going to use that tool in.
Well said I agree and sorry about the bunching of tourney fighters. My Humble Apology's

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
if u wanna test there True skill wait till after the tournament...LOL J/K

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sin said:
if u wanna test there True skill wait till after the tournament...LOL J/K
Oh...you mean the 'war stories' that grow from the actual events when it starts as a 'scratch' that you shrug off in front of the competition so you don't appear weak

but (later at the after party/bar/trip home)

becomes this dramatic torturous struggle to overcome and of course eventually 'win the fight (no longer a match or competition now it is FIGHT)'

Yes the story telling aspect of martial arts culture is a 'skill' :).

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but seriously when your in the ring things seem more dramatic.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Yes the story telling aspect of martial arts culture is a 'skill' :).
Ah yes, the fabled art of Trashtalk-itsu. Once of the most powerful arts known to man!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
IMHO Bruce lee never attended tournaments due to 1.)Ego 2.) Lack of experience/training
Todd
It's not that big a deal to me, but in all honesty...
Mr. Lee fought constantly. His classes were a little drilling and then mostly sparring.
Just a side note, now back to your regularly scheduled posting/replying.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
8253 said:
A good sparrer does not automatically make a good fighter.
Very very true.
One does not equal the other. BUT a good ring fighter can be a good street fighter Despite his ring fighting.
Just MHO...

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions