miyamoto mushashi: how to perceive intention of your opponent

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently read a scholarly work on Musashi's life and the author stated that in reality Musashi was simply trying to land a gig as a swordsmanship instructor with a wealth lord. Which...bizarre as it seems...he was never successful in accomplishing.

Many of the duels (and the hype associated with them) were similar to PR efforts we see today. It was implied that some (if not "many") of his duels were Cherry Picked affairs and Musashi used everything from psychological warfare (arriving late) to almost blatant "cheating". Although in a duel to the death "cheating" isn't the most accurate word to use. :)

Not an uncommon activity (attempting to secure employment)... and it might be noted that Musashi was unsuccessful in a number of such attempts, but not all. He was in the employ of Ogasawara Tadazane (earlier, he was employed by Ogasawara Tadanao, but not in a military position), and later to Hosokawa Tadatoshi. He was not successful in attempting to become a sword instructor to the Shogun, partially because there were already two teachers employed (Yagyu Munenori and Ono Jiroemon Tadaaki). As to the idea of the duels being PR efforts, some being sensationalized, some exaggerated, and the tactics being chosen being somewhat less than "clean combat", yep. Again, not that uncommon.

From from something to critisize, the use of psychological warfare and "cheating" (whatever that may be in the context of a duel) are probably quite wise if one is interested in surviving. Others can speak much to the norms involved in dueling during the time period but, if I am not mistaken, several koryu include teachings not just on physical techniques but things such as strategy, tactics, how to put a castle under seige, what kind of terrain to have your own stronghold situated in, etc. The more modern martial arts, IMO, would do well to recapture a bit of that mindset (or at least modern martial artists, if styles as a whole aren't going to).

I'd suggest that, without many of those aspects (specifically the idea of strategy and tactics, not necessarily siege warfare...), then it's not martial arts. It doesn't matter if it's Koryu or not (although many Koryu class their teachings as hyoho/heiho [兵法], which means, roughly, strategy... including arts such as Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu....hmm...)

Out of curiosity, which book on Musashi were you reading? I read Kenji Tokitsu's Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings some time ago and some of what you say in your post sounds similar to what is in that book.

Pax,

Chris

Fantastic book, highly recommended! Avoid Eiji Yoshikawa's "Musashi" unless you want a more colourful novel.... it's not a historical reference, although some try to see it as such.

It means i tried to read the book of five rings and wasnt interested. :)

Hmm. Again, fine... but that does beg the question of why you're commenting on it's contents and it's lessons/ideas....

Im not sure which of us youre addressing, but if youre addressing me, i guess i just dont see how the time youre being beaten senseless, stabbed, or shot is the time to try and analyze someone, as opposed to doing something about it. Like you just said, or at least what i got from it, thats what training is for. I feel a miscommunication may have taken place here.

I was addressing you. I used Xue's quotes to give context to your answers.

You've already analyzed them. In the situation, you're recognizing what you've already analyzed. Remember, the Gorin no Sho is designed to impart deeper understanding of the hyoho of Musashi's Ryu... it's about understanding why the Ryu does what it does. But analysis is necessary... whether you use terminology such as the OODA Loop, or a more classical series of concepts, analysis is required. The idea of "well, I'm just going to try to do something, and hope it works" is asking for injury and pain. You don't stop for 10 minutes to see what you can figure out, but by the same token, if you can't analyze (quickly!), you'll get killed (in the context). That's why I said the comments were short-sighted and (sorry!) ignorant.

Hi Chris,

Welcome back!

Again, thanks.

I think I will listen to some Japanese teachers and their personal lessons on Mushashi!

Well.... you'll forgive me if I consider them vastly uninformed then! You can listen to them, but, well... I'm not sure how much good that'd do you....

Thanks and you are entitled to your opinion as well since neither of us or anyone else was back in his day and we only have his writing to look at.

Er... no. We have a lot more than just his writings, you know. We have, after all, his hyoho. We have the living traditions. We have the records from other sources. We have the records and stories contained within the Ryu.

