Why does Judo no longer teach these choke holds?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you could type slowly to help me understand, how is a choke that is not dependent on the use of a gi, more difficult to apply when wearing a gi?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought about the assertion and I kind of agree with it. With no-gi, you don't have this giant collar both in the way and helping absorb sweat. I find it's usually easier to get ahold of that collar and just go for a bow and arrow choke when in the gi. In no-gi, your hand can slip right in easier from the side. It's small nuances.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bjj comes from Judo, and modern Judoka are cross training in Bjj to recoup some of their losses from the watering down of Judo after WW2. Thus, you're going to be seeing the same chokes in both systems with minor variations depending on the goals of the club/gym/dojo.

The beautiful thing is how well both styles compliment each other. It's like twin sisters seeing each other again after decades being away from each other. Before my injury, I was actively incorporating Judo sacrifice throws into my game.

Loved it! :vamp:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bjj comes from Judo, and modern Judoka are cross training in Bjj to recoup some of their losses from the watering down of Judo after WW2. Thus, you're going to be seeing the same chokes in both systems with minor variations depending on the goals of the club/gym/dojo.

Some are-as far as chokes go, though, most don't have to.

The problem with most BJJ schools, of course, aside from the frequent lack of judo throws, is their revisionist history and false sense of superiority.

Basically....:rolleyes:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some are-as far as chokes go, though, most don't have to.

The problem with most BJJ schools, of course, aside from the frequent lack of judo throws, is their revisionist history and false sense of superiority.

Basically....:rolleyes:

Which is far less concerning than the problems of Judo which is the complete deletion of techniques and strategies in order to fit a competition ruleset. ;)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is far less concerning than the problems of Judo which is the complete deletion of techniques and strategies in order to fit a competition ruleset. ;)
I dunno.....some of us don't compete.

gracie barra gi.jpg

meanwhile, though :rolleyes:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You win. I can't argue against the stupidity coming out of Gracie Barra. :arghh: