Mixed race in korea

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
That video is great to see. The acceptance of mixed race Korean's was a problem in the past and I am happy to see the warm reception that he is getting. Did you see the smile on his mothers face just a great video.

My kids are bi-racial Asian. I am happy to see that people are starting to put away those old beliefs. With each generation the world gets better.

I think Korea is still a homogenous country. It used to be that the mixed race children came from american soldiers and korean mothers. Now in Korea, there is a different situation developing. It seems that young people in the provinces no longer wish to farm, and as soon as they are of age, move to the big cities, mostly seoul. This is true of the women. The men who do stay and work the farms find that they do not have the opportunity to find wives. A lot tried to solve their problems by drinking. About 15-20 years ago, these farmers started getting picture brides or had arranged marriages with women from vietnam and the philippines. These women got married to these korean farmers, and they started having children. Some of the wives became homesick and left korea. Others may have suffered abuse from their alcoholic, frustrated husbands. I forget what the korean word for it is but now these children of mixed marriages are teenagers and older and are treated like outcasts.

Japan has the same sort of problem in that no one in the country areas want to farm anymore. But I do not know if the solution to that has been importing picture brides or having arranged marriages.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
These days more people seem to be addressing this type of problem in Korea. Mixed race kids are fairly often featured on television programs documenting the problems they face. I can't remember the exact statistics, but I believe it's something like 25% of marriages in the provinces are international marriages. Often the wives from southeast Asian countries can't speak Korean well or at all, so the adjustment to life in Korea can be quite difficult, and of course the children have a tough time.

I don't we are at a point here where mixed race kids are universally accepted by Korean society. I think a lot depends on what the mix is. I think white/Korean kids have an easier time than other mixed race kids in Korea. Black/Korean or southeast Asian/Korean kids experience a much more difficult time, I expect.

I think there is a perception (this may be just among expats here) that Korean society will accept mixed race people if you are "somebody." For example, Hines Ward got a nice reception here after he became famous and was the Super Bowl MVP, but if Hines Ward was a nobody mixed race guy the story would be different.

Having said that, Korean people are just like people from any other country. They have differing opinions about various issues. Some people are more open-minded than others, and some people just suck.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't we are at a point here where mixed race kids are universally accepted by Korean society. I think a lot depends on what the mix is. I think white/Korean kids have an easier time than other mixed race kids in Korea. Black/Korean or southeast Asian/Korean kids experience a much more difficult time, I expect.

I live in Busan. I loved it there. I lived in Cambodia and Singapore too but it was something about them Korean women that kept me goin back. :)
I found that Korean ppl think lowly of Black ppl, which came as a surprise to me because the Koreans that I knew in America were all cool with me and never told me about it. I remember the 1st Korean girl I went out with she said to me on our 1st date "Wow, I thought all Black ppl were dumb." LOL!! I couldnt believe shorty said that crap to me but I was cool wit it cause I knew she aint never met a Black person before. I was told that a Korean would marry a Korean 1st then a white person then another Asian but not a Black person. Dating and marrying a Black person is frowned up on. I see the problem as two fold.

1st I believe they have the "Love the oppressor syndrome," as psychologist Dr. Amos Wilson talked about. The ppl that disrespected you the most, killed and raped you the most are the ones that you love and wanna emulate. Skin bleaching is a HUGE thing in Korea and Japan. They also like to get surgery to get their eyes cut to be more Western like.

2nd I blame my own ppl for allowing ppl like Gucci Mane, Lil Wayne & Usher to be the image that other ppl only know about us. Besides from the house-negros in the US military I keep running into in Korea I didnt meet any other Black ppl. And when I was in SEA I damn sure didnt meet any other Black ppl from the States. Black ppl need to take control of our own image and not let these companies control what we and other ppl see.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think for a minute that racial issues are solved in Korea but I do believe that they are moving in the right direction. With each generation things are getting better around the world.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think Korea is still a homogenous country. It used to be that the mixed race children came from american soldiers and korean mothers. Now in Korea, there is a different situation developing. It seems that young people in the provinces no longer wish to farm, and as soon as they are of age, move to the big cities, mostly seoul.
That is very true. In my wife's village, there is hardly anyone under the age of 40 that lives there. I would almost say the average age looks to be about late 50's early 60's. Most of the kids have moved to the bigger cities such as Seoul and Suwon. However a lot more are starting to migrate to Cheonju, Busan, and major cities due to the development going on. A mixed blessing for my wife's hometown is that they are starting to develop high price housing right up the mountain from her home, while this will bring in more people to the area it will also destroy a lot of the natural beauty of the mountains.

