Misfit and outcast

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm also in the geek crowd. I got beat up every day! I joined Martial Arts mostly to have something to do after school and to build my self confidence. It helped me lose a lot of weight in my younger days.

Though when I got to high school, I got heavily involved in Music and that gave me a place to belong. And unfortunately took up all of my spare time, so my training got put on hold for a few years.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I chose to move around different groups. I usually felt comfortable with the nerds. To this day I enjoy roleplaying games.

I have been training in MA since I was a kid. I rarely met anyone in school that trained in any MA (this was good for me...hehe). The few fights I have been in at school was due to my skin color or height.

Peace.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Different groups here too but I always tend to be one geek or the other...either technology geek or the gamer geek...or then this one time, at band camp............... :lol2:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
How many of us was either a misfit or outcast while we where in school because of our MA training and what did you do to control yourself and continue your training, how did you deal with the peer pressure of it all?

Going by the view of the Popular group, though I knew quite a few, I would say I was definitely an outcast. At lunch, I'd sit all alone at my very own table. I've always been a loner and have always done what I wanted to. So, though my M.A. training caused laughs, it never bothered me honestly. I just did my own thing as I always have.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I regret not being exposed to MA when I was in School.

I was your typical music and science geek. I wrestled in school but I preferred to work after school instead. $$$$$$$

Let me see....roll around with a bunch of sweaty immature guys ...or.....
make money to take the girls out on weekends??????? :ultracool

I was small and an easy target. I grew 4 inches after graduation and within 2 yrs put on 30lbs of muscle. I used to think it just wasn't fair.

20yrs later @ my HS reunion, all the jocks, prom queen and "cool" people
look like hell. I look and feel 10 yrs younger thanks to my MA training which I started @ 30yrs old.

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!%-}

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
look like hell. I look and feel 10 yrs younger thanks to my MA training which I started @ 30yrs old.

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!%-}
I feel ya. Let's hear it for the late bloomers. :partyon:
Never been to a high school reunion, for the very reason I don't want to see all those 'cool' people. But I'll be 56 in a few weeks, and can still plow circles around the 16-yr-olds I teach, whether in the classroom or the training hall. And that's from MA (I started at 42--I think). So let's see, 56 minus 16=...*takes off shoes and uses toes to count*...I was 40 when they were born. Ain't Martial Arts grand? :highfive:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Different groups here too but I always tend to be one geek or the other...either technology geek or the gamer geek...or then this one time, at band camp............... :lol2:

Com'awn, Carol, don't hold out. I want to hear about band camp. ;)

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto here. I've noticed a disproportionate number of geeks in the martial arts, probably for this reason.

I strongly resemble that remark....I was called a "closet nerd" in high school and college, because, at least in high school, I was the biggest, strongest kid in school. I was also a star 3 sport athlete. But when my sports teammates wanted to go drink beer and get laid, I preferred to go home and set up my telescope in my backyard and check out the skies, or just stay up all night reading a good science or philosophy book. Went on to play football for a major college, but still never fit in, for the above-mentioned reasons. Just couldn't identify with the typical "jock" mentality. At the same time, the other "nerds" didn't fully accept me because of my athletic reputation.
Spent a couple of years in college as a bouncer in a pretty rowdy place. I was able to take care of myself and keep control because of my size and strength. Got into martial arts because the brawling fighting style I had as a bouncer seemed so awkward, and I knew as I aged, I would need actual skill rather than force to protect myself, if necessary. Haven't been in a fight in 24 years, but still one of my best decisions ever.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!%-}

I had the identical experience! I was kind to all I encountered, but I laughed all the way home. Kids who wouldn't even talk to me in high school, looking like hell and leading miserable lives...meekly telling me how great I looked... I remind my own kids about this experience often when they seem to feel like they need to impress a peer for some reason.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Like some of you I wish I had found MA during high school rather then 15 years afterwards... but rather late then never I guess.

I was a loner in high school - and still am except for my friends in the dojang and the guys on the fire dept.

MA have helped me in gaining a great deal of self confidence and I've more adept at dealing with people.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In high school -- not a geek, not a nerd, not a jock (though I was on school teams for 3 out of the 4 years, and even got a school letter), just "there." A little (OK... probably more than a little) odd and "unique." I think that's the word that showed up a lot in my yearbook...

I had friends in some of the "cool" groups -- and in the "outcast/misfit" groups, too. A little too straitlaced for a lot of folks. (Still am.) Had a core of friends that were mostly a little offbeat, too...

But, I was definitely a loner. Lots of reasons, none of which led me to martial arts.

Started formal martial arts my senior year; continued training to this day.

Oh... and I've got a very dry & subtle sense of humor. Really -- I do joke. It's just that lots of people don't notice...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh... and I've got a very dry & subtle sense of humor. Really -- I do joke. It's just that lots of people don't notice...

Try putting away the gun and the nightstick first, JKS. (Just kidding...) :lol:

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A follower of trends I was / am not. Followed my own path I did / do. This helped in getting my a** kicked many times during my early H.S. years. Never more.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, it appears I go against the grain here. Never really a nerd, geek, or a jock, or even a bit unique all through school. I trained in Judo, for a short time at one school, but as-per-usual we moved away and I didn't continue when we got to the new location. I can relate to Kacey and always being the "new kid" pop on top of that for my High School years not only was I the New Kid, but also a "PK" (Preachers Kid). 9th and 10th grade to add insult to injury I was "That GD Yankee" in a small hick town outside of Dallas. Not a competitive bone in my body during school years so no sports, but with all the moving I did develop a strikingly good Left jab followed by a Right Cross (Pun intended) that generally put the "testing of the New Guy" to bed within a week or so of going to a new school. Once that first fight was over with and you got to go back to school after a "vacation" I tended to slide into the background and just put in my time. The passion for the arts came several years later, and they have brought out my more pleasant, sociable side. I owe a LOT to the arts and just wish I could have trained while in school because I think I would have enjoyed being there more than I did. Somewhat of a misfit, but that would depend on who you talked to. I fit in with everybody, just didn't hang out with any one crowd in particular.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Having a crossed eye, glasses, a high IQ, biker parents and living in a small town made me an outcast when I was a child and I got in a lot of fights because I had to much spirit to stand for being messed with by a bunch of yocals, who were destined to never leave that small town.

As a young teen I was an outcast because I was white in a school that was 75% minority, then as an older teen, having long hair and listening to hardcore metal and punk did not rub well with many of the above mentioned and the jocks.

Martial arts and practicle application, provided by bullies and jerks, as well as the criminals in my hood made me a decent fighter and why my focus is always on real fighting before any higher MA ideals or sport fighting, that said, the arts gave me more confedence and control as I got older.

By 18 I was pretty popular, as I was a guitarist, could scrap and had a large groupd of freinds (Metal heads became cool in the age of grunge, girls who would not talk to me in HS, now wanted to.....)

Hell I am still an outcast sometimes, I just got a mohawk at 34 years of age.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still considered and outcast because at my age I would rather learn or teach some hand-to-hand stuff than take it easy...

Latest Discussions