Misfit and outcast

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of us was either a misfit or outcast while we where in school because of our MA training and what did you do to control yourself and continue your training, how did you deal with the peer pressure of it all?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I started, eons ago... I kept it to myself until I had to use it. Basically I was the token whipping boy at my school(s). The nerd (now known as geeks) that was the easy pickings when the bullies were having a bad day from class (home) their teachers (and parents) and thus they needed to have someone take their mad out on.
Wasn't always successful, wasn't always effective but ... but most of the bullies left me alone soon after a while when I fought back. Mebbe it's the loss of easy prey or the possibility that I actually hurt them ... maybe not as badly as they hurt me but they must've walked away hurtin' because they mostly avoided me or better put... ignored me.
Went all through the rest of my life like that. Never talking openly about it, never getting crazy with it. Just kept it to myself until I had to use it. Of that I can be proud of myself for. Made me look less of a fool in front of my peers, not running off at the mouth and bragging I'm learning this (art) or that. Couple of my friends knew but only because they confided that they were training as well in whatever art they were learning at the time.
It's the way it should be.

not to mention it's fun seeing the looks on the (bullies and later attackers) faces when I "whip out my mojo on 'em!" :lol: Like... where the hell did that come from?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because of being in martial art? Not for that reason. I was a misfit and outcast for other reasons (primarily because I'm deaf). I've learned how to live with it and get "get out of myself" to become friends with others. Being in martial arts, however, helped me to feel more confident with myself.

- Ceicei

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because of being in martial art? Not for that reason. I was a misfit and outcast for other reasons (primarily because I'm deaf). I've learned how to live with it and get "get out of myself" to become friends with others. Being in martial arts, however, helped me to feel more confident with myself.

- Ceicei

Very well put

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I started, eons ago... I kept it to myself until I had to use it. Basically I was the token whipping boy at my school(s). The nerd (now known as geeks) that was the easy pickings when the bullies were having a bad day from class (home) their teachers (and parents) and thus they needed to have someone take their mad out on.
Wasn't always successful, wasn't always effective but ... but most of the bullies left me alone soon after a while when I fought back. Mebbe it's the loss of easy prey or the possibility that I actually hurt them ... maybe not as badly as they hurt me but they must've walked away hurtin' because they mostly avoided me or better put... ignored me.
Went all through the rest of my life like that. Never talking openly about it, never getting crazy with it. Just kept it to myself until I had to use it. Of that I can be proud of myself for. Made me look less of a fool in front of my peers, not running off at the mouth and bragging I'm learning this (art) or that. Couple of my friends knew but only because they confided that they were training as well in whatever art they were learning at the time.
It's the way it should be.

not to mention it's fun seeing the looks on the (bullies and later attackers) faces when I "whip out my mojo on 'em!" :lol: Like... where the hell did that come from?

I love the last part.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
*raises hand*

Causality ran the other way. I got into martial arts because I was a misfit, not the other way around.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
MIsfit, outcast, nerd, geek, spaz....yes, all monikers I wore growing up. Probably why I eventually went into MA (tired of getting beat up and had a strong desire to be the pounder and not the poundee).

MA training never made me an outcast...if anything it gave me some framework on which to build some self-esteem. It's taken me 36 years, but now I wave my freak flag proudly. What made me a misfit in my youth has made me a contributing valuable member of society as an adult. Go figure.

Peace,
Erik

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was an outcast because of my weight..The MA didn't come until much later...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I was a student athlete and fitted in very well at school. MAs were an interest that I chose to explore and continue to do so.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I was a student athlete and fitted in very well at school. MAs were an interest that I chose to explore and continue to do so.

A Jock..Quick hide the stash...LOL..

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was an athlete in school and I was treated like an outcast. I was beaten almost every day by the same group of guys. I had one friend and he had no other friends except me. I had been training since childhood and refused to use it for fear of my father beating me worse when I got home. I later broke out of my father's training and took up EPAK in the hopes of one day getting even with the beaters. After several different schools and styles I stopped looking for revenge.

So, not all "jocks" were treated good.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was an athlete in school and I was treated like an outcast. I was beaten almost every day by the same group of guys. I had one friend and he had no other friends except me.

Kinda my story till Junior High. Got a little size after that, took up wrestling and boxing (Asian arts were still exotic and hard to find locally in those days), and suddenly the tables were turned. But as searcher said, even then I didn't hunt them down....But I guess there's still time. :D

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hmmm i was already a loner before i took MA, if anything MA gave me more friends, heheheh nice benefit eh

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started TKD in college; as others have said, I was an outcast in school for other reasons, primarily that we moved a lot; I went to 9 schools in 5 different states between kindergarten and high school graduation, so I was almost always "the new kid".

As with Ceicei, TKD gave me more confidence, and made me more comfortable with myself; I was not into sports growing up, and was always just a little uncoordinated and awkward, and because of the moving around, my hobbies tended to be solitary ones, so TKD also gave me a place to make friends and a source of social activities that I hadn't had before.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was an athlete in school and I was treated like an outcast. I was beaten almost every day by the same group of guys. I had one friend and he had no other friends except me. I had been training since childhood and refused to use it for fear of my father beating me worse when I got home. I later broke out of my father's training and took up EPAK in the hopes of one day getting even with the beaters. After several different schools and styles I stopped looking for revenge.

Yeah, especially not when they are girls and refuse to play netball.(or the equivilent "female" specific sports that are played in parts of the world outside of Aust.) Bloody stupid game, is there any other "sport" in the known universe where you are prohibited from running once you get the ball??

At school i was a geek jock arty weirdo that played RPG's and sang in the choir, so it's fair to say that i attracted my fair share of attention from the school thugs. Especially once i came out.

I wish i wish i wish i had been able to do martial arts when i was in school... i did weightlifting instead and was the only chick in the class. Once the fellas saw i was serious, they let me join in their arm wrestles etc, but other than that superficial bonding it was a very lonely time.

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Quite interesting that there is a "cultural phenomeon" of sorts, that misfits and "loners" tend to turn to MAs as a means to express themselves.

I was, and still am, pretty much considered a misfit, outcast and straight out "weirdo" during my younger days. I didn't learn martial arts formally during that time, but I don't doubt that those experiences have an impact on me and are partly influential in my decision to take up MAs.

Recently, I bumped into an old classmate in a MA gathering event, and I was shocked to see her there. She was very much like me, an outcast in school, and she was really the nerdy and bookworm kind of girl. Despite her short and nerdish stature, she is now taking up MMA and Karate and I was impressed by her performance. She's definitely not the nerdy bookwormish outcast I used to know.

I think for those of us who belong in this category, there is definitely something empowering abt taking up MA that improves ourself-esteem. I know for myself, personally I could reach into my memory, and dig up those alienating experiences, and use them to motivate and push me in my training. While I don't hold a grudge towards those peers who gave me an unhappy childhood (we were all immature kids at some point in our lives), I don't deny that there is still a strong sense in me to prove that I am not the same "loser" they made me out to be.

But now I am not interested to prove to others. Only myself.

Latest Discussions