puunui said:
This is true of the women. The men who do stay and work the farms find that they do not have the opportunity to find wives. A lot tried to solve their problems by drinking. About 15-20 years ago, these farmers started getting picture brides or had arranged marriages with women from vietnam and the philippines. These women got married to these korean farmers, and they started having children. Some of the wives became homesick and left korea. Others may have suffered abuse from their alcoholic, frustrated husbands. I forget what the korean word for it is but now these children of mixed marriages are teenagers and older and are treated like outcasts.
As it was pointed out this has been a big issue not being displayed in the Korean media. They have addressed in their dramas and have talk shows specifically geared towards mixed race marriages, where they interview women from India, Philippines, Ecuador, etc. Many of the women that are brought over are from very impoverished areas in their country and by marrying a Korean farmer they are actually taking a step up on the economic ladder. Not to mention that they too are hard workers so they tend to be more helpful on the farms. The kids, usually called Hyunyul (mixed blood), tend to face problems down the road once they get into late elementary school or middle school.

Star status does play a big role of acceptance in their society, but no more than it does here or anywhere else in the world. A mix of black and Korean was nearly unheard of, but is now becoming more accepted due to people like Wesley Snipes who married a native Korean woman and other celebrity mixed children. There is a very popular singer In, Soon-i who is mixed black and Korean. She has an awesome voice, btw...She spoke about how her Korean grandmother would scrub her harshly because she was trying to get the blackness off her skin, thinking that it was dirt (literally). She struggled a lot but now is one of the most revered singers over there.

kh said:
1st I believe they have the "Love the oppressor syndrome," as psychologist Dr. Amos Wilson talked about. The ppl that disrespected you the most, killed and raped you the most are the ones that you love and wanna emulate. Skin bleaching is a HUGE thing in Korea and Japan. They also like to get surgery to get their eyes cut to be more Western like.
Not quite sure where you are going with this but if you are following the "love the oppressor syndrome" theory then they would try to emulate Japan. Since it was Japanese who try to erase their whole culture, and is responsible for many atrocities such as kidnapping women to serve in their brothels for Japanese soldiers.
Jaeimseu said:
Having said that, Korean people are just like people from any other country. They have differing opinions about various issues. Some people are more open-minded than others, and some people just suck.
That is true. While walking with my wife, I have overheard people saying calling her a whore because she was with me. My favorite though was when some Korean guy told her she should be eating kimchi not hamburger. I told him hamburger has more meat. :) I am lucky though, and quite shocked too, that her parents and her village were extremely kind and accepting of me. I found that it is mostly younger generation Koreans who tend to have issues with the mix marriages more than the older generation.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In regards to the generations I have heard that the older generation has a problem with it. You have more of direct knowledge than I do. It is counter intuitive though. I will certainly bow to your experience. I wonder if others have a different experience?

The experience that I have is the Korean's of this mind set tend to have a problem with all mixed race kids. It is a sliding scale though.

I hesitate to label all Korean's because all are not of this pathetic mind set if they were it would render this topic mute.

I do know several Korean's who don't have a problem with mixed race. Having said that it does seem to be a cultural issue at this time.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In regards to the generations I have heard that the older generation has a problem with it. You have more of direct knowledge than I do. It is counter intuitive though. I will certainly bow to your experience. I wonder if others have a different experience?

I can only speak from my particular experience. Before going over there, I studied up on traditional customs from formal bowing all the way to drinking customs. I did my best to "be Korean" when I was over there, so that might have been the reason why I older generations liked me and younger generations did not. Older generations may have had a problem with it and just kept it to themselves, the younger generation were definitely more vocal about it.

The experience that I have is the Korean's of this mind set tend to have a problem with all mixed race kids. It is a sliding scale though.

I hesitate to label all Korean's because all are not of this pathetic mind set if they were it would render this topic mute.