We have a lot more than just the Gorin no Sho. We have the means to understand it.

When you look at Mushashi in the end he was an guy, writing, living the hermit life, failed to get that gig as Tgace wrote. Basically had no family to speak of, etc. Pretty sad really! Was he great at what he did? Yes by all accounts and his own written word. Did he maybe obsess a bit and that obsession threw off the balance in his life? Probably! When you look at him you see someone unbalanced in life. Sure he was great with the sword but unbalanced in life because of his obsession. This obsession probably caused his failure at becoming an instructor for some wealthy lord. If you read the account of his life I wouldn't hire him to work for me either. I know this is not a popular thought on the "sword saint" (yes I understand how it is used) but if you take a look at his whole life there is some loss of balance. That loss of balance is why I referred to earlier that I pitied him. I will bet his life on many levels to him was disappointing. (no wife, no kid's, no family, no job and probably lots of guilt and regret in the end)

And this is what I mean when I say that I'd consider those that told you these things rather ill-informed....

Musashi didn't live a "hermit life" until very late... and even then, it wasn't anything to do with not having any family (three sons, so you know... and many, many students, including three very senior ones.... unless you're saying that Hatsumi's lack of children makes his life "pretty sad, really!"?). While Musashi didn't get the gig as teacher to the Shogun, he was hardly a destitute beggar eking out a meager existence, he was in the employ of some quite well respected daimyo over his time. He was also very insistent on the idea of balance in life, in training, in skills and knowledge... so that's off too.

No wife, sure. But there were three (adopted) sons, a number of jobs, and no regret. So, again, nope. You're listening to the wrong people.

Having said the above the Book of Five Rings offers some thing for a martial practitioner to read. From understanding a bit about the importance of psychology and using it to your advantage as well as not allowing your obsession to consume you! Balance is important after all! In that he did some thing very good for us!

Is that what you think the Gorin no Sho says? Hmm...

Maybe not the most popular take on Mushashi but definitely one to make you think!

Not the most accurate take either, Brian...

Depending on who that was directed at I may take offense...or I may not.

Ha, no, I was just using your comments for context. I was agreeing with you.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm. Again, fine... but that does beg the question of why you're commenting on it's contents and it's lessons/ideas....

Because i wanted to. Thats sorta like questioning why im on a MA forum when i stopped doing MA earlier this year.

You've already analyzed them. In the situation, you're recognizing what you've already analyzed. Remember, the Gorin no Sho is designed to impart deeper understanding of the hyoho of Musashi's Ryu... it's about understanding why the Ryu does what it does. But analysis is necessary... whether you use terminology such as the OODA Loop, or a more classical series of concepts, analysis is required. The idea of "well, I'm just going to try to do something, and hope it works" is asking for injury and pain. You don't stop for 10 minutes to see what you can figure out, but by the same token, if you can't analyze (quickly!), you'll get killed (in the context). That's why I said the comments were short-sighted and (sorry!) ignorant.

The bold part? That was my point, and what i was saying. Im not sure how you missed that. :)

To reitterate, analyzing someone at the time, as i understand it, means trying to work all that stuff out AT THE TIME. Working it out in advance then recognizing it, to me, is working it out in advance and then recognizing it.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because i wanted to. Thats sorta like questioning why im on a MA forum when i stopped doing MA earlier this year.

Hmm. No, not really. You have a background and interest in martial arts... but not in the Gorin no Sho. Additionally, you continued to argue against what you thought it said, rather than seek to understand.

The bold part? That was my point, and what i was saying. Im not sure how you missed that. :)

To reitterate, analyzing someone at the time, as i understand it, means trying to work all that stuff out AT THE TIME. Working it out in advance then recognizing it, to me, is working it out in advance and then recognizing it.

