miyamoto mushashi: how to perceive intention of your opponent

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right, I'm back.

Before going through this, I'm going to say that you've completely missed the issue I've had with your comments, Brian. Not a fan of Musashi? Not a problem. Think he's over-rated, and a product more of a good publicity campaign than anything else? Again, you're not alone, and I have no issue with that. Saying his life was sad, he was pathetic, and to be pitied, based on nothing but an interpretation completely removed from any understanding and coming from your own sense of values? That, I have an issue with, especially the way it's been phrased here, as there isn't any support for that appraisal of his life (when he was living it), nor any of the other value judgments you've made.

Hey Chris,

Round 10..... :)

I think in the end that he is a historical figure who is blown way out of proportion based on what he did or did not do.

Cool... but that's not what I've been taking issue with.

My sources are not Hatsumi Sensei. No instead they are a Japanese Iaido Sensei and another Japanese Sensei. I also have
a good friend with who is Japanese and is now living back in Japan. When talking with him it is always interesting
because he is the one who has the least favorable impression of Mushashi and sees him more like a cartoon character.
I am always fascinated by non martial practitioner views in this manner. He does not buy into the legend of Mushashi.

Again, not "buying into the legend of Musashi" isn't an issue... Otake Sensei isn't a fan either, and I have no issue with that at all. But, frankly, your sources still sound very removed from any actual knowledge of Musashi, and, bluntly Brian, the fact that you have yet to be able to even spell his name correctly doesn't make you look the most informed either. But the question here is what exactly makes your Iaido and "other" Japanese instructors, or this non-martial practitioner (who, one would assume, only has the popular media to really go by anyway) informed sources on Musashi, to the point that you think someone who doesn't practice martial arts, simply by dirnt of being Japanese, is a better source than the membership of the system Musashi left for information on Musashi himself?

If we just look at the stories regarding Mushashi and understand that in the East or in the whole of the world stories over time get exaggerated
then you would come to the realization that more than likely half of what he wrote or people wrote about him are exaggerations or outright
fabrications.

Seriously? Do we need to go through the histories of the other arts we share? Do you think anything like that is an unknown possibility, or likelihood to me? Many of the stories about Musashi are known to have come more from sources like Eiji Yoshikawa's highly fictionalized book, and form no part of anything I have considered a source... why do you think I would take such things to form an opinion?

We know that he fought in one battle and his side lost and that he sure ran as hell ran to escape the slaughter! If he didn't he would be dead and
his legend would never have been!

No, actually, we don't. There are reports of him in a number of battles, none of which are absolutely verified (in fact, there are claims of him being at Sekigahara, but there is confusion as to even who's side he was on... personally, I don't think he was there at all), in one battle he was supposed to have been taken out of it by a rock thrown by a footsoldier that hit him in the leg, so "run(ning) as hell to escape" is also not in any way confirmed, or accurate. Seriously, Brian, you're listening to the wrong people.

We know that he had very little in the way of skills to make his way in the world other than utilizing his swordmanship and by all accounts his natural attributes
so that he went around challenging people to build a reputation as a swordsman. Which never led to anything for him by all accounts except the legend that is
Mushashi in the here and now.

Garbage, Brian. I've already pointed out his fame as an artist. And, yes, he did also have a reputation gained by his dueling, but to say that he had very little in the way of other skills is incorrect, and you've already been corrected and called on it.

We know he wanted to teach his system of swordsmanship and failed to be retained by a lord to do so. (which is incredibly telling or damning)

You're stretching again, Brian. He did teach his system, in a number of iterations, over a number of years, and in a number of locations. He failed to gain a position as a sword teacher to the Shogun... that's all that you know. Not anything about his teaching success outside of trying to get a single job. Tell me, if you apply for 10 jobs, and don't get all of them, do we pity you for having a sad life?

We know he killed people by his own account and anyone who has been in that situation will let you know
it changes you and if you do not have some kind of regret then more than likely you have a mental disorder
of some kind. This plays out whether it is today or back in the past.

You need to read a lot more about both the samurai mentality and the times, Brian. A lot more.

We know he had no real family by all accounts. Sure he adopted some grown men but in those type of situations it is almost always a matter of convenience. Meaning they were hoping to use him to advance their position some how and on his end it was more than likely that way as well. We also know that when one did advance he moved on. Did they even talk after that? We don't know!!! However he did not stick around. Hmmmmm........

