MMA would never work in a real fight.

OP
S

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay well it seems there is still a little confusion as to just exactly what a "real" fight is.

A "real" fight is to the Death.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're not in danger of contracting SARS or the bird/man/pig flu from dirty hypodermics littering the shores of rivers flowing with magma, while fighting gangs of ninja, it's not a real fight.

Anything less, though, and I have to believe that MMA training wouldn't hurt.

:D

No, a real fight involves West Nile Virus.

A real fight:

[yt]k0YDuSLXcX8[/yt]
:lfao:

Their Skulls, are so well Condi... Oh, wait, you cannot Condition your Skull :p

Okay well it seems there is still a little confusion as to just exactly what a "real" fight is.

Not quite what the Question was. The Lethality of a Fight is irrelevant to how the Fight Functions.
Im mainly addressing the Notion of all Street Fighters being Super Warrior Ninjas.

Oh, okay.

[yt]ooFSFR2s7Ig[/yt]

Better yet:

[yt]Ym9msqE6oYM[/yt]

Color me Amused, Gentlemen. Color me Amused.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

My personal preference in fights to the death is heavy weaponry and a shield, often my mother in law. Odd, she doesn't want to go out drinking with me anymore. If I can't have heavy weaponry, I find all my advanced training in no rules, no discipline, no structured fighting that I have never taken to the absolute pinnacle of my training(ie the death or either myself or my opponent(s)) is much more effective than the training that folks get by fighting not to the death against non-compliant partners> The big difference being I can take my training to the next level , because I train with no rules, whereas they train strictly under rules which limit them in their effectiveness. That's right I'm the deadly!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
My personal preference in fights to the death is heavy weaponry and a shield, often my mother in law. Odd, she doesn't want to go out drinking with me anymore. If I can't have heavy weaponry, I find all my advanced training in no rules, no discipline, no structured fighting that I have never taken to the absolute pinnacle of my training(ie the death or either myself or my opponent(s)) is much more effective than the training that folks get by fighting not to the death against non-compliant partners> The big difference being I can take my training to the next level , because I train with no rules, whereas they train strictly under rules which limit them in their effectiveness. That's right I'm the deadly!
...Until you die, to a Training Partner. :p

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score

While IMO a "real" fight would include elements of danger that could lead to serious injury or death this does not mean it has to be to the death. Look at Musashi. He didn't kill everyone he fought.