How I missed it? Well, mainly because you kept talking about how you didn't think the idea of understanding your attacker at the time was a good one... frankly, it is. Without it, well.... pain.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not an uncommon activity (attempting to secure employment)... and it might be noted that Musashi was unsuccessful in a number of such attempts, but not all. He was in the employ of Ogasawara Tadazane (earlier, he was employed by Ogasawara Tadanao, but not in a military position), and later to Hosokawa Tadatoshi. He was not successful in attempting to become a sword instructor to the Shogun, partially because there were already two teachers employed (Yagyu Munenori and Ono Jiroemon Tadaaki). As to the idea of the duels being PR efforts, some being sensationalized, some exaggerated, and the tactics being chosen being somewhat less than "clean combat", yep. Again, not that uncommon.

I'd suggest that, without many of those aspects (specifically the idea of strategy and tactics, not necessarily siege warfare...), then it's not martial arts. It doesn't matter if it's Koryu or not (although many Koryu class their teachings as hyoho/heiho [兵法], which means, roughly, strategy... including arts such as Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu....hmm...)

Fantastic book, highly recommended! Avoid Eiji Yoshikawa's "Musashi" unless you want a more colourful novel.... it's not a historical reference, although some try to see it as such.

Again, thanks.

Well.... you'll forgive me if I consider them vastly uninformed then! You can listen to them, but, well... I'm not sure how much good that'd do you....

Er... no. We have a lot more than just his writings, you know. We have, after all, his hyoho. We have the living traditions. We have the records from other sources. We have the records and stories contained within the Ryu.

We have a lot more than just the Gorin no Sho. We have the means to understand it.

And this is what I mean when I say that I'd consider those that told you these things rather ill-informed....

Musashi didn't live a "hermit life" until very late... and even then, it wasn't anything to do with not having any family (three sons, so you know... and many, many students, including three very senior ones.... unless you're saying that Hatsumi's lack of children makes his life "pretty sad, really!"?). While Musashi didn't get the gig as teacher to the Shogun, he was hardly a destitute beggar eking out a meager existence, he was in the employ of some quite well respected daimyo over his time. He was also very insistent on the idea of balance in life, in training, in skills and knowledge... so that's off too.

No wife, sure. But there were three (adopted) sons, a number of jobs, and no regret. So, again, nope. You're listening to the wrong people.

Is that what you think the Gorin no Sho says? Hmm...

Not the most accurate take either, Brian...

Ha, no, I was just using your comments for context. I was agreeing with you.

According to Tokitsu Musashi wasn't under the official employ of a lord till he was taken in by Lord Hosokawa in his 50's a letter from Musashi to an intermediary to the lord stated:

"...

Until now, I have never been officially in the service of a lord. And time has passed; moreover, in the last years I have often been sick...."

Musashi was taken in under the status of "guest of the lord" and given an allowance of 300 koku. An ammount that...according to the author...was not a high one and would have been humiliating if he had been taken in as a vassal. An official arms master to a lord would often demand 3000-4000 koku.

Musashi therefore never officially served a lord as a vassal with land holdings or men.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response but alas real life like camping, living and well just having a great time with family intruded!

I would consider the Japanese Sensei that I know very well informed
. They understand not only the martial but the cultural aspects that most non-Japanese simply have a hard time picking up. They also have a depth of learning Japanese history that would be hard to have unless you lived in Japan, spoke the language and could actually read Japanese. Plus they have a cultural history that any non-Japanese simply would not have. If you are criticizing them you probably need to look in the mirror some and realize you have a lot to learn. I think their take on Mushashi was open minded which is simply not what you find as much of out there. I think being open minded and taking an overall look at his life gives you more depth. Rather than a very small shallow view based solely on his writing, martial system and oral tradition from his students. (not that this is insignificant in any way) There is quite a bit more to look at overall than just that! We need to look at how he lived. What positions or lack of positions did he hold. His mistakes. His failures. His success.

Yes he had adopted kid's. Adopted men actually as if I am correct he adopted them when they were already of a significant age and it was more about opportunity than family! (for both) If I recall correctly as soon as they had any success he was actually out of their lives or had moved on.

If you look deeply you will see he was just mediocre at best in everything but his swordsmanship. Doesn't mean he wasn't a great swordsman. He certainly is to be respected in that area. If I were to pick one person at dueling in that kind of a venue he would be on the short list. He certainly seemed obsessed with that part of his life. An obsession like that does tend to throw off balance in anyone's life.