And, again, you're overlaying your personal values on a situation you don't understand.

We believe he wrote the Gorin No Sho though there is a possibility it was written by his students. Personally
I believe he wrote it!

"We"? Who is this "we"? And, do we really need to go through this again? Hell, I covered that idea back on page 2, post #24 of this thread, two years ago http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/92110-The-book-of-5-rings/page2!

We know he founded his own system!

And? What does this have to do with anything? Was anyone disputing it?

We believe he did some artwork though this is nothing of real importance as many Samurai also did this.
Particularly in his older age because by all accounts he might not have had much to do!
Also many Japanese teachers of the Martial Science do this. Not really all that significant in any way.

Oh, for crying out loud...

We know he died and like all men or women he died just like you or I will. Because he was a man. Someone who
had dreams, aspirations, desires, etc. Just a guy who put his clothes on like everyone else!

"He died"?!?! Really?!?! You don't say!! And, gotta ask, Brian, who on earth ever disputed that he was a regular, mortal man? What image do you think other people have of him, that you need to point out that he was a real person, and really died, like other real people to bring their image of him down?

We do know that after World War II over time the Japanese Government, people, film industry eventually came to be very
interested in the history of the Samurai again (they were sick of anything to do with war for awhile) and guess what they latched onto some principle characters and in some
cases built them up maybe way beyond their importance. I do believe Mushashi was one of them! Actually the most significant one.

None of which has anything to do with the history of Musashi, or the knowledge of his actual life. You're thinking that the information I'm talking about comes from somewhere it doesn't.

If you take half of what is the story of Mushashi then you need to understand that he still was a great swordsmen. Just that
realistically during the course of his life he failed to attain certain things that he wanted. Why didn't he get a position to teach as a vassal
for a lord if he was that good? Why was he never retained again as a Samurai by another lord when he was young enough to
provide service in that capacity? (damning again) Why did he by all accounts live in a cave if he had better options? Who in their right mind lives in a cave?
That certainly is nothing to be proud about. Whether in the past or now! (I would say the same thing about a few other historical figures)

I think if you look realistically at Musashi you will find that in the end he
was just a man with all faults that men have! That includes you, me and everyone else on this board.

So, because he was a man, as any other, and didn't get absolutely everything work out perfectly in your head, we should pity him? Really? That's my issue, Brian, you can say he's not all that he's cracked up to be, but this idea that he's to be pitied for, frankly, being a real person is damn offensive. Because, by your logic, I should be pitied as well. And, frankly, I resent that.

When I look at his life as a whole he looks like someone out of balance. Obsessed even. In the end when things are blown out of proportion it really makes me start to wonder!

Then you've missed the entire point of his writings, have no knowledge of his teachings, haven't listened to a thing you've been told, and are applying your own values where they don't apply.

I did however enjoy reading his book multiple times. Did not make me want to study his system though. That is of course no fault of his own.

Pointless, Brian.

All I am saying there is the legend of Musashi and then there is the truth of Mushashi. I think even with the truth he warrants us looking at his book, system and life. Just not with jaded glasses!

Jaded glasses?!?! Are you kidding me?!?! Brian, you're the one looking with jaded glasses here... trying to see shortcomings and faults where there isn't anything. You might accuse others of looking through rose-coloured glasses, but jaded? That's what you're doing.

You are someone who is very knowledgeable so why can you not see that his legend is blown out of proportion is beyond me. In all other accounts you seem to be a realist and a pragmatic person. However, if you want to choose to believe the legend of Mushashi then by all accounts do so but you cannot expect everyone to buy into it! Lord knows you are the first one to poke holes in other systems stories. I am a realist enough person to totally look at any stories within a system whether I train in it or not and also understand that their may be a little fudging going on.

And, again, you've completely missed what I've been taking issue with, as well as missing entirely what my take on Musashi is, where it comes from, and just how realistic it is. Seriously, talk to me about the duel with Sasaki Kojiro, you'll see my take on the legend of Musashi... you're trying to paint me as worshiping him, which is incredibly far from the case. But, to be completely frank here, you are in absolutely no position to comment on the legend or history of Musashi, as you've consistently gotten it wrong.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the above is frankly not worth going over and over and over and over and over again with you Chris. Round 12.........

