MMA and similar arts are not true Martial Arts?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Evangelists irk me. Ii must admit. Especially if the are using the platform that they are morally right because they ate morally superior.
What is your opinion on WHY anyone bothers to evangelise about their art? What is it I wonder that makes someone an evangelist in this sense do you think? Jx

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is your opinion on WHY anyone bothers to evangelise about their art? What is it I wonder that makes someone an evangelist in this sense do you think? Jx

one aspect i am mulling over is dogmatic training leading to dogmatic thinking.

In pretty much the same way religious belief can tip over.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
one aspect i am mulling over is dogmatic training leading to dogmatic thinking.

In pretty much the same way religious belief can tip over.
dogmatic thinking is one thing yes though what is it do you suggest that makes a martial artist who thinks dogmatically become sanctimonious and evangelistic about their art with others who are not of their artistic persuasion? Jx

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
dogmatic thinking is one thing yes though what is it do you suggest that makes a martial artist who thinks dogmatically become sanctimonious and evangelistic about their art with others who are not of their artistic persuasion? Jx

That's easy. They discover truth rather than doubt. We all really want this stuff to work. I want it to work. So we add this belief in a system that just keeps validating itself. Eventually we accept a new truth. And if we know the truth then they cant.

Then they are wrong and we have to fix them.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's easy. They discover truth rather than doubt. We all really want this stuff to work. I want it to work. So we add this belief in a system that just keeps validating itself. Eventually we accept a new truth. And if we know the truth then they cant.

Yep. Knowing the "truth" is comforting. Doubt is scary.

I wrote some of my thoughts on the subject on my blog a while back.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

They discover truth through blind or manipulated acceptance rather than through questioning and testing against other truths.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I think I understand this yes.. and so taking it back to the original post.. what do you think is this *truth* as regards MMA and similar arts not being "true" martial arts? Jx

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I understand this yes.. and so taking it back to the original post.. what do you think is this *truth* as regards MMA and similar arts not being "true" martial arts? Jx

not to get so hung up on labels.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

They are true martial arts. The problem is that arts that can't compete with those arts in terms of fighting ability have to separate themselves in order to remain viable in the modern age. MMA and NHB competitions are merely modern incarnations of tournament fights that have been going on for centuries in various countries, and traditional MAs of all types freely participated in them. So saying that "sport" MAs aren't true MAs is nonsense.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Normal Martial Arts? I dont understand the point of giving them a separate label.

I mean youre basically saying "Mixed Martial Arts Arts"

Again, the arts that commonly make up of MMA training, or the arts most associated with MMA training. I fail to see how that is at all confusing.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Again, the arts that commonly make up of MMA training, or the arts most associated with MMA training. I fail to see how that is at all confusing.

I'm not confused

It's just a redundant and pointless label

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not confused

It's just a redundant and pointless label

It's not redundant.

There's arts commonly found in MMA, and there's arts not commonly found in MMA. Aikido for example isn't suitable for MMA for whatever reason. Thus Aikido isn't a "MMA art" or "MMA style".

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Aikido is a MARTIAL ART.

All MMA is is cross training whatever Martial Arts, in an environment where that's needed.

MMA is the ruleset

Again youre really saying "Mixed Martial Arts Art" and that's insanely redundant.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep. Knowing the "truth" is comforting. Doubt is scary.

I wrote some of my thoughts on the subject on my blog a while back.
|
Do you have any 'doubts' about Machida in his upcoming bout against Rockhold this October? Since the T is on MMA, let's look to an actual contest.

They discover truth through blind or manipulated acceptance rather than through questioning and testing against other truths.
|
Any opinion on the Machida / Rockhold match scheduled for UFC Fox 15 @ April 18? We haven't heard much from Dolloway since Machida starched him. OTOH, Machida seems to have bounced back nicely from the 5-Round beating he took from Weidman @ UFC 175.
|
I religiously follow Machida's every fight.... Maybe a T on this....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That there isn't a truth.

probably.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aikido is a MARTIAL ART.

All MMA is is cross training whatever Martial Arts, in an environment where that's needed.

MMA is the ruleset

Again youre really saying "Mixed Martial Arts Art" and that's insanely redundant.

All you actually have to do with language is evoke an idea. It doesn't have to be technically correct.

I have a coach who refers to those art,arts as drills.

"bjj yeah that is a really good drill for mma"

And then we all giggle.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the name in and of itself "Mixed Martial Arts" answers the question. It says ARTS not art thus it is more than one art

Latest Discussions