That does not mean that his life was not interesting or note worthy.
Just that I would not recommend anyone to follow his life path! (not his system, just how he lived his life)

I feel bad for him as he was searching for some thing that he apparently never attained in his life. However, in his death he attained an immortality of sorts. (maybe even blown a little out of proportion to his actual standing) Still by all accounts he was a great swordsman!!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response but alas real life like camping, living and well just having a great time with family intruded!

First, how dare you have a life outside of MT :D

I would consider the Japanese Sensei that I know very well informed They understand not only the martial but the cultural aspects that most non-Japanese simply have a hard time picking up. They also have a depth of learning Japanese history that would be hard to have unless you lived in Japan, spoke the language and could actually read Japanese. Plus they have a cultural history that any non-Japanese simply would not have. If you are criticizing them you probably need to look in the mirror some and realize you have a lot to learn. I think their take on Mushashi was open minded which is simply not what you find as much of out there. I think being open minded and taking an overall look at his life gives you more depth. Rather than a very small shallow view based solely on his writing, martial system and oral tradition from his students. (not that this is insignificant in any way) There is quite a bit more to look at overall than just that! We need to look at how he lived. What positions or lack of positions did he hold. His mistakes. His failures. His success.

Yes he had adopted kid's. Adopted men actually as if I am correct he adopted them when they were already of a significant age and it was more about opportunity than family! (for both) If I recall correctly as soon as they had any success he was actually out of their lives or had moved on.

If you look deeply you will see he was just mediocre at best in everything but his swordsmanship. Doesn't mean he wasn't a great swordsman. He certainly is to be respected in that area. If I were to pick one person at dueling in that kind of a venue he would be on the short list. He certainly seemed obsessed with that part of his life. An obsession like that does tend to throw off balance in anyone's life.

That does not mean that his life was not interesting or note worthy.
Just that I would not recommend anyone to follow his life path! (not his system, just how he lived his life)

I feel bad for him as he was searching for some thing that he apparently never attained in his life. However, in his death he attained an immortality of sorts. (maybe even blown a little out of proportion to his actual standing) Still by all accounts he was a great swordsman!!!

Second, how dare you take the myth out of the man and then go and take a take a cool, unemotional, logical view of him based on those that have knowledge of the history and culture in which he lived. :D

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They understand not only the martial but the cultural aspects that most non-Japanese simply have a hard time picking up. They also have a depth of learning Japanese history that would be hard to have unless you lived in Japan, spoke the language and could actually read Japanese. Plus they have a cultural history that any non-Japanese simply would not have.

There are those among us who spend a great chunk of our life learning just as much of the culture, history, and language of a country as they do learning its arts. I have a hunch that Chris is among them.

A few points that you should consider, though; culture and language, as with any art, do change over time, and the perceptions of modern Japanese society of their own past won't always match up with reality. Sometimes, an outsider with an inside perspective, and intimate knowledge, can see and understand things more clearly than someone with a less examined bias.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to Tokitsu Musashi wasn't under the official employ of a lord till he was taken in by Lord Hosokawa in his 50's a letter from Musashi to an intermediary to the lord stated:

"...

Until now, I have never been officially in the service of a lord. And time has passed; moreover, in the last years I have often been sick...."

Musashi was taken in under the status of "guest of the lord" and given an allowance of 300 koku. An ammount that...according to the author...was not a high one and would have been humiliating if he had been taken in as a vassal. An official arms master to a lord would often demand 3000-4000 koku.

Musashi therefore never officially served a lord as a vassal with land holdings or men.

You're not actually disagreeing with me, there, Tgace... in fact, you're saying the same thing I did (that he was employed, but not as a vassal... although there is also some dispute over that. There are reasons that the previous positions were not mentioned/acknowledged when discussing his position with Hosokawa, but I'm not getting into that here), that he was employed in a range of positions prior to his time with Hosokawa, just not that one. And, for the record, that wasn't what Brian was saying... it was that Musashi was a failure at securing a position (as a sword teacher), therefore a failure in his life. And that is simply not correct in many, many regards. The details and reasons for the employment/patronage of Lord Hosokawa were also rather different to what is presented here...