And while I am not the biggest fan of MMA, of course it could work in a real fight. Adapting training methodologies could quickly make the skills aquired in MMA suitable for personal defense, but there does have to be changes made just like with traditional systems.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A real fight...hmmmm been in a few in my day. Knives where always an issue for those I fought. No such things as rules, MMA vs. Traditional. The criminals I fought often had experience, developing their own methodologies. That is what made it really dangerous, the unpredictable methodologies. That is what defines a real fight, is the unpredictabilities and the ability to cope with that. What defines the out come of a real fight isn't talk. A fighter works on several levels, not just one. These levels are attitude and intelligence, skill, experience and talent. The one who often loses is due to not having the right attitude and intelligence, talent, enough proper experience and then adequate skills in that order. It doesn't matter what you train in, MMA or not, there are some things that can't be taught to a person, i.e. natural talent, experience, a fire. It is true a well trained person in MMA is more likely to defeat a traditional martial artist who does it recreationally. That is sport vs. hobby. Sports wins. But that can also go the other way. Not everyone in MMA is a good fighter, MMA isn't a magic bullet. In a real fight does MMA work? Just as good as anything else in the right hands. Real fights are unpredictable, and it depends on who your are fighting. MMA is no different in this regard than any other art. I often refer to mass murders, and convicts too too dangerous to be with the rest of the prison population, and hard core experienced gang members, wise guys, etc. How much time do you think the most dangerous people in society spend training in MMA? The think people forget is MMA is a sport, a “mix of martial arts” practiced for sport. It doesn’t make you superman. MMA is effective, and a great tool. And any poor bastard can learn it. But, it is the person wheedling the art, the opponent being faced, and the situation at hand that makes it effective in a real fight. Just as other fighting methodologies.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, in here I posted recently a video showing an old MMA fight. Kimura Masahiko MMA before the 199Os and in Japan? Where Kimura fights a guy and wins. Read the thread and it's comments. It was indicated by one poster that Kimura changed the fight from a pro to a real fight and that wasn't considered an MMA fight, by another poster. I beg to differ as it illustrates the points in my last post of a real fight is unpredictable as well as the others.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
A real fight...hmmmm been in a few in my day. Knives where always an issue for those I fought. No such things as rules, MMA vs. Traditional. The criminals I fought often had experience, developing their own methodologies. That is what made it really dangerous, the unpredictable methodologies. That is what defines a real fight, is the unpredictabilities and the ability to cope with that. What defines the out come of a real fight isn't talk. A fighter works on several levels, not just one. These levels are attitude and intelligence, skill, experience and talent. The one who often loses is due to not having the right attitude and intelligence, talent, enough proper experience and then adequate skills in that order. It doesn't matter what you train in, MMA or not, there are some things that can't be taught to a person, i.e. natural talent, experience, a fire. It is true a well trained person in MMA is more likely to defeat a traditional martial artist who does it recreationally. That is sport vs. hobby. Sports wins. But that can also go the other way. Not everyone in MMA is a good fighter, MMA isn't a magic bullet. In a real fight does MMA work? Just as good as anything else in the right hands. Real fights are unpredictable, and it depends on who your are fighting. MMA is no different in this regard than any other art. I often refer to mass murders, and convicts too too dangerous to be with the rest of the prison population, and hard core experienced gang members, wise guys, etc. How much time do you think the most dangerous people in society spend training in MMA? The think people forget is MMA is a sport, a “mix of martial arts” practiced for sport. It doesn’t make you superman. MMA is effective, and a great tool. And any poor bastard can learn it. But, it is the person wheedling the art, the opponent being faced, and the situation at hand that makes it effective in a real fight. Just as other fighting methodologies.

That, is very well phrased, I do say.
Very well Phrased Indeed.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, in here I posted recently a video showing an old MMA fight. Kimura Masahiko MMA before the 199Os and in Japan? Where Kimura fights a guy and wins. Read the thread and it's comments. It was indicated by one poster that Kimura changed the fight from a pro to a real fight and that wasn't considered an MMA fight, by another poster. I beg to differ as it illustrates the points in my last post of a real fight is unpredictable as well as the others.

Kimura didn't changed the fight from a PRO WRESTLING match to a real fight, it was his opponent RIKIDOZAN. A MMA fight implies that it is fought under MMA rules, not that you ignore the script and do whatever you want.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look at Musashi. He didn't kill everyone he fought.

Haha, I like that. He didn't kill ALL of them... Just most :p
Then again, the ones he didn't kill were mostly in duels that were not to the death in the first place.
One of them where it was to the death, Musashi struck him on the head, which might have killed him, but he lived. His opponent soon after renounced his status, shaved his head and became a monk, living in isolation (at least, that's how it went from memory), so even when he didn't kill, he sure left an impression :p

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I seem to have gotten off topic. It can happen when someone mentions Musashi :)
But to the topic at hand...

I disagree completely. While there is certainly the chance of death or injury, I doubt your average drunkard who just happens to pick a fight with you cuz you looked at him funny is really going to attack you with the mindset of 'I'm going to kill this person'. He more likely just doesn't care how much he hurts you.

I also disagree with the idea of a fight being to the death from the perspective of the defender. If you have that mentality that every encounter is to the death, then you may resort to using more force than is nessisary, like, say, grabbing a nearby sharp object, bottle, etc, as you're fearing for your life.
Doesn't look to good on a police report if your reponce to someone throwing a punch is botling them in the face.
Of course, having not really had much experience in combat, this is all just so much opinion, but I do beleave that the mindset you have while training is what's gonna come out in a 'real' situation, and if you train with the idea that every attacker is aiming to kill you, you may end up becoming the attacker yourself.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kimura didn't changed the fight from a PRO WRESTLING match to a real fight, it was his opponent RIKIDOZAN.