Frankly Chris we will have to agree or more likely disagree here. Your take on Musashi (hey I spelled it right but then again frankly I don't care as I actually do make spelling mistakes) is simply not the only one out there. Your not an expert on everything Mushashi because well frankly it is hard to be an expert on the life and times of a man that is probably more than half myth. We can only surmise on a lot of his history because well we just don't know if much of it is more than a fantasy.

I get it that you do not like the fact that I feel his life was more than likely out of balance. So what, really if one person disagrees with your perspective then you are offended? Really!!! (get a little thicker skin please) If we look at the legend of Musashi then quite frankly either you buy into it or you don't. I don't! (I'm not the only one) If you do not like that then well that is cool it does not offend me even a little bit. So if I think because he is out of balance and that I pity him. Really, that again should not bother you at all. Even if you do not agree with it. I could understand that it might bother you if you were related to him but otherwise? Really!!! I have had this conversation before with other people who believe pretty much everything about Musashi and guess what they were not offended.

However, if you have a vested interest in Musashi and or his history, legend, etc. then you have some strange nerve calling anyone else out on looking through jaded glasses. Not saying you do but if you did then sit back reevaluate what you are doing here rethink your position.

Your not by any means helping to change how people feel about the legend or fantasy that some people have of Miyomoto Musashi. Some people will buy all in and well others will be very, very, very skeptical. I am a skeptic so it is not surprising even a little bit where my perspective comes from.

We can keep dancing here but frankly you haven't brought forth anything that I did not already know. If anything you have just reinforced what I believe in that people need to be skeptical when the story is grand or simply too big.

The ball is in your court so we can continue on but frankly your not going to change my opinion on this matter! Thanks for trying though and try not to be offended if I continue to disagree with you! I really mean that Chris as from all accounts you are a good guy, smart and can really take a lot of time on these types of discussions. (whereas I have only a few minutes to make a response. So we can continue to dance but frankly it is a waste of both of our time.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Look Brian, you weren't to know, but Chris actually is living in a cave right now so has every right to be offended, just go easy!That said it is a well kept cave.And there I was thinking your mispelling of 'Muhashi' had been a deliberate pun.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Look Brian, you weren't to know, but Chris actually is living in a cave right now so has every right to be offended, just go easy!That said it is a well kept cave.And there I was thinking your mispelling of 'Muhashi' had been a deliberate pun.

On a serious note, while (to me) Musashi is a fascinating subject I can tsee how we went so off piste to the Op's question about devining or determining an opponent's intentions, or maybe this had been done to death?
Cyriacus normally has sensible comments but I have to disagree wholeheartedly with him if I follow what he is saying. In a tournamemnt sense, it is not about freezing and wasting crucial split seconds in the fight, it is about 'home work' and having an understanding of your opponent's style, weaknesses/preferences and any 'tells'/telegraphs, so when you step in the ring -while you have not ascribed to a set game plan - you are as familiar with him as possible (as Chris said, watching fight footage etc).
But there is more to it, in a SD or street altercation you will not have had the luxury of prepping but you can still in many instances assess your surroundings, the guy (and his homies) coming into your zone, assess his clothing, any potential weapons etc.
It is about determining your opponent's 'wa' and by this I mean the thug who is not even sure he is going to yet be your 'opponent'. At times you can actually sense their 'wa' before they know it themselves. This applies in tournaments and in the street - real life.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of the above is frankly not worth going over and over and over and over and over again with you Chris. Round 12.........

Frankly Chris we will have to agree or more likely disagree here. Your take on Musashi (hey I spelled it right but then again frankly I don't care as I actually do make spelling mistakes) is simply not the only one out there. Your not an expert on everything Mushashi because well frankly it is hard to be an expert on the life and times of a man that is probably more than half myth. We can only surmise on a lot of his history because well we just don't know if much of it is more than a fantasy.

I get it that you do not like the fact that I feel his life was more than likely out of balance. So what, really if one person disagrees with your perspective then you are offended? Really!!! (get a little thicker skin please) If we look at the legend of Musashi then quite frankly either you buy into it or you don't. I don't! (I'm not the only one) If you do not like that then well that is cool it does not offend me even a little bit. So if I think because he is out of balance and that I pity him. Really, that again should not bother you at all. Even if you do not agree with it. I could understand that it might bother you if you were related to him but otherwise? Really!!! I have had this conversation before with other people who believe pretty much everything about Musashi and guess what they were not offended.

However, if you have a vested interest in Musashi and or his history, legend, etc. then you have some strange nerve calling anyone else out on looking through jaded glasses. Not saying you do but if you did then sit back reevaluate what you are doing here rethink your position.

