MMA and similar arts are not true Martial Arts?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Came across this article from a guy who does Aikido, basically saying that due to a lack of spiritual focus, and instead a focus that purely revolves around fighting, MMA and similar styles can't be considered "Martial Arts".

Shoshin Examiner Aikido in the Age of MMA

I find such reasoning to be silly, but I would lying if I said I hadn't heard it before from traditional stylists on one form or another.

So, are MMA and similar arts truly martial arts, or are the something different? Perhaps simply combative sports?
I wonder why does this concern you whether your art or any art is validated in some other persons eyes? Is it not most important what your own practice is to you rather than what the world thinks of it? Why is it important? Jx

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder why does this concern you whether your art or any art is validated in some other persons eyes? Is it not most important what your own practice is to you rather than what the world thinks of it? Why is it important? Jx

I wouldn't say it concerns me, as in I stay up at night thinking about it. It simply makes me curious if others share his opinion, and what is the root of his opinion.

For example, the author stated he felt guilty for enjoying MMA because it clashed with his Aikido teachings. Such devotion is almost religious/cult-like in nature, and pretty interesting from a psychological viewpoint.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, I realized the author is the guy who has done those weird Aikido videos that challenge other martial arts.

Anyone remember this?

Here's his video where he beats up on some Karate kids;

Frankly, Im speechless....

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah, I realized the author is the guy who has done those weird Aikido videos that challenge other martial arts.

Anyone remember this?

Frankly, I'm speechless too. What have these videos got to do with the topic, or are you putting them up to show how bad the sparring is?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mmm! Just checked out the background to the video ...

"I visited my friend’s karate dojo for sparring class with some of their black belts. I am not wearing any hand protection because I made a rule for myself that I would not do any punching, only trying to defend and control the opponent. My opponents have various levels of training experience ranging from 8 to 14 years, and one of them also has experience with BJJ. I got hit quite a few times, and my opponents’ hand protection made wrist techniques pretty much impossible to execute, but I believe these highlights show some of the effective potential of Aikido principles against trained, resisting opponents. This video is NOT intended to assert that Aikido is inherently better than karate or any other art, only that it deserves recognition as a legitimate martial art and viable method of self-defense. Thanks to my fellow martial artists for their hospitality, spirit, and sincere camaraderie."

Just for context.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm speechless too. What have these videos got to do with the topic, or are you putting them up to show how bad the sparring is?

They're relevant because the person who put up those vids also wrote the article.

And yes, the sparring is quite bad from both sides. Hopefully he visits a Bjj school soon so that he can scratch his itch.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They're relevant because the person who put up those vids also wrote the article.

And yes, the sparring is quite bad from both sides. Hopefully he visits a Bjj school soon so that he can scratch his itch.
Of course, he wouldn't have a chance there.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it concerns me, as in I stay up at night thinking about it. It simply makes me curious if others share his opinion, and what is the root of his opinion.

For example, the author stated he felt guilty for enjoying MMA because it clashed with his Aikido teachings. Such devotion is almost religious/cult-like in nature, and pretty interesting from a psychological viewpoint.
I understand thank you for your reply. Can you clarify for me, are you saying that you dislike his having an "almost religious" devotion to his art? Jx

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I still feel it concerns everybody on the internet sharing opinions. Otherwise we all wouldn't be here in the first place.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still feel it concerns everybody on the internet sharing opinions. Otherwise we all wouldn't be here in the first place.
You are asserting that it concerns everyone on the internet whether their art or anyone elses art is a "valid" art or not??

I am one person other peoples views of my art does not affect and I am on the internet.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Anyone remember this?

yes, quite terrible. But in fairness to the guy, at least regarding the second video, it seemed the schools were simply interacting and he was trying his style against the karate students. It seemed they were amicably taking turns at pretty light hearted "play" and not much more than that. It was clear head shots were all but a no-no as he had his glasses on.

To be honest, from the few aikido clubs I have visited and trained at and what I have seen from the seniors, I was pretty (actually, very) disappointed with his own balance and abilities. But I was even more disappointed with the karateka, if they truly had experience ranging from 8 - 14 years...one of the females seems to pretty much take herself out through her own imbalance on throwing a kick...maybe it was not karate but drunken boxing? : )

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

Are you speechless because for once it is not a BJJ or MMA video challenging other martial arts?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Anyone remember this?

Wouldn't sparring be against his dislike of the competitive aspect of martial arts.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
he's not really "challenging" or even purporting to challenge other styles is he, from his own statements, at least those I have seen, it seems he is doing this more to assert Aikido's own worth, rather to challenge others. He seems to be doing this in a pretty relaxed, friendly manner in the spirit of sharing with other styles, these don't look like "challenge matches"...

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
he's not really "challenging" or even purporting to challenge other styles is he, from his own statements, at least those I have seen, it seems he is doing this more to assert Aikido's own worth, rather to challenge others. He seems to be doing this in a pretty relaxed, friendly manner in the spirit of sharing with other styles, these don't look like "challenge matches"...

Well, given his opinion of sport styles in the OP, I would say that it's not all that friendly.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, given his opinion of sport styles in the OP, I would say that it's not all that friendly.
Ok, so some of the surrounding "banter" may not be overly friendly but the actual "rolling" seemed pretty low intensity you would have to agree.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you speechless because for once it is not a BJJ or MMA video challenging other martial arts?

I'm speechless because the technical proficiency on both sides was atrocious. I expect better technique at that level.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Anyone remember this?

Sparring and rolling seem to have a kinder, gentler aspect to them now.

As for the vid against closed guard - IMO, that is an unrealistic, purposely motivated
example of showing something that is not so in actual use/real world. It might as well have been shot with an unconscious partner who had his cuffs clipped together with paper clips.

I wonder why he decided to shoot it that way? Maybe I wonder too much about these things.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand thank you for your reply. Can you clarify for me, are you saying that you dislike his having an "almost religious" devotion to his art? Jx

It's not almost religious, it is religious. He speaks of enjoying MMA as if it's a sin he's committed against O'Sensei. He goes on to call us within the MMA arts "heathens" because we lack the spirit/soul that he has in his style (whatever that is).

I give him credit for testing his Aikido though. Hopefully he goes the extra mile and fully cross trains in another style.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not almost religious, it is religious. He speaks of enjoying MMA as if it's a sin he's committed against O'Sensei. He goes on to call us within the MMA arts "heathens" because we lack the spirit/soul that he has in his style (whatever that is).

I give him credit for testing his Aikido though. Hopefully he goes the extra mile and fully cross trains in another style.

What the heck are "MMA" arts?

Latest Discussions