Training Equipment for developing specific types of lethal attacks

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Anyone make their own equipment for solo drilling lethal attacks that they can't drill with a partner?
Bruce Lee made loads of experimental equipment during the late 60s and 70s.

If you do make equipment, what types of things have you made?
I like the idea of making a standing arm bar man to practice classic arm bar take downs on.
I also like the idea of making a machine that simulates a human leg, for practicing lethal leg breaking (straight / stomp knee kicks).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone make their own equipment for solo drilling lethal attacks that they can't drill with a partner?

I like the idea of making a standing arm bar man to practice classic arm bar take downs on.
I also like the idea of making a machine that simulates a human leg, for practicing lethal leg breaking (straight / stomp knee kicks).
A "lethal leg break" would be near-impossible.
There is a very rare and special tool that will allow you to practice leg breaks and stomps though. It's called a "heavy bag"...

OP
J

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know. What I mean when I say break, i mean break or damage the leg joint at the knee.
i.e. dislocate / damage the ligaments / muscles.

I have had my leg seriously injured during uchi-komi (repetition technical drill training in Judo) practice while acting as an uke (training partner). The technique the guy used was Tai Otoshi. As with many of the Judo standing techniques, the tori (attacker) grips their training partner first so as to use hands and body movement to get their partner off balance.

My ex-doctor also had all his ligaments in his right leg snapped, while also acting as uke (passive training partner) for an ex-Judo player, when practicing BJJ. The guy was supposed to be doing a straight forward O-soto gari, and misjudged the distance between himself and his partner, and ended up falling through the doctors leg, snappling all his ligaments.

The doctor was an ex-SA Ishinryu Karate champ, able to kick with a high level of skill.
He now struggles to do more than just walk. His Judo / BJJ days are over.

Yes. Not a competition technique and perhaps a technique to use only if extreme circumstances.
For example, if attacked by someone who is a great deal bigger, being attacked by multiple attackers,
being attacked by a superior grappling expert.....

I see no reason why a stomp kick could not also be practiced in this way. I.e. from a grip, using the hands to control their opponent from moving, pinning them to the floor before then stomp kicking through the leg joint.

Alternative, it may be possible to develop a technique where the tori (attacker) stands on one of his opponents feet,
and then uses the other leg to kick through the leg, to the extent that he will be able to damage his opponents leg.

It would be possible to also do an O-soto-gari (big-outer-reap) from the side, going against the joint, with intention of dislocation / damaging the ligaments and muscles.

If your opponent can not walk, he will find it hard to do anything further to hurt me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

You planning on killing some people?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1633113965343.png

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have used shinai before. (use older ones...) You can use the shinai to throw the lunge punch, when you do your arm break, you should be able to bend the shinai. You can actually bend them quite far if your break is string enough... and they snap back into place. You can also put the tip on the ground, with some pressure, then you can stomp through / drop you knee on top of, to get enough force to bend it. (we have some moves where you stomp down, with your leg across the other guys arm to break it... its fun to watch people try to bend the shinai with these moves the first time... most have to re-evaluate their structure when trying to get enough force to bend the shinai)

OP
J

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You planning on killing some people?
Not planning on killing someone. Will do what is necessary in order to survive though.
I have been victimised by various factions of people, over the past 20 years, for various reasons, none of them just or righteous.

I will only do horrible things to people if it is the last resort, last option (apart from taking my own life, which i plan never to do).

You could say that I have complex life circumstances.

Fortunately for me, i live in an area where there is very little gun crime. I believe if i were to endure the same circumstances but lived in the US, or some other territory where Guns are more available, I would have been shot dead by now, as can take a lot less skill and perhaps guts to kill someone with a gun, in areas that are isolated.

Thank God