Century BOB

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I was recently able to acquire a Century BOB I thought I would share my experience.

I have wanted one for a while in order that I can practice SD at home, as it is not something we cover in MA class. It has been not only extremely useful, but also very interesting training with BOB.

I had always assumed that if I had to use pre-emptive strikes for SD my target of choice would be the carotid sinus. The reason I wanted a BOB was so that I could practice hitting this area with full power, something you obviously cannot do with a training partner. This, at least initially, was what I did and after becoming comfortable with this I decide to adjust BOB to make him taller. It was once I did this that things changed

Being only 165cm tall, once I adjusted BOB to 177cm (rough average male height) and then again to 182cm, things changed dramatically. It became clear that is was not practical for me, being so short, to hit this target on people average height or taller. The reason being that rather than just striking out, I now have to strike out and up, meaning I have to get a hell of a lot closer to the target, especially when BOB is 182cm tall.

On the up side, making BOB taller means the solar plexus presents itself nicely, and so after a few weeks of playing this has now become my ‘go to’ pre-emptive strike.

Now the point is not to debate strikes, as everyone will find what they are comfortable with and everyone is different, the point is just that being able to practice a with a more realistic target (especially one who is height adjustable) has changed my thinking completely, and better to find this out in practice than a live situation :)

I know some people think they are just a gimmick, but from my own experience, as you can see, I would recommend training with a BOB or a Terry Torso if you get chance.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strikes to the carotid sinus shouldn't be full power anyway... That actually makes them less effective.

I do like BOB though. It's very helpful to have anatomic targets.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strikes to the carotid sinus shouldn't be full power anyway... That actually makes them less effective.

I do like BOB though. It's very helpful to have anatomic targets.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

You have my interest. Do you have any biological science to show that this area should not be struck full force, as you say?
If you don't we don't need to continue. I am not looking to argue but rather I am looking for the scientific or medical data.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your goal in striking a nerve bundle is to cause it to fire. The keys is precision, not power. Striking too hard can prevent the nerves from firing.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have two BOB XL's in our gym but for some reason we never train on them, I sneak in a few shots (as do other students) before or after class. I would like to have one some day for more realistic strikes and chokes as you suggest. I see they have a Versys VS. BOB for sale now that looks interesting.

I wonder sometimes how height and also weight and build translate into "best target"? I mean what if they are 192cm and 116 kg? What my instructors seem to say is to have a few different good tools in your kit - cause you never know what will work or not on an opponent.

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love my Bob. The first things I invested in when I began training were a quality mouth guard and a Bob.

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I also like to sometimes change Bob's height and see how well I can still pull of a certain technique or combination. I am of average size, and this kind of training makes me consider ways to deal with a taller opponent.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not a huge fan. I like to get close when I hit people, but Bobs fall down if you even so much as look at them, close range. :(

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can attest to the sturdiness of BOB. I have two that I use to have at my school. All my students used BOB extensively with punches, strikes, kicks etc. BOB was knocked all around the place. They've been in my backyard now since 2004 through rain, full sun, heat, cold and wind and still function like the day I bought them. And they still get beat around by my students.

Can't ask for better.

OP
P

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your goal in striking a nerve bundle is to cause it to fire. The keys is precision, not power. Striking too hard can prevent the nerves from firing.
I haven;t heard that before, but interesting to know, thanks.

BTW, my BOB now has a hoodie and a baseball cap, to make him look more like a Chav :)

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Not to sidetrack too much, but I don't suppose you could, in laymans' terms give us a brief explanation of how and why it works that way?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to sidetrack too much, but I don't suppose you could, in laymans' terms give us a brief explanation of how and why it works that way?

I don't know that anybody has done Real Science on this. What I suspect happens is this.
We are trying to induce a cluster of nerves to fire by manually stimulating them. Not exactly the normal mechanism. When we strike too hard, it may be that the damage to the surrounding tissues, which triggers normal neuron reactions (like making you say "damn, that hurts!"), overrides the abnormal trigger.
I'm sure you've smacked your funny bone a time or two. Have you ever noticed that's it's not the super hard impacts that make you grab your elbow and say Bad Words? The high power impacts can still hurt, but the result of the impact is definitely not the same as what we are looking for in pressure point strikes.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Huh. Cool. This is why it's great to have medical professionals here.

Although, regarding the funny bone bit, I was actually just thinking that the absolute worst funny bone pain I've ever experienced came from the very end of a nunchuku, swung at full force. I was only about 12 or so, but that's the only time pain has on it's own literally "brought me to my knees." It was probably over a year after that that my elbow would still fire off burning hot jabs at the slightest impact.

I guess neurology is just weird...

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know that anybody has done Real Science on this. What I suspect happens is this.
We are trying to induce a cluster of nerves to fire by manually stimulating them. Not exactly the normal mechanism. When we strike too hard, it may be that the damage to the surrounding tissues, which triggers normal neuron reactions (like making you say "damn, that hurts!"), overrides the abnormal trigger.
I'm sure you've smacked your funny bone a time or two. Have you ever noticed that's it's not the super hard impacts that make you grab your elbow and say Bad Words? The high power impacts can still hurt, but the result of the impact is definitely not the same as what we are looking for in pressure .

Just for the record I still disagree. But this is not the thread for it.

If your Bob is falling over and it's filled with water or sand like it should be, you should be hitting the heavy bag instead. That's not what a Bob is for.

Anuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am not a huge fan. I like to get close when I hit people, but Bobs fall down if you even so much as look at them, close range. :(

The BOB we have in class has legs (3 so it doesn't fall down) and arms. You can practice leg and groin kicks on it and the arms are outstretched in somewhat of a fighting pose, so you can practice getting inside.

K50Marine

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a BOB in my garage and use it all the time! I filled the base with sand. I practice kenpo and many techniques can be practiced on the BOB (hand swords, ridge hands, chokes, finger techniques,etc.). I also put an old military BDU top on my BOB and practice collar chokes and grabs. BOB likes it when you hit him too!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The BOB we have in class has legs (3 so it doesn't fall down) and arms. You can practice leg and groin kicks on it and the arms are outstretched in somewhat of a fighting pose, so you can practice getting inside.

I haven't seen the version with arms and legs and haven't been able to find it on the web, do you know where I could find one of these?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try this....

getDynamicImage.aspx

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks DD. I think I might like one of those . So if anyone out there was having trouble figuring out what to get me for Christmas… There you go