Your not by any means helping to change how people feel about the legend or fantasy that some people have of Miyomoto Musashi. Some people will buy all in and well others will be very, very, very skeptical. I am a skeptic so it is not surprising even a little bit where my perspective comes from.

We can keep dancing here but frankly you haven't brought forth anything that I did not already know. If anything you have just reinforced what I believe in that people need to be skeptical when the story is grand or simply too big.

The ball is in your court so we can continue on but frankly your not going to change my opinion on this matter! Thanks for trying though and try not to be offended if I continue to disagree with you! I really mean that Chris as from all accounts you are a good guy, smart and can really take a lot of time on these types of discussions. (whereas I have only a few minutes to make a response. So we can continue to dance but frankly it is a waste of both of our time.

Brian,

You've again missed entirely what I've been saying. And, for the record, you're misusing the term "Jaded", which is what I was saying when you first used it. You are, simply, being jaded with regards to Musashi, so accusing me of looking through "jaded glasses" is to not know what you're saying... I gave you the actual phrase you're meaning, for the record. But, when all is said and done, there is no basis to your opinion other than your personal value system. It is not supported by anything known about Musashi at all (and no, for the tenth time, I'm not referring to any part of the "legend", I'm referring to what is actually known), so it'd be like me saying that Takamatsu was a sad, pitiable looney because he spent his life learning martial arts, and had no kids... only a cat his student got for him. His life must have been so out of balance, the only thing he was any good at was waving a stick around. Is there any basis for me saying that about Takamatsu? Nope. But it's an interpretation that fits what you're saying. That's the point.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Chris, we could carry on with the dance and start talking about other things regarding Musashi. Maybe we should move on and talk about the legend surrounding his personal hygiene!That might be fun as well! Or maybe we can stop the dance and realize (which I already have) that your idea of Musashi may not simply mesh with everyone's idea of the legend of Musashi! However, we are free to carry on if you wish!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chris,

Lots of people are out of balance with there life. I do not think Musashi was the exception in this manner just one of many! ;)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brian, I agree that this is getting pointless. You have still missed the actual point, which is that your assessment of his life has no basis in anything whatsoever, and, in a number of cases, goes directly against the evidence and accounts left. This is nothing to do with any "legend", just the application of your personal views to something you don't know enough about to make comment on. I've been arguing that, perhaps, you might want to re-examine where those personal values actually fit, because they don't match anything known. Not that the legend is all completely correct, that Musashi was the greatest human ever, or anything else, just that your take is based, not on Musashi himself, but your own values. I mean, your first post here was attacking the idea of referring to Musashi as "Kensei", as you "couldn't see anything 'saintly' in his history of killing people". I explained what the term actually meant (your personal value on the word "saint" being irrelevant and inaccurate in this context), and you responded with "Oh, I know that"... if you knew it, why did you get it so badly wrong in the first place? From there, you've continued to apply your values without taking into account the fact that your view is not supported by reality, history, first-hand accounts, and so on. It's not supported by the writings left, or the teachings that Musashi left. That's been the point... you've been making judgement calls based on nothing but your personal (modern) values. I've been saying that they're not relevant to a completely different context, and are not an accurate way of viewing the man. That's it.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last word war....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously Chris you like to lead when dancing. Which is okay because I lead as well! (LOL) The fact of the point Chris is that you romanticize Musashi. You buy into the myth, legend or maybe buy into it because you have a personal stake in this legend. Myself, well I simply do not buy into the legend of Musashi. I think that as with many things told over time that much of what we know of Musashi is either blown way out of proportion or simply not true. However, I am sure that shortly you will tell me this simply could not be true and that no character out of history has ever had their story blown out of proportion!

Like I said before we can keep dancing but you simply have no historical proof that I am wrong. (I am also certainly not the only person who feels this way) You have only an opinion and a belief in the legend of Musashi! Believe away if that makes you feel good in your training but you simply cannot expect everyone else to believe exactly the way you do. With any larger than life figure you need to understand that much of what is thought to be true might not be true. I mean by all accounts Musashi is thought to have been a slob with his personal hygiene. (one more reason why I feel he was out of balance) He apparently did not bath much or take care of himself. (a fact that would be very relevant to any Japanese that he met back in time or now) That just may just be another reason why he never succeeded in achieving what he wanted as a sword instructor! You see this is just one more story of the legend of Musashi that may or may not be true. We don't know! (unless you have a time machine) However, we do know he never achieved a position as a sword instructor to a Japanese lord of during his life time. (TGace pointed that out before if you forgot)

So we can continue the dance but frankly it is certainly a waste of my time.... Maybe you have more time on your hands but I do not and would rather stop the dance as it is pointless! I really do not think you are going to change my position and frankly I know you are invested in your position....