Yeah, I've been out of it for a bit too.
I would consider the Japanese Sensei that I know very well informed. They understand not only the martial but the cultural aspects that most non-Japanese simply have a hard time picking up. They also have a depth of learning Japanese history that would be hard to have unless you lived in Japan, spoke the language and could actually read Japanese. Plus they have a cultural history that any non-Japanese simply would not have. If you are criticizing them you probably need to look in the mirror some and realize you have a lot to learn.

That's all well and good, Brian, but thoroughly irrelevant unless their study is in Musashi and his Hyoho... which it isn't. As a result, nothing you said there shows them as having any real authority or knowledge of this particular subject... and, if you're referring to who I believe you are, I have seen many, many references to Musashi, his history, his works, his art, and so on, all of which have been consistently wrong. To be clear, I am referring to Hatsumi here specifically, although I extend it further than that. You want to believe what they say? Go for it. They're wrong, though, so I wouldn't put much stock in what they say. Do you have better sources?

I think their take on Mushashi was open minded which is simply not what you find as much of out there. I think being open minded and taking an overall look at his life gives you more depth. Rather than a very small shallow view based solely on his writing, martial system and oral tradition from his students. (not that this is insignificant in any way) There is quite a bit more to look at overall than just that! We need to look at how he lived. What positions or lack of positions did he hold. His mistakes. His failures. His success.

Er... what? "Open minded"? Really? By commenting without knowing, or being part of what they're commenting on at all? That's not being open minded, Brian, it's being ignorant and arrogant at the same time. And what on earth are you talking about with "rather than a small shallow view based solely on his writings, martial system and oral tradition"?!?! You mean all the actual first hand accounts of the guy? You mean the actual histories left? You mean the people who have maintained a constant contact with the person and all the above? How on earth is basing an understanding on all the actual information, passed as part of a living tradition, "small and shallow"?!? Seriously, that's just a ridiculous statement to make.

See, this is what I mean when I say you're listening to the wrong people... Musashi was actually better known as an artist, rather than a swordsman, so this idea of "he was mediocre at best in everything but his swordsmanship" is completely against the reality of what is known. And, again, you're thinking that there was a lack of balance... based on what? Where do you get this idea of obsession from? Focus, certainly, but this insistence that he was obsessed to the point of being pitied is frankly baseless. You are simply coming across as not knowing what you're talking about, really.
That does not mean that his life was not interesting or note worthy. Just that I would not recommend anyone to follow his life path! (not his system, just how he lived his life)

Well, you can feel bad for him, but you really should know that it doesn't seem to be based in anything other than incorrect perceptions taken from people who don't know what they're talking about.

First, how dare you have a life outside of MT :D

Second, how dare you take the myth out of the man and then go and take a take a cool, unemotional, logical view of him based on those that have knowledge of the history and culture in which he lived. :D

That's the issue, though, Xue... it isn't a "cool, unemotional, logical view", as Brian (or those he has listened to) are not taking into account the actual accounts of the man himself... and don't have knowledge of this specific history. Just knowing Japanese history or culture doesn't cut it, frankly, as this is specific knowledge, not general.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's the issue, though, Xue... it isn't a "cool, unemotional, logical view", as Brian (or those he has listened to) are not taking into account the actual accounts of the man himself... and don't have knowledge of this specific history. Just knowing Japanese history or culture doesn't cut it, frankly, as this is specific knowledge, not general.

To be honest Chris, I don't much care about this topic, I have my view of it and I'm rather ok with that. But to clasrify the "unemotional view" thingy..... I am saying that as uposed to what tusually occurs and that is the deification of the man which has and does occure and thereby has created a somewhat skewed view of Mushashi and his life.