Thanks for the correction. In relation to the other thread, I still stand by: A rose by any other name would smell as sweet -Shakespeare

Last edited:

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think that people who are scared to fight, scared to spar hard, etc. are usually the ones thinking that MMA won't work on the streets.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've posted the following here, my own board and on our association website. It has been well received and is intended to be informative and not verbally combative towards sports oriented practitioners. It assumes for the sake of discussion that 'MMA' is the type designed for competition rather than a cross-training venue in two or more SD related martial arts.

Self Defense Training Methodology
There has been much discussion on the differences between self-defense training methodology vs. sport training methodology. It isn't necessarily a this vs. that since an individual is free to pursue either as the focus of their personal training. The purpose of this thread is to go into the differences in training methodology. It isnt' to say one is better or superior to the other as each has a different focus and a different goal. So from the very beginning I want to make it clear that this isnt' an 'us' vs. 'them' thread. It isn't a we're great and you suck thread. It is only to discuss the SD training methodology in and of itself and how it differs from the sport model.

For the sport-only instructor/practitioner that has only the focus or goal of sport competition, this thread will probably be of little value. And there is nothing wrong with being a sport only instructor/practitiner as long as that goal is clearly stated up front.

For the sport only instructor/practitioner that wants to take a look at some SD options for possible inclusion into the training, this thread may hold some value for you.

For the SD only instructor/practitioner this would be a good thread to 'talk shop'.

For the purposes of this thread we can define self-defense as the strategies, principles, tactics and techniques to defend oneself and/or loved ones from and attack which can cause bodily harm, great bodily harm and/or death.

To begin with, most types of sport traing/competions revolve around some/most/all of the following considerations (be they TKD specific or a more general MMA).

• Has a referee that enforces rules that both parties are required to abide by for the match.
  • The match is in a well-lit, dry, level, soft venue.
  • The opponent is unarmed.
  • The opponent is alone with no chance others will join in.
  • Some sort of safety gear is usually involved i.e. cup, mouth piece, gloves etc.
  • The opponent isn't trying to kill, maim or severely injure you.
  • You get a break in-between rounds to catch your breath, get a drink, get some advice or a pep talk.
  • If you've had enough, you can call a time out or tap out or simply quit and walk away.
  • There is often an incentive or reward for competing and/or winning such as rank advancement, a prize or maybe cash.

As a comparison, self-defense training is for situations;
  • Situational awareness i.e. be aware of your surroundings.
  • Factors such as avoidance, evasion, escape and de-escalation need to be taken into consideration and trained for where appropriate.
  • Where there is no referee enforcing rules.
  • You are likely alone and/or at some sort of a place or position of disadvantage.
  • There are no rules.
  • There are no breaks, water, advice or anything to assist you.
  • The assault can occur in a parking lot, elevator, side street, your car, your bedroom, in the woods etc. It will likely occur in dim light conditions in any type of weather.
  • The attacker may be armed, and should be assumed to be armed.
  • The attacker may have friends more than willing to jump in.
  • There is no safety gear, but likely a plethora of person-unfriendly objects like broken glass, traffic, walls etc.
  • The attacker is looking to cause as much damage to you as humanly possible in the shortest amount of time possible.
  • To quit is to die (or something possibly worse i.e. rape, love one killed etc)
  • The goal is survival, the method is whatever it takes and is appropriate to the situation.

When looking at the difference in training methodologies, consider for the student and scenario;
  • Do they always 'go for the knock-out', for points, for a submission? Is so, they've limited there response options.
  • Do they have the option and/or opportunity to avoid or evade the potential conflice. Or escape or practice an verbal de-escalation skills?
  • Do they have the option of using an improvised weapon?
  • Does there opponent have the option of pulling a weapon (planned or improvised)?
  • Does there opponent have the option of having his buddies jump in to help?
  • Is the student required to observe certain rules?
  • Do your students always train inside the Dojang? Are opportunities provided to train inside a vehicle, stairs, elevator, hallway, small room, on grass, on asphalt, on a sloping or wet or slippery surface?
  • Do your students always where their uniform? Are they familar with what it would be like to be wearing tight clothing, foot wear, shorts and a T-shirt, a dress etc? Tt is one thing to be warmed up and stretched out and wearing loose clothing in the Dojang. It is quite another to try it in a dress in high heels, a pair of tight jeans, with a handful of groceries, a duty belt etc when you're not warmed up and stretched out.
  • Have they ever trained in dim light conditions?
  • Have they trained with visual/auditory distractions?
  • Do we always use a closed fist when striking at the head while wearing gloves and padded helmets? A blow to the head with a fist in a SD situation may not be the wisest tactic. The chance of injuring the hand on someone’s head is fairly substantial even with a well-placed strike. That is why boxer as an example tape their hands and wear gloves. I'll say it again; the chance of injuring your hand on someone's head/face is fairly substantial. If this occurs, depending on the severity of the injury, it could very well limit your options for further SD. Anyone here ever try to manipulate a weapon with broken knuckles? Or a cell phone, or car keys? I've broken a knuckle before and my range of motion in that hand was limited for an extended period of time. Given that manual dexterity is already limited while under duress, you've just made it even harder by busting a knuckle or two, or spraining your wrist on someone's face. And there is no way to know ahead of time whether or not he'll actually be knocked out.

