Moderators

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The mentor thing came about while I was on, umm, vacation...What's the mentor position/responsibilities?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No One BUYS a mod spot. They earn it.
They Earn it by being a positive supportive member of this site.
They earn it by being a leader on our forums.

Not by asking for it, whining about not having it, or sending me huge wads of cash.
(For the record, I've turned down thousands in advertising and investments over the last few years where it would have compromised the principles this site is founded upon.)

What we look for is here: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12457
We look for people who have made a commitment to MartialTalk.

Anyone has the potential to be asked.
They just have to earn it.
It's not for sale, at ANY price.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
The mentor thing came about while I was on, umm, vacation...What's the mentor position/responsibilities?
Mentors are non-staff positions.
They are:
- Supporting Members
- Active posters
- A positive influence on MT

We ask that they keep their eyes open for possible problems and report them if they see em, welcome and guide the new members and keep being an active and positive influence on the site as a whole.

(I think thats most of it...theres a short list somewhere I can't recall at the moment)

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
And I would further add, MichiganTKD, in response to your reputation comment, I did not buy a moderator position on Martial Talk. Bob will confirm that.

Speaking of reputation, yours speaks for itself.

I greatly enjoy your posts, and I became a supporting member after reading one of your membership drive threads.

Thank you, for being you.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rutherford, thank you very much. Bob has been kind to me given my financial position. I honestly think he and the rest of the staff strive to be fair (sometimes achingly so) and different from the rest, which is why I revisit so often and volunteer my time.

Thanks for becoming a supporting member! :asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Who knows. Someday.....

Nahh, they couldn't handle it:ultracool

You are correct, we could not handle it. As stated before, we look for leaders who contribute positively and try to promote friendly discussions.

As to buying a position on this staff, I take offense to such statments, but the rules and guidelines prohibit me from making the statments I would like to say to such dribble. So the only thing I can do is Laugh at this stupid comment. :lol:

As to represntation, of TKD, we have offered the position of Mentor and Moderator to some of the TKD members, but they have turned us down do to time and or personal contraints. We respect that, as this is a volunteer staff, and do not wish to make it too painful a job for our volunteers.

So, before you make comments you know nothing or little about I think you should just sit back and think about such repsonses first.

(* My Apologies to the rest of this site, but I take exception to such comments, and use the report to moderator function if you think this post is out of line. *)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD,

Just an FYI, I and the staff can review those who give them negative reputation. So go ahead and continue. I find it amusing, that you will not sign your comments. You afraid that people might call you on them?

:rolleyes: :uhyeah: :lol: :rofl:

Some people make me laugh.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed. I signed mine, MTKD, but not you yours. And your rep was on a completely irrelevant post according to your comment - I wonder if that's an abuse of the rep system?

Nevertheless, please continue ... this is revealing.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on guy's like you say you are mentors and Mods. and I believe you to be far a good portion of the time, but as far as MichTKD he is a little out spoken and give he's opion without regards to what anybody thinks. Thats just him being him. I have never meet the man but I know he has a lot of valueable info. about TKD, can nobody see the man passion for his style. Right or wrong you have to respect that atleast. I know I do not know what he wrote that has got everybody upset and Shesula, I have grown to respect your writings. I believe Mich.TKD is very emetional about the way he believes things should be, I just leave it at that. I hope I did not affend anybody, As a man once said(can't we all just get along).

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I would like to chime in on this.

While Bob remains the owner of this Board and retains overall control ownership and control of the "mentor" positons; he has delegated the other staff decisions to me. What does this mean? Simply put, since I have absolutely no dealing in the financial side of Martial Talk, no one buys a position on staff with anything other than their posting behavior. I watch all potential mods. I take suggestions from my staff and then watch their recommendations carefully before approacing anyone. If I like what I see, I discuss it with Bob and let him know of my decision. The only time a financial consideration enters it is if he lets me know that the candidate is someone that has cheated martial talk out of money for services previously rendered.
The reason our staff is structured as it is now is because the most active posting was from the FMA and Kenpo areas, as more areas become more active and members become more active, I have more memebers to recruit from, such as the Ninjutsu area, and hopefully the Korean areas. The most important thing I look for in a moderator is the ability to be non-partial across assosciational boundaries.
If you have any questions on how staff are selected, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]
In the future, I will take a very dim view on cracks such as "at least I didn't buy a moderator position" either on the board or in the rep system.
SEIG
MT OPS ADMIN

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dang it, I was caught!:eek:

Anyway, it was Rodney King who uttered the phrase mentioned by Terry.

Thanks for the support, BTW Terry. Nice to know SOMEONE understands me.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, my rep points are back in the red zone!

I believe someone once said "If you haven't pissed someone off in life, you haven't lived!" Or something like that.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mich, if ya like, I can edit it so they stay there..... LOL!
Give ya a row of red dots...now, if I could just animate em like a Cylon.... :D

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
That would actually be really cool! Don't forget, the Ceylons were the best part of Battlestar Galactica.
Michagan TKD you are too funny!