I do know several Korean's who don't have a problem with mixed race. Having said that it does seem to be a cultural issue at this time.
Yes, I agree the any issues are based on a sliding scale, and not all Koreans are like this. I have found Koreans to be some of the most hospitable people I have met and if you tried your best to speak the language and fit in, they were even more hospitable. I found this in both touring with my wife and doing business over there.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the kids have moved to the bigger cities such as Seoul and Suwon. However a lot more are starting to migrate to Cheonju, Busan, and major cities due to the development going on. A mixed blessing for my wife's hometown is that they are starting to develop high price housing right up the mountain from her home, while this will bring in more people to the area it will also destroy a lot of the natural beauty of the mountains.

One of the reasons I believe for building the Taekwondo Park in Muju, which is far away from Seoul, is because Samsung (who owns the land that is under the Taekwondo Park) wants to build up the area as a tourist attraction, so that there are more jobs away from the main cities.

Not quite sure where you are going with this but if you are following the "love the oppressor syndrome" theory then they would try to emulate Japan.

I think Korea wants to emulate Japan in some ways and the US in others. Korean companies use Japan companies as a business model for example (Samsung is Korea's Sony; Hyundae is Korea's Toyota), but for culture, the younger generation of Koreans look to the US, so much so that the older Koreans are feeling like Korea is losing its culture because the young people are becoming so Americanized.

I am lucky though, and quite shocked too, that her parents and her village were extremely kind and accepting of me.

It's not surprising. You're a nice guy, polite, respectful, and you take the time to learn the culture. What is there not to like?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can only speak from my particular experience. Before going over there, I studied up on traditional customs from formal bowing all the way to drinking customs. I did my best to "be Korean" when I was over there, so that might have been the reason why I older generations liked me and younger generations did not. Older generations may have had a problem with it and just kept it to themselves, the younger generation were definitely more vocal about it.

Yes, I agree the any issues are based on a sliding scale, and not all Koreans are like this. I have found Koreans to be some of the most hospitable people I have met and if you tried your best to speak the language and fit in, they were even more hospitable. I found this in both touring with my wife and doing business over there.

I think this is most certainly true. People who come to Korea and make the effort to speak the language and understand the locals have a much better experience than those who don't.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I live in Busan. I loved it there. I lived in Cambodia and Singapore too but it was something about them Korean women that kept me goin back. :)
I found that Korean ppl think lowly of Black ppl, which came as a surprise to me because the Koreans that I knew in America were all cool with me and never told me about it. I remember the 1st Korean girl I went out with she said to me on our 1st date "Wow, I thought all Black ppl were dumb." LOL!! I couldnt believe shorty said that crap to me but I was cool wit it cause I knew she aint never met a Black person before. I was told that a Korean would marry a Korean 1st then a white person then another Asian but not a Black person. Dating and marrying a Black person is frowned up on. I see the problem as two fold.

I think this is probably true, but not only for racial reasons. I think most parents want their children to marry a person who will provide the best future for them. In most cases, the person who will provide the best future will be another Korean. Westerners in Korea are usually English teachers, military, or back-packer/travelers who don't speak Korean and have little to no interest in learning the language/culture or staying in Korea long-term. It's not altogether surprising then that most parents would rather their kids marry a well-educated Korean instead.

There are certainly lots of skin whitening products on the market and plastic surgery (especially eye-lid surgery) is quite common. Some of that is influenced by the West, but I think some of it, especially skin whitening, is partly due to the perception of people with darker skin doing outside/manual labor type jobs.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmm, the eye thing....
it seems to be a universal thing: big round eyes are more endearing. It's ingrained, hardwired. Its what makes Tom and Jerry pleasing.

And the lighter skin is also an old thing, in pretty much any culture. Only in recent years - relatively speaking - has being tanned become a beauty symbol. before that, the pale skin was treasured.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of the reasons I believe for building the Taekwondo Park in Muju, which is far away from Seoul, is because Samsung (who owns the land that is under the Taekwondo Park) wants to build up the area as a tourist attraction, so that there are more jobs away from the main cities.
As you already know I have mix feelings about the park. While they claim to be building something that will display culture and traditions of Korea they are, at the same time destroying a lot of nice scenery and moving a whole and moving a whole village to build. I was very vocal about that at the last meeting with the developers when we were in Korea last time. I think that building the park will bring a lot of needed foreign tourisim to that area and will definitely build some jobs. So again, I am mixed on it.

puunui said:
I think Korea wants to emulate Japan in some ways and the US in others. Korean companies use Japan companies as a business model for example (Samsung is Korea's Sony; Hyundae is Korea's Toyota), but for culture, the younger generation of Koreans look to the US, so much so that the older Koreans are feeling like Korea is losing its culture because the young people are becoming so Americanized.
Ironicly Korean music culture is making a big hit over in America. K-pop is one of the most listen to music around the world next to American pop. Many of the 2nd and 3rd generation Koreans are making their way back to Korea to try out for the groups.

puunui said:
It's not surprising. You're a nice guy, polite, respectful, and you take the time to learn the culture. What is there not to like?
Thank you sir, just for that the first round of makkoli in Korea is on me :). Some may agree with you and others may not, but I do my best to be me. I believe in trying to fit into any culture by immersing myself into it to better understand where I am at.

Bagehot

White Belt
Reaction score
Pearl Buck:
"When people hear the name "Pearl S. Buck, " they are first reminded of her famous novel, The Good Earth. Also, many people recognize her as being the first woman to be awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. But not many people know that she wrote another masterpiece, The Living Reed, a novel set in Korea's Joseon Dynasty and that she did humanitarian work in Korea for about ten years.

"During the early 1960s, Pearl S. Buck visited Korea to do some writing. While writing The Living Reed, she established the Orphanage and Opportunity Center in Bucheon City (formerly Sosa) to serve Amerasian Children in 1965."

http://www.pearlsbuck.or.kr/eng/databank/pearlsbuck.html

"There are also voices of reflection using the opportunity to call for the correction of mistaken perceptions of mixed-race individuals. It’s said that Ward experienced the hardship of ostracism from even Korean-American society because he was mixed-race. One netizen pointed out, “If Ward had continued to live in Korea, he would have been teased as a twigi (a Korean term of derision for mixed-race people) and would have been unable to properly attend school… We must end our society’s exclusionary ethnic nationalism that views mixed-race people through colored glasses.” There are even calls for us to learn the cultural inclusiveness of American society that made Ward’s success possible."

http://www.rjkoehler.com/2006/02/08/hines-ward-and-the-hardships-of-mixed-race-koreans/

-- Bagehot

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife was brought to the USA by her older sister. The older sister bitterly opposed our marraige, and tried to poison her family against me. When I went back to Korea after we got married, I was not looking forward to meeting her mother (or her sister who had also returned to Korea with her husband). Her mother turned out to be one of the most gracious and loving people anyone could ever hope to meet. I got along with all her family. It was actually more than just getting along. Her mother moved in with us and became a part of our family. When we went out into the Korean areas, if she perceived a need, she fiercely defended me and helped me be accepted. She was quite a lady.

My recollections of experiences in Korea are mostly favorable. But I think things have changed a lot. I don't know how much I would enjoy it there now.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
These conversatios are good varied experiences and perceptions. I think that we can all agree that bigotry is bad no matter what place it is coming from! My daughter and her friend were confronted with it at school with a confederate flag waving idiot. The school dealt with it in a very good manner the police became involved and it was squelched. My daughter handled it perfectly reported to the school told us and we made sure that it was handled to its proper conclusion. I was very impressed with how the school handled it. My daughter I am always proud of.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are certainly lots of skin whitening products on the market and plastic surgery (especially eye-lid surgery) is quite common. Some of that is influenced by the West, but I think some of it, especially skin whitening, is partly due to the perception of people with darker skin doing outside/manual labor type jobs.

Yeah but you also gotta think about the image that is put forth of the beautiful woman with the porcelain skin. All the models and tv stars and etc.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
These conversatios are good varied experiences and perceptions. I think that we can all agree that bigotry is bad no matter what place it is coming from! My daughter and her friend were confronted with it at school with a confederate flag waving idiot. The school dealt with it in a very good manner the police became involved and it was squelched. My daughter handled it perfectly reported to the school told us and we made sure that it was handled to its proper conclusion. I was very impressed with how the school handled it. My daughter I am always proud of.

Were they jus wavin the confederate flag or were they sayin thing too?
Because jus wavin the flag and not talkin or inciting hateful speech.....I dont see the problem.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saying things to... Why did they pull it out when the half Asian girl and the African American girl walked by. They were threatening and trying to intimidate them. I had to deal with this BS all my life never thought that I would have to deal with it in Nevada

The school took it as serious issue because it was and they handled it appropriately.

Latest Discussions