Meandering thoughts

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the years, I've been asked by students to write recommendations for scholarships, jobs, etc. Today I got a text that got me thinking about some of those students.
One is now a Jr at Princeton, on a full ride academic scholarship, studying international law.
One is on a full ride academic scholarship to the School of Mines, studying mechanical engineering.
One is in her final year studying Veterinary Medicine.
One is in law enforcement. The FBI recently contacted me as part of the background checking they do for their hiring process.
Several are in the military. Out of the blue, I got a text from one of them today, thanking me for helping make them who they are today.
Is there any greater compliment any teacher can hope for?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the best thank yous I received was from a former student that also became a teacher... just not of martial arts. She became a professor in one of the natural sciences fields and prefers to focus on instruction of undergraduates. I still keep the note around as a keepsake and I cherish the thought that teaching one student well means helping countless others in turn.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone told me in a philosophy seminar when asked to critique his thesis, that I am the deepest person he has ever met.

That's pretty heavy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Over the years, I've been asked by students to write recommendations for scholarships, jobs, etc. Today I got a text that got me thinking about some of those students.
One is now a Jr at Princeton, on a full ride academic scholarship, studying international law.
One is on a full ride academic scholarship to the School of Mines, studying mechanical engineering.
One is in law enforcement. The FBI recently contacted me as part of the background checking they do for their hiring process.
Several are in the military. Out of the blue, I got a text from one of them today, thanking me for helping make them who they are today.
It makes all the pain, frustration and injuries worth it, don't it? It's easy to forget that from time to time.

Man, what you wrote had me nodding along as I read. Have you had the "You used to teach my grandmother, didn't you?" question yet?

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It makes all the pain, frustration and injuries worth it, don't it? It's easy to forget that from time to time.

Man, what you wrote had me nodding along as I read. Have you had the "You used to teach my grandmother, didn't you?" question yet?
Not yet...

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
What exactly is your suggestion here? is it that no one can work for the FBI, or that no one would list their MA teacher as a positive influence/reference for them

I'm you were contacted by the FBI, would you go public with it? And what on earth does it have to do with the rest of the text? Maybe this is a language barrier thing but I don't see the connection with the rest of the text.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of left field he just writes:"The FBI recently contacted me as part of the background checking they do for their hiring process."

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm you were contacted by the FBI, would you go public with it? And what on earth does it have to do with the rest of the text? Maybe this is a language barrier thing but I don't see the connection with the rest of the text.
I think you may have the wrong idea about this. The NYPD, CIA, FBI, LAPD, etc. perform their own background checks. That can include people that the person applying considers close (such as martial arts teachers). However, the background check itself is not confidential at all. The FBI would find nothing wrong with someone posting about this, after they contacted them about a background check.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you may have the wrong idea about this. The NYPD, CIA, FBI, LAPD, etc. perform their own background checks. That can include people that the person applying considers close (such as martial arts teachers). However, the background check itself is not confidential at all. The FBI would find nothing wrong with someone posting about this, after they contacted them about a background check.

Aha, so they weren't looking to hire him. Then it makes sense.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm you were contacted by the FBI, would you go public with it?
Why not? If he's made it that far in the FBI hiring process, he's doing good. Do you imagine that the fact he's trying to join the FBI is a secret?
Now, if they contacted me about a criminal investigation, it's doubtful I'd bring that up in public.
And what on earth does it have to do with the rest of the text? Maybe this is a language barrier thing but I don't see the connection with the rest of the text.
I'm proud of what these students have accomplished. What's so weird about that?
Out of left field he just writes:"The FBI recently contacted me as part of the background checking they do for their hiring process."
I'm guessing nobody ever used you for a reference, especially for a job that requires access to sensitive information.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Regardin the "out of left field" response; I'm sure Mark just appreciates being important enough to this person's life that they were included in the background check. You may be right though-it may not be as clear what this means with the rest of the text if you're not from the USA.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not out of left field. He was talking about students using him as a reference. I'm guessing a past student is applying to Quantico.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Not sure about grandmother but definitely remember some 'mother' and 'father' queries.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fantastic post. The greatest rewards are the ones we can see in others.

Latest Discussions