As to history and culture; Mushashi did not live in a bubble and he was the product of his culture at that time in history in which he lived so an understanding of that culture and history will give one a better understanding of the man. You cannot look at him separate from his culture or the time in which he lived if you are going to understand him at all, his history, and for that matter any person from the pasts history, is specific to that person but it is not isolated form the things that are going on around that person at the time he/she lived nor is it isolated from the culture in which they lived either......so knowing the history "and" culture at the time Miyamoto Mushashi lived is very important and has a great impact on ones understanding of the specific history of Miyamoto Mushashi.

Although I am sure you will not agree and I am equally as sure I will likely not take this any further since it would likely be pointless. Also remember that I previously I stated I don't much care about this topic, meaning I don't really care to discuss it further, I'm good with what I already know on the topic of Miyamoto Mushashi.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not for me to judge if another man's life is out of balance or not. By all accounts Musashi was an excentric and driven man who chose a difficult path in life. But as Chris noted, he did accomplish much more than simply becoming a famous swordsman. Check out the following:

http://www.kampaibudokai.org/MusashiArt.htm

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Reading GRNS is fine for any MAist. However, you can't really understand it unless you're doing HNIR (or Noda-Ha HNIR). Heck, I have some training in HNIR and I don't understand the book either. According to Imai Soke, you can't understand it without knowledge of Buddhist Sutras. Guess how much knowledge of those I have. It's an integer between -1 and 1. So by all means read it and get what you can out of it. Just don't think that you're getting out of it exactly what Musashi intended. :)

-Mark

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's plenty in TBFR on strategy, martial philosophy and other "non sword" topics to learn from.

The "fire book" is probably the one that is mostly sword specific....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You seem to be missing what we're saying there... We're not saying that the only people who can get anything out of the Gorin no Sho are members of the Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, in fact, we've said a number of times that many people can get many things out of it... we're saying that the only people who can understand what is actually meant and intended are the practitioners of Musashi's Hyoho. So, yeah, there's a lot there about strategy... but it's not intended as generic strategic concepts, it's intended as particular strategies and tactics applied to Musashi's Ryu-ha. The Hi no Maki is focused specifically on the technical aspects of Musashi's Hyoho, sure, but the entire book revolves around kenjutsu... and, while the entire book is sword-specific (in context), it is really more accurate to say that the entire book is Niten Ichi Ryu specific. Can you get something out of it? Sure, and good for you. Doesn't change the fact that you simply will not be able to get what is meant by the book, as you will not be aware of the context surrounding what is written. It really can't be forgotten that the book was written for someone who was completely and fully trained and initiated into the physical (technical) methods of Musashi... so those technical aspects and methods are behind everything written. If you don't know those methods, you don't know what the words refer to.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest Chris, I don't much care about this topic, I have my view of it and I'm rather ok with that. But to clasrify the "unemotional view" thingy..... I am saying that as uposed to what tusually occurs and that is the deification of the man which has and does occure and thereby has created a somewhat skewed view of Mushashi and his life.

As to history and culture; Mushashi did not live in a bubble and he was the product of his culture at that time in history in which he lived so an understanding of that culture and history will give one a better understanding of the man. You cannot look at him separate from his culture or the time in which he lived if you are going to understand him at all, his history, and for that matter any person from the pasts history, is specific to that person but it is not isolated form the things that are going on around that person at the time he/she lived nor is it isolated from the culture in which they lived either......so knowing the history "and" culture at the time Miyamoto Mushashi lived is very important and has a great impact on ones understanding of the specific history of Miyamoto Mushashi.

Although I am sure you will not agree and I am equally as sure I will likely not take this any further since it would likely be pointless. Also remember that I previously I stated I don't much care about this topic, meaning I don't really care to discuss it further, I'm good with what I already know on the topic of Miyamoto Mushashi.