This also doesn't touch on the possibility of blood borne pathogens the bad guy may be carrying. And now you've put yourself in a position of cutting your knuckles on his teeth or 'bleeding' him from the mouth or nose.

Is the student (or the instructor) well versed in the state statutes of force and deadly force? In consideration like bodily harm, great bodily harm and/or death? Subject factors? What a reasonable person would do in the same situation? Are you required to retreat in your state? Does your state have a 'Castle Doctrine'? An instructor doesn't need to be an attorney, but providing the resources for the student to check into it and touching on some of the topics during class time.

Is the student (or the instructor) well versed in the O.O.D.A. loop? Fight or flight? Flinch resonse? Adrenaline responses such as tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, loss of manual dexterity in the extremities? Considerations can include;
  • Even powerful strikes in non-lethal areas can fail.
  • A situation which starts out at less-than-lethal levels can quickly escalate.
  • A proper joint lock, at the appropriate time, 'can' immobilize even an EDP (emotionally disturbed person) even if strikes fail and if properly applied.
  • Be as patient as possible for the situation, look for openings.
  • The attack will probably take place at the most advantageous time to the attacker and the least advantageous to us. We may be tired, sick, distracted etc yet still be forced into a situation.
  • Some of these predators come in packs which backs them bold. And even being physically big isn't always a deterent.

Physical conditioning is also helpful during training, or at least encouraging it. Being physically fit can help us in several areas of a SD situation. It can also help if an injury has been sustained.

That is hopefully a good start for consideration/discussion. Be safe.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prior to MMA/BJJ, fights could to the ground. Usually that meant you got kick and stomped on, or someone sat on you and hit you; remember Christmas story? On the ground meant the a great disadvantage to the person on the ground. Well BJJ comes along and says you don't have to lose if you're on the ground. Then MMA evolves and history is made as it defeats BJJ. Reinstating you now have less of a chance on the ground of winning the fight. The other think MMA isn't exclusive. Anyone one can learn MMA. Keep in my that doesn't guarantee you as a winning street or ring fighter. No art does. What really has changed due to MMA it gives you more of a fighting change, and like any fight the winner is based on ability to perform well in the fight. To answer the question, the clothes make the man.

Underlined part mine. Couldn't agree more with that!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll disagree with that.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. In relation to the other thread, I still stand by: A rose by any other name would smell as sweet -Shakespeare
Twice I asked on the other thread, What is it you are seeing that makes you think this is MMA or BJJ? So I will ask again here, as you raise the previous thread as an example, What is it you are seeing that makes you think this is MMA or BJJ? What are the elements that make this MMA as opposed to two Judoka? When Ken Shamrock left the UFC and went to pbecome a pro wrestler, was he still doing MMa in your opinion, or was he doing pro wrestling?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Twice I asked on the other thread, What is it you are seeing that makes you think this is MMA or BJJ? So I will ask again here, as you raise the previous thread as an example, What is it you are seeing that makes you think this is MMA or BJJ? What are the elements that make this MMA as opposed to two Judoka? When Ken Shamrock left the UFC and went to pbecome a pro wrestler, was he still doing MMa in your opinion, or was he doing pro wrestling?

Pro Wrestlers use MA Techniques.
The Comparison can be made, besides the fact that Wrestling is meant to be orchestrated.