More criminals getting choked out by triangles.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ironically, the Japanese Judoka who created the triangle said that it wasn't good for self defense purposes because someone could bite down on the groin while being choked.

I guess they didn't count on women using it. ;)

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ironically, the Japanese Judoka who created the triangle said that it wasn't good for self defense purposes because someone could bite down on the groin while being choked.

I have a hard time understanding how that could be possible even in a non-reverse triangle, considering the placement of the inside arm. And even when setting it up, before you get the arm across, the groin is still seems generally quite well protected because of the distance between his jaw and your groin, and his lack of manouverability as long as you controll his posture.

fwmxwo.png

Edit:
Just curious, who is the judoka that is supposedly credited with the creation of the the sankaku-jime? I have seen it illustrated in several old judo books, but I have never seen it credited to a single individual.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding how that could be possible even in a non-reverse triangle, considering the placement of the inside arm. And even when setting it up, before you get the arm across, the groin is still seems generally quite well protected because of the distance between his jaw and your groin, and his lack of manouverability as long as you controll his posture.

fwmxwo.png

Edit:
Just curious, who is the judoka that is supposedly credited with the creation of the the sankaku-jime? I have seen it illustrated in several old judo books, but I have never seen it credited to a single individual.

Two individuals actually; Tsunetane Oda and Kanemitsu Yachibei Hyoe in the early 20th century.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting thing happened today at work a deputy was trying to make an arrest in an apartment. This deputy is a very good officer and also a brown belt inBJJ. He got attacked by the family as he was trying to make,the arrest. He was able to hit his emergency button on his radio before it was taken from him and thrown across the room. I just happened to be around the corner and got there very quickly. I run in he's got 1 person in a triangle and another guy in a modified a rear naked choke. He was using their bodies to block the blows from the other family members. Lucky for him we got there fast and the other attackers were older woman and young kids. But as I think now,that it's,over and everyone is ok it was funny to walk in and see him in the middle of the floor with bodies in top of him flailing around and pretty impressive he was able to keep control of two people at the same time for a short period of time

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting thing happened today at work a deputy was trying to make an arrest in an apartment. This deputy is a very good officer and also a brown belt inBJJ. He got attacked by the family as he was trying to make,the arrest. He was able to hit his emergency button on his radio before it was taken from him and thrown across the room. I just happened to be around the corner and got there very quickly. I run in he's got 1 person in a triangle and another guy in a modified a rear naked choke. He was using their bodies to block the blows from the other family members. Lucky for him we got there fast and the other attackers were older woman and young kids. But as I think now,that it's,over and everyone is ok it was funny to walk in and see him in the middle of the floor with bodies in top of him flailing around and pretty impressive he was able to keep control of two people at the same time for a short period of time

I once had a guy in a knee ride ankle lock. Cop has come in and thrown the handcuffs on me. And I am like dude what have I done wrong?

The answer was I had done nothing. He just couldn't figure out whose arm belonged to who.

Fights are funny that way sometimes.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I once had a guy in a knee ride ankle lock. Cop has come in and thrown the handcuffs on me. And I am like dude what have I done wrong?

The answer was I had done nothing. He just couldn't figure out whose arm belonged to who.

Fights are funny that way sometimes.
Yeah once there is a pile of bodies it can be hard to pick out the right arm or leg.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I guess they didn't count on women using it. ;)

Two things.

1. From conversations with women, I don't think either gender is a fan of bites to their groin. :(

2. Not a fan of triangles from guard etc, but rear triangles are one of my favorite ground chokes for self-defense, because it's so easy to get up from, assuming you have reasonably strong legs. (I mean, I suck at doing them, but conceptually, I'm a fan!

(Ha, when I was a teenager, a couple friends and I were big fans of, from stand-up, vaulting onto the other guys shoulders, triangling, and then using your weight to topple the other guy. Because THAT's sure a high-percentage technique, necessary in every Womens' S.D. course... We called it the "Totem Pole" for obvious reasons!)

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two things.

1. From conversations with women, I don't think either gender is a fan of bites to their groin. :(

2. Not a fan of triangles from guard etc, but rear triangles are one of my favorite ground chokes for self-defense, because it's so easy to get up from, assuming you have reasonably strong legs. (I mean, I suck at doing them, but conceptually, I'm a fan!

(Ha, when I was a teenager, a couple friends and I were big fans of, from stand-up, vaulting onto the other guys shoulders, triangling, and then using your weight to topple the other guy. Because THAT's sure a high-percentage technique, necessary in every Womens' S.D. course... We called it the "Totem Pole" for obvious reasons!)

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Nice! Although, what we were doing wasn't a flying triangle. Being lightweight teens, we were actually jumping up, usually off a mid-level kick, sitting up on the other guys shoulders, like shoulder-piggy-back, and then flopping over backwards, pulling him over backwards.

Flying triangle is probably about 20 times more effective, higher percentage of success!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know this has nothing what-so-ever to do with the thread.....other than the same language, a criminal element and a fighting technique. But I didn't know where else to put it. Future Soccer Mom I guess.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two things.

If you're having trouble hitting triangles from guard, try Ryan Hall's stomp and curl method. I think you can find it on YT. Changed my guard game for the better, and made my triangles a potent weapon.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will have to second taking a look at the Stomp and Curl Method developed by Ryan Hall. While I do not use it all the time it has worked for me as well.

Jaysonrd

White Belt
Reaction score

Glad to hear he is ok and wasn't injured. Great way of using the their bodies as shields. This isn't of an officer using a triangle, but this officer does a good job of controlling this protestor on Hwy 70 near my house here in the St. Louis area.

Jermaine Andre Response To Officer Slamming - Attack Back Self Defense | Facebook

I think the protestor got off easy on this one.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you're having trouble hitting triangles from guard, try Ryan Hall's stomp and curl method. I think you can find it on YT. Changed my guard game for the better, and made my triangles a potent weapon.

Great video, thanks!

I meant more that I like being more mobile and vertical, and that triangles from guard are more difficult to get back on your feet from in a split second, when compared to reverse triangles. Just my own personal preference, though...

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great video, thanks!

I meant more that I like being more mobile and vertical, and that triangles from guard are more difficult to get back on your feet from in a split second, when compared to reverse triangles. Just my own personal preference, though...

Understood. I personally prefer the classic triangle because you can attack the arm if the choke fails. My avatar is an example of what I'm talking about.

That said, I can understand why some would view that as a vulnerable position.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Understood. I personally prefer the classic triangle because you can attack the arm if the choke fails. My avatar is an example of what I'm talking about.

That said, I can understand why some would view that as a vulnerable position.

Definitely. Again, if you've already developed areas of expertise, it's nearly always in your best interests to utilize them.

Latest Discussions