Hard to say it any better than this! Some times people just need to look a little deeper and realize that not every historical figure is exactly as what history has portrayed. ;)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You seem to be missing what we're saying there... We're not saying that the only people who can get anything out of the Gorin no Sho are members of the Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, in fact, we've said a number of times that many people can get many things out of it... we're saying that the only people who can understand what is actually meant and intended are the practitioners of Musashi's Hyoho. So, yeah, there's a lot there about strategy... but it's not intended as generic strategic concepts, it's intended as particular strategies and tactics applied to Musashi's Ryu-ha. The Hi no Maki is focused specifically on the technical aspects of Musashi's Hyoho, sure, but the entire book revolves around kenjutsu... and, while the entire book is sword-specific (in context), it is really more accurate to say that the entire book is Niten Ichi Ryu specific. Can you get something out of it? Sure, and good for you. Doesn't change the fact that you simply will not be able to get what is meant by the book, as you will not be aware of the context surrounding what is written. It really can't be forgotten that the book was written for someone who was completely and fully trained and initiated into the physical (technical) methods of Musashi... so those technical aspects and methods are behind everything written. If you don't know those methods, you don't know what the words refer to.

Why do you think Im addressing you? I simply made a statement.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hard to say it any better than this!
Some times people just need to look a little deeper and realize that not every historical figure is exactly as what history has portrayed. ;)

Look, Xue said he wasn't interested in pursuing a discussion, so I left his comments alone (although I wasn't really calling him out in my quoting of him previously, more showing that, well, although you are coming across as more open/rational, you really aren't either here). But if you're going to try this, I might as well address it.

Frankly, while having an understanding of the culture surrounding Musashi at the time is important to place him in his context, this line of reasoning is plainly incorrect. It's like saying you've studied peasant life in Tudor England, therefore you can comment on how King Henry VIII felt without actually researching Henry himself, instead only relying on personal perception and listening to people who don't know. It's also very, very important to realize that my comments on Musashi do not stem from any form of deification, nor of any kind of common perception in a cultural zeitgeist... it comes from the people who knew him, from Musashi himself, from what he has left behind (in far more than just written words), and much, much more. You, on the other hand Brian, have been consistently incorrect in your assumptions, perceptions, observations, and comments about Musashi and his life. Your only recourse has been to state that you trust your "Japanese Sensei"... with the implication that you trust them because they are Japanese, despite your information being inaccurate and incorrect. It doesn't matter if your information comes from Japanese people, even Japanese martial artists, regardless of seniority, if they don't know what they're talking about... and, again, if you number Hatsumi there, he has shown again and again that he has no insight or knowledge of Musashi or his Hyoho. That's fine, he can't know everything.

I'm not dealing with Musashi "exactly as what history has portrayed", Brian... and yours doesn't seem to deal with Musashi in any way other than the imaginings of people who haven't researched or learnt.

Why do you think Im addressing you? I simply made a statement.

Really? I didn't think you were addressing me, specifically, Tgace, I was responding to your statement... as your statement was inaccurate in regards to the content and context of the tome... by pointing out that each and every person with any connection to, or experience with Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu has talked about how you can't get what is meant or intended without that study (including the post directly before yours), which you seemed again to be arguing against.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's plenty in TBFR on strategy, martial philosophy and other "non sword" topics to learn from.

The "fire book" is probably the one that is mostly sword specific....

How was that inaccurate? Seeing that you agreed with me?

You are one of those "never wrong" types aren't you?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The entire book is on strategy, however it's specific not general; the idea of martial philosophy presented is more about "here's how to follow what I do", and the whole book is centered on sword... not just the Hi no Maki. You could also state that the Kaze no Maki is more about sword... it's just about sword ideas in other schools, and why they're not favoured within Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. But, most importantly, it was the implication that reading it without the context of the Ryu it is entirely dependent upon for contextual understanding is fine for people to learn what Musashi was talking about... when they simply won't. In many cases, it's like me saying I'm going to teach you how to play a famous song on guitar, and only teaching you three chords (Am, Gmaj and Fmaj)... now, what song have I taught you? Stairway to Heaven? Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood? I Heard It Through The Grapevine? Tenacious D's The Greatest Song In The World? DAAS's (I Wanna Spill The Blood Of A) Hippy? How do you know?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Round 10..... :)

I think in the end that he is a historical figure who is blown way out of proportion based on what he did or did not do.

My sources are not Hatsumi Sensei. No instead they are a Japanese Iaido Sensei and another Japanese Sensei. I also have
a good friend with who is Japanese and is now living back in Japan. When talking with him it is always interesting
because he is the one who has the least favorable impression of Mushashi and sees him more like a cartoon character.
I am always fascinated by non martial practitioner views in this manner. He does not buy into the legend of Mushashi.

If we just look at the stories regarding Mushashi and understand that in the East or in the whole of the world stories over time get exaggerated
then you would come to the realization that more than likely half of what he wrote or people wrote about him are exaggerations or outright
fabrications.

We know that he fought in one battle and his side lost and that he sure ran as hell ran to escape the slaughter! If he didn't he would be dead and
his legend would never have been!

We know that he had very little in the way of skills to make his way in the world other than utilizing his swordmanship and by all accounts his natural attributes
so that he went around challenging people to build a reputation as a swordsman. Which never led to anything for him by all accounts except the legend that is
Mushashi in the here and now.

We know he wanted to teach his system of swordsmanship and failed to be retained by a lord to do so. (which is incredibly telling or damning)

We know he killed people by his own account and anyone who has been in that situation will let you know
it changes you and if you do not have some kind of regret then more than likely you have a mental disorder
of some kind. This plays out whether it is today or back in the past.

We know he had no real family by all accounts. Sure he adopted some grown men but in those type of situations it is almost always a matter of convenience. Meaning they were hoping to use him to advance their position some how and on his end it was more than likely that way as well. We also know that when one did advance he moved on. Did they even talk after that? We don't know!!! However he did not stick around. Hmmmmm........

We believe he wrote the Gorin No Sho though there is a possibility it was written by his students. Personally
I believe he wrote it!

We know he founded his own system!

We believe he did some artwork though this is nothing of real importance as many Samurai also did this.
Particularly in his older age because by all accounts he might not have had much to do!
Also many Japanese teachers of the Martial Science do this. Not really all that significant in any way.

We know he died and like all men or women he died just like you or I will. Because he was a man. Someone who
had dreams, aspirations, desires, etc. Just a guy who put his clothes on like everyone else!

We do know that after World War II over time the Japanese Government, people, film industry eventually came to be very
interested in the history of the Samurai again (they were sick of anything to do with war for awhile) and guess what they latched onto some principle characters and in some
cases built them up maybe way beyond their importance. I do believe Mushashi was one of them! Actually the most significant one.

If you take half of what is the story of Mushashi then you need to understand that he still was a great swordsmen. Just that
realistically during the course of his life he failed to attain certain things that he wanted. Why didn't he get a position to teach as a vassal
for a lord if he was that good? Why was he never retained again as a Samurai by another lord when he was young enough to
provide service in that capacity? (damning again) Why did he by all accounts live in a cave if he had better options? Who in their right mind lives in a cave?
That certainly is nothing to be proud about. Whether in the past or now! (I would say the same thing about a few other historical figures)

I think if you look realistically at Musashi you will find that in the end he
was just a man with all faults that men have! That includes you, me and everyone else on this board.

When I look at his life as a whole he looks like someone out of balance. Obsessed even. In the end when things are blown out of proportion it really makes me start to wonder!

I did however enjoy reading his book multiple times. Did not make me want to study his system though. That is of course no fault of his own.

All I am saying there is the legend of Musashi and then there is the truth of Mushashi. I think even with the truth he warrants us looking at his book, system and life. Just not with jaded glasses!

You are someone who is very knowledgeable so why can you not see that his legend is blown out of proportion is beyond me. In all other accounts you seem to be a realist and a pragmatic person. However, if you want to choose to believe the legend of Mushashi then by all accounts do so but you cannot expect everyone to buy into it! Lord knows you are the first one to poke holes in other systems stories. I am a realist enough person to totally look at any stories within a system whether I train in it or not and also understand that their may be a little fudging going on.

Hope all is well in Australia,

Brian

Latest Discussions