Mixed race in korea

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Master Cole the confederate flag in and of itself is not the issue it is how it was being used and who it was being directed at. it was being used to try and intimidate two young girls who walk that same route every day. The flag did not come out until they appeared. In the end I think it was a good thing because the parents got involved and they were mortified. I hope that it opened the kids eyes to the error of his ways.

Unfortunately the confederate flagg has been hijacked and used by many for the purpose of intimidating people. It is unfortunate but the case in this instance.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Master Cole the confederate flag in and of itself is not the issue it is how it was being used and who it was being directed at. it was being used to try and intimidate two young girls who walk that same route every day. The flag did not come out until they appeared. In the end I think it was a good thing because the parents got involved and they were mortified. I hope that it opened the kids eyes to the error of his ways.

Unfortunately the confederate flagg has been hijacked and used by many for the purpose of intimidating people. It is unfortunate but the case in this instance.

Yes, I understand completely, thank you. My view, and my point is to get to those guys/kids that did that via Taekwondo. Let them learn and experience some cool stuff in Taekwondo, from a person they might normal associate as a target of their prejudice.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Master Cole that is a very good idea. I think that Tkd can be a way to open minds.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Cole that is a very good idea. I think that Tkd can be a way to open minds.

For me it does. Of all the things I have done in my life, practicing taekwondo has been one of the most socially rewarding activities, through which I have made lifelong friends with people from very diverse backgrounds. The spirit of friendship continues in our dojang, which is a U.N of sorts. I -- the Kenyan Roman Catholic man married to an American Jewish woman -- am very lucky to be teaching a big group of adults of ages varying from 15-62. The group of men and women includes African-Americans, Caucasians of many origins, Vietnamese Americans, Japanese Americans, Korean-Americans, etc. Talking sex, politics and religion violates one of the unwritten laws of our dojang, but I am sure we have straight and gay, conservatives and liberals, Catholics, Protestants of many shades, atheists, etc. None of the diffences in race, color creed or social station matter when we step on our wooden dojang floor: we are too busy blocking, breathing, kicking, moving, punching and sweating to think about such minor things.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of the greatest examples I personally experienced was the 2009 USTC World TKD Leaders Trip to Korea. There we had 80 different delegates from 13 different countries. I had a chance to break bread with TKD people from South Africa, Australia, China, and Thailand, just to name a few. While the ice breaking conversation was about TKD, we soon learned how much we had in common in our everyday lives, and learned of the same struggles we have as martial artists, business owners and family members. I was able to make some good friends that I still keep in touch with today.

Latest Discussions