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brian. You've said a number of times that you don't have a lot of time... might I suggest that, should you decide to use any more on this thread, you actually read what is written before spouting off the same mistakes and misunderstandings again? I have not, ever, in this or any other thread, stated that I agree that the "legend" of Musashi is historically accurate... I have, in fact, denied that a number of times. Your insistence that I "romanticize Musashi" is not supported by anything posted here, other than you repeating it, and my telling you you're way off in your estimation.

Seriously, you've missed completely what I've said, and what my take on Musashi is. You've missed entirely what the issue with your comments has been. Read the thread. And, frankly, I'll deal with your deeply offensive hypocrisy in another thread.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last word war II....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this thread has run it's course and is now merging into another thread. (unfortunately)

We will agree to disagree Chris. No hard feelings on my part!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So that's a "no, I won't read what you've said", is it?

Look, I'm going to sum up a few things here.

I've stated (a few times) that the embellished and exaggerated stories are just that. I've said that the "legend" is as much myth as anything else. I've said that I'm relying on what are considered more accurate records, from both within and without the Ryu that Musashi left himself. I have repeatedly pointed out that the impression you have of his life (that it was "sad", "to be pitied", "out of balance", "obsessed" etc) are not supported by such sources... as well as pointing out a number of instances where you're basing such an idea on inaccurate representations coming from people who don't actually know the subject. I've corrected your take on the meaning/implication of the Japanese term "Kensei" (sword saint)... after which you said "yeah, I know"... which begs the question, of course, of if you knew what the term really referred to, what was your issue with it not matching your concept of what a "saint" is like? It'd be like you complaining that you don't like going to McDonalds because you don't like the colour green, don't like the association, and don't like being surrounded by it, only to be told that the colours for McDonalds are yellow and red (as they're supposed to increase appetite, for the record), and you saying "yes, I know that already".

You've accused me of having a romanticised image, despite my pointing out where such an image is incorrect and unrealistic (using the incorrect term "jaded"... which actually refers to being cynical, not looking for positive... quite the opposite). You've refused to listen to actual information from those who are closest to the subject, instead saying you prefer to listen to your Japanese sensei (who have nothing to do with Musashi, his art, his writings, his history, or anything) because they're Japanese, and therefore "understand not only the martial but the cultural aspects that most non-Japanese have a hard time learning"... which is thoroughly irrelevant unless they're students of Musashi and his history... which is not the case you've put forth. You might as well say that you listen to Spanish people only when it comes to the life of Pablo Picasso, whether they have any knowledge of him or not. The fact that they're Japanese doesn't really mean anything... especially as we're talking a cultural separation even within Japanese ideals (the culture of Musashi's time was very different to the culture of modern Japan).

You've refused to even consider the idea that your information is not correct, refused to acknowledge that your take is based purely on your (modern, Western) values, and have no actual connection to the history of Musashi whatsoever, continued to make the same comments, even after the way they were being received was explained to you, and you're ending saying "no hard feelings?" Really? Who do you think should be having hard feelings, Brian?

Seriously, if you come back to this thread, read it. Read it before you post on it again.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last word Armageddon!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So the dance continues. (really) You have an approach to Musashi that is based on his legend. It is like you are cherry picking accepting what you like or do not like. Are you this heavily invested in his legend. One would think you have a personal stake in defending the legend of Musashi. I frankly don't see Musashi like you do. A lot of people do not see Musashi like you do. If Musashi is your hero fine. Hero worship is okay. Enjoy it just do not expect everyone else to believe exactly the way you do Chris.

Chris you continue to believe the good stuff about Musashi without taking into consideration the bad. (why are we not talking about his hygiene or lack of appointment as a sword instructor during his life)

This discussion is pointless. We are at an impasse. Feel free to have your opinion on the legend of Musashi. I know you want to be right here but frankly we are arguing over a legendary figure with what most of what we know is probably fantasy. What a waste of time! Let's be men and agree to disagree here!

