How Young Is Too Young?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What age group do you feel kids should start? Many schools that I've seen start as young as 4yrs old. Do you feel that is too young to start? If so, why? If you feel that 4 is too young, what age do you think is best for the child to get the most out of the training?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
They do say that children of 3 to 5 have astounding learning abilities. I don't find this surprising as it is an important adaptation to survival that has stayed with us. They may not understand what they are learning, but they will very likely retain it.

I do find that there is a coordination issue with children this young which could result in their having to relearn some things, but perhaps MAs is a good way to learn how to use their body.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
it all depends on the child, there are basic skills that a child must have before they can even begin anything...basic motor skills...not all 4 year olds are made the same...so I belive in order to have a toddler class, there should be a basic test before the student can even begin classes, and the test should be done privatly with the child and the parent, basic instructional things...go get me the ball..touch your toes, take 5 big steps...that kind of thing..

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
it all depends on the child, there are basic skills that a child must have before they can even begin anything...basic motor skills...not all 4 year olds are made the same...so I belive in order to have a toddler class, there should be a basic test before the student can even begin classes, and the test should be done privatly with the child and the parent, basic instructional things...go get me the ball..touch your toes, take 5 big steps...that kind of thing..

That's a good idea.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really depends on what you are teaching and how. I think 4 is definately too young to be learning kata or line up and count of reps training, but basic wrestling through a lot of one on one time with someone older? No problem.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depending on your goals, it may never be too young to start learning martial arts. Even infants can be brought up seeing their parents train and hearing the important message of martial arts. As soon as they're old enough to mimic, they can start training.

That said, we won't take 'em younger than 4 at my school, and 4 is for special cases.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It really all depends on the individual child. I've done introductory lessons with kids who were three that were just fine. I've also had five year olds where I advised the parents to wait six months and try it again.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depending on your goals, it may never be too young to start learning martial arts. Even infants can be brought up seeing their parents train and hearing the important message of martial arts. As soon as they're old enough to mimic, they can start training.

That said, we won't take 'em younger than 4 at my school, and 4 is for special cases.

For formal classes? I think 5 is a good age to start. Many at that age have at least started kindergarten and already are acquainted with group rules. Just make sure there is a variety of things to do that will help build both their physical skills and cognitive abilities.

Informally (such as at home or wherever), martial arts can be at any age, mimicking movements for a few minutes or fun-sparring/wrestling with family & friends. This doesn't have to be structured (as in a class) and can be spontaneous.

When I practice at home, my little ones like to wander in the room and try alongside with me for a few minutes at a time.

- Ceicei

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have found that there are very few kids of age 3, 4 and even 5, that can learn things such as forms or specific techniques and understand them. However, it is not out of the question to take those same children and work them on basics. Punching, kicking, blocking, stances and coordination drills. Don't get me wrong, it's not ALL kids, just a rule of thumb.
Working these kids on basics until age 6, then moving them up into the next class level, can be very benficial to the child. And what the heck, why not make that advancement a birthday present from the school on their 6th. Once at the next class level, they know all of the basic movements, they just need to then begin putting them into proper sequences. I am able to verbally ask a student to turn 90d into a cat stance, facing 9 o'clock and they do it, without question. Now step out into a left fighting stance and use a #8 block, they do it. Makes life a bit easier.
Oh yes, there is the once in a while parent that believes their child is a prodigy, and some may very well be, but knowing basics inside and out benefits them more the regurgitating a form for which they have no idea what they are doing other than mimicking movements of their instructors ... anyway, just my humble opinion.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For formal classes? I think 5 is a good age to start. Many at that age have at least started kindergarten and already are acquainted with group rules. Just make sure there is a variety of things to do that will help build both their physical skills and cognitive abilities.

Informally (such as at home or wherever), martial arts can be at any age, mimicking movements for a few minutes or fun-sparring/wrestling with family & friends. This doesn't have to be structured (as in a class) and can be spontaneous.

When I practice at home, my little ones like to wander in the room and try alongside with me for a few minutes at a time.

- Ceicei

I agree. Over the years we have seen that age 5 is an age that most kids can start at. We try them at age 4. Some are able to do it and some we recommend that they come back in a few months to try it again.
Our 3 year old daughter is able to mimic lots of the moves but she is not ready for a group class yet.
I think starting kids young is a good thing. The focus is on developing good fundamentals, exercise, manners, attitude and fun.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a school in Mass. that starts kids as young as 2.5 years old.

I think that is too young.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In addition to the good points made above, you also have to consider the facility in which you teach. About 12 years ago, I taught a class in an athletic club; the class was held in a racquetball court. The nearest bathroom was about 300 feet away, across the weight room, and the parents were usually off working out while the kids were in class - therefore, as a safety issue, I would not take kids under 8, who could understand what they could and could not touch, or go near, in the weight room on their way to the bathroom.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on my experience to date -- the youngest I'll consider for training is 7. And that's a judgement call; I reserve the right to say that the kid lacks the attention span and ability to behave during class, and can come back in a year or so, and try again.

It's hard to teach when you've got one kid with "monkeys on the brain" who gets bored if you do a drill for more than 3 minutes...

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
another note I would like to add that kids classes shouldn't be any longer than 15 minutes unless there is a paticular student that has a higher attention span...

But longer than 15 minutes for karate 3 times a weel, may be a bit too much for a young child

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use to feel that 4, 5 or 6 was way too young for kids to start in martial arts. But after having my kids in formal classes I have changed my mind. There are 12 kids in their class ranging from 4 yrs to 8 yrs old. I have watched these kids develop very good skills in a relatively short period.

Are their stances perfect? No way.Is their form perfect? No way. But overall they are looking very good. I think in another year, they will be incredible.

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe 8-10 is a good age range to start. It's young enough for them to grow into their style and develop that smooth, effortless movement common in those who start young. It's old enough for them to understand and more importantly, respect what they are learning.

BudoTiger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The school i used to work and train at we started the kids at 3. they all learned forms, techniques, and worked out in the regular group classes. exercises, stretching, the whole shebang. we had very few problems in class. the trick was to keep class moving fast enough to hold their attention. we would even occasionally do sparring drills in class. the kids LOVED it. this is a benefit to private lessons included with group classes that i see. you can work on the child's gross motor skills, technique, and forms in privates which makes it alot easier to work in group class. granted not all children are capable of ANYTHING at 3 years old. i had to turn kids away at 3,4, & even 5 who were not ready because they couldn't follow basic instructions. it all depends on how much time the parent works with the child at home on listening skills and things of that nature.

as far as at home informal training. i have 2 daughters. 1 & 2. they both know how to do a basic front kick, punch, horse stance, kiai, and outside block. alot of it from watching me work out and some because i have worked with them at home.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, I think 5-6 would be a good age. 4 may/may not be the right age, as some don't seem to be into it. I feel that if they're a bit older, they'll have an easier time grasping the material.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a school in Mass. that starts kids as young as 2.5 years old.

I think that is too young.

I agree!! IMHO, I'd feel as if it was more of a babysitting session, rather than a MA class. I just can't see how someone that young could grasp anything MA related.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the earlier the better. Not just MA either. Baseball, soccer etc. too. I don't plan on living my dreams through my kids (if I ever have any) but I think it would be a good move as a parent to get them into whatever activity or sport they enjoy most (within reason). MA would be the most likely. If they don't enjoy it, they don't have to do it but the option is there for them as early as they are capable.

Latest Discussions