Mitose/Chow documents to be released

K

Karazenpo

Here's something very interesting. Dr. Ted Sumner just received more Mitose documents from Gm. Thomas Barro Mitose that he will be scanning to post in a few days on his San Jose Kenpo Karate site. These included documents of Professor Chow in the form of his application for a birth certificate and related affidavits. These documents have Chow's actual signature which now can be compared to any certificate of rank promotion anyone has bearing Chow's name.

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just read Mr. Sumner's post. I don't think it says he got the Documents from TMB. I could be reading it wrong, or missinterpreting it. Please double check it Joe and let me Know what you think.

kell

OP
K

Karazenpo

kelly keltner said:
I just read Mr. Sumner's post. I don't think it says he got the Documents from TMB. I could be reading it wrong, or missinterpreting it. Please double check it Joe and let me Know what you think.

kell

Thanks, Kell. You're right. Don't know where I got that from unless I read something in another forum and it stuck in my mind but I stand corrected on the source. It is not Gm. Thomas B. Mitose. Sorry about that!

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hard to figure if James Mitose ever told the truth during his life.
His "Marriage Certificate" says he was "22 years old". It also says he "resided in Hawaii 22 years".
Now didn't he claim to have lived in Japan several of those 22 years?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I am not wrong I did the math on interview with Chow's father-18 kids in 14 yrs if my math ain't bad.

todd

OP
M

M.C. Busman

I suspect not. I wonder if J Mitose was deceptive by nature, or learned to be such through some external influence.

Notice J Mitose listed his occupation on his marriage cert as jewelry salesman.

Compare & contrast the Divorce decree wherein Mrs. Mitose resumes her maiden name of Yoshida w/ Mitose's listing of her name as Komatsu.

I enjoyed the picture of the young Chow on his application for HI birth.

Y'all Take Care,

M.C. Busman

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
Here's something very interesting. Dr. Ted Sumner just received more Mitose documents from Gm. Thomas Barro Mitose that he will be scanning to post in a few days on his San Jose Kenpo Karate site. These included documents of Professor Chow in the form of his application for a birth certificate and related affidavits. These documents have Chow's actual signature which now can be compared to any certificate of rank promotion anyone has bearing Chow's name.

Hats off (again) to Mr. Sumner. This is like a feast.

Matt

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
His "Marriage Certificate" says he was "22 years old". It also says he "resided in Hawaii 22 years".
Oh man....... John.... You are the best!

I luv ya man!

:asian:

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
The claim is 17 years that he lived in Japan, leaving when he was, like 3 years old. Quite a busy time, Mitose learned up to a mastery level.
Ken(m)po - Hard style striking (which he taught)
Ken(m)po - Soft Style striking (which he taught to some degree)
Throwing arts- Which he did not teach
Spear arts-which he did not teach
Sword arts-which he did'nt teach
Rounding out his education was caligraphy, healing arts and a complete study of every religion on the face of the earth (Whew!)

The more documents are released the darker it gets

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
The claim is 17 years that he lived in Japan, leaving when he was, like 3 years old. Quite a busy time, Mitose learned up to a mastery level.
Ken(m)po - Hard style striking (which he taught)
Ken(m)po - Soft Style striking (which he taught to some degree)
Throwing arts- Which he did not teach
Spear arts-which he did not teach
Sword arts-which he did'nt teach
Rounding out his education was caligraphy, healing arts and a complete study of every religion on the face of the earth (Whew!)

The more documents are released the darker it gets
That's the typical problem with history "according to James Mitose". Even the "21st Great Grandmaster" can't be in two countries at the same time.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry guys ... I know I should be respectful and tolerant of all, but I have to <<insert snicker here>>
boxing_smiley.gif
wonder at just how this stirs everyone up. Once again, we all have opinions, and so far, I see few of those changing because of alleged "empirical" evidence. We will beleive what we want to, or what we are taught by our seniors, and defend our own systems, styles or lineages vehemently, regardless of other's opinions or evidence.

Just look at Bush / Reagan now ... or better the VP debate. Contradictions galore, but how do they affect the staunch supporters ... about the same as "new" evidence" does here.

Ah well, I guess ya'll must enjoy the dialogue much more so than me.

-Michael

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i think its funny how one man has created so much controversy and how many people care.

shawn

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When the historical basis is used to shore up a claim of superiority or soverienty it becomes a issue.

You cannot to be studing a art going back to the middle ages, that cannot be improved cuz it stood the test of time-and not have any evidence as to your claims
Todd

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
people spend a lot of time talking about improving something........tell me how you improve nature?

this is going off topic though

shawn

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
When the historical basis is used to shore up a claim of superiority or soverienty it becomes a issue.

You cannot to be studing a art going back to the middle ages, that cannot be improved cuz it stood the test of time-and not have any evidence as to your claims
Todd
Not necessarily. Has the art stood the test of time regardless of the political or social upheavals? Of course it does. The feeling of superiority one may, or may not feel, in being right - actually has more bearing on why people debate and dig for the histiorical fact patterns. Unfortunatly it is a unique individual that actually allows him or herself to be swayed from familiar territory into what they perceive as an attack on their art, their founders, or themselves as practitioners of said art.

This is obviously not unique to the martial arts, and history is being rewritten every day .... usually by the "winners" or "survivors".

Way, way off topic. I am bowing out unless needed as a SMod.

smileJap.gif

-Michael

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

It is getting pretty well covered, you have to admit, for the good or bad of it.

The information is being brought to the forefront, discussed and rehashed. Now information is coming that might, make the picture harder to see or easier if you are looking for the truth or looking for answers, or to say he was a very dishonest person.

But he was a good martial artist and that is the criteria we are after when being taught Kempo.

I think the information can still be inturpreted both ways, or more then two ways, lets say many ways.

The japanese in that time and place were known for there standing statement as to the three faces they show to the world.

This thread is similar to an investigation after the fact, some times when removed from the scene you are able to see the forest and the trees.

It might be hard for some to understand the desire to have as much information as Hanshi has, he has explained it so many times he is sick of the story and the subject.

I will clairify that statement, he has a lot of information that others do not, he feels that what he is teaching is the art handed down to him by James Mitose.

One of the things that Mitose wanted was for his name to be remembered for
along time after he is gone. So that is why it is still spoken and rehashed, sort of making a deal and sticking with it.

There is a story and that is what we want the people who are investigating to see and to make up their minds based on data and what the people in Kempo and Kenpo have to say before it is put into a documentary and misconstrued again.

Regards, Gary

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
people spend a lot of time talking about improving something........tell me how you improve nature?

this is going off topic though

shawn
Spend a night sleeping beneath a tree, then spend a night sleeping in your own bed and then ask me again!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Not necessarily. Has the art stood the test of time regardless of the political or social upheavals? Of course it does. The feeling of superiority one may, or may not feel, in being right - actually has more bearing on why people debate and dig for the histiorical fact patterns. Unfortunatly it is a unique individual that actually allows him or herself to be swayed from familiar territory into what they perceive as an attack on their art, their founders, or themselves as practitioners of said art.

This is obviously not unique to the martial arts, and history is being rewritten every day .... usually by the "winners" or "survivors".

Way, way off topic. I am bowing out unless needed as a SMod.

smileJap.gif

-Michael
I guess when you are talking the art has stood the trest of time you mean from the middle ages, or the 1940's?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ask me about sleeping under a tree and in my own bed......ok. thats human ingenuity.....quite natural. you were saying?

shawn

Latest Discussions