Once again good luck in your training!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the dance continues. (really)

It continues because you still refuse to actually read what I've written, Brian. This entire post is evidence of that.

You have an approach to Musashi that is based on his legend.

No, for the twelfth time Brian, I don't. I have an understanding of Musashi based on the history left. You have never seen me post anything about believing in any legend... in fact, I've posted exactly the opposite.

It is like you are cherry picking accepting what you like or do not like.

Seriously? No, Brian, you're ignoring what I'm saying in favour of your beliefs of what you want me to be thinking. You have no idea what my take on Musashi is, as you have yet to open your eyes, ears, and mind enough to listen.

Are you this heavily invested in his legend.

Not in the slightest Brian. I was, however, curious as to where your negative (and ill-informed) opinion was from... but since then, I've been frustrated by your lack of ability to actually hear anything that you've been told.

One would think you have a personal stake in defending the legend of Musashi.

Please. One would think that you're so heavily invested in the opinions of your teachers who are completely removed from the subject that you're incapable of hearing any that they might not have given you the most correct information...
I frankly don't see Musashi like you do. A lot of people do not see Musashi like you do.

You have no idea how I see Musashi, Brian. You've completely failed to listen to anything I've said, or hear what you've been told, instead constantly telling me the way I view him... and never getting it right.

If Musashi is your hero fine. Hero worship is okay. Enjoy it just do not expect everyone else to believe exactly the way you do Chris.

For crying out loud, Brian, read the damn thread! Find one case, just one, of my saying that the legend is accurate, that all the stories are true, that Musashi is my hero, anything that backs up these claims you're making!

Chris you continue to believe the good stuff about Musashi without taking into consideration the bad. (why are we not talking about his hygiene or lack of appointment as a sword instructor during his life)

Brian, I've brought much of that up in many conversations over the years myself, you are basing this idea that I'm only looking at "the good" on absolutely nothing.

Read what I've written. There is nothing I've said that supports your opinion.

This discussion is pointless. We are at an impasse. Feel free to have your opinion on the legend of Musashi. I know you want to be right here but frankly we are arguing over a legendary figure with what most of what we know is probably fantasy. What a waste of time! Let's be men and agree to disagree here!

"Agree to disagree"?!?! Agree that your constant misrepresentation of my opinions is fine? No damn way, Brian. Read the thread. And it's nothing to do with me needing to be right, it's that there's no support for your ideas (either your value judgement on Musashi, nor for your take on my views), which is why I have been questioning where your ideas come from, and why you believe them... you haven't answered beyond "some Japanese teachers"... which include no-one connected to Musashi's lineage or history, and include someone who doesn't even have anything to do with martial arts at all!

Once again good luck in your training!

Right.

It is an interesting show, some based on the legend some based on the reality

Uh... no, Xue. That's honestly just a horrendously "researched" piece, filled basically from top to bottom with errors, misrepresentation, and some downright inappropriate behaviour. The way Musashi is portrayed there is in no way accurate... it might as well have been a manga comic. It should be ignored entirely.

In fact, here's a good review of the show... and Brian, this is far more the understanding of Musashi I agree with: http://www.theshogunshouse.com/2010/03/modern-sammyrai-wet-dream-history.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me....this isn't going to end unless someone admits to being wrong?

There's some pathology going on round here.....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Uh... no, Xue. That's honestly just a horrendously "researched" piece, filled basically from top to bottom with errors, misrepresentation, and some downright inappropriate behaviour. The way Musashi is portrayed there is in no way accurate... it might as well have been a manga comic. It should be ignored entirely.

In fact, here's a good review of the show... and Brian, this is far more the understanding of Musashi I agree with: http://www.theshogunshouse.com/2010/03/modern-sammyrai-wet-dream-history.html

Thanks for the critique Chris but as I said before, I don't much care, it was entertaining and as I said some based on legend and some based on reality

As for facts, this is about as close as I think anyone can really get

Miyamoto Musashi

SOURCES
Cleary, Thomas The Japanese Art of War Shambala 1991
Miyamoto Musashi (trans. Thomas Cleary) The Book of Five Rings Shambala 1994
Turnbull, Stephen The Lone Samurai and the Martial Arts Arms and Armour 1990
Yoshikawa Eiji Musashi Kodansha 1981

There is a book I am considering picking up on the topic
The Real Musashi: The Bushudenraiki (Origins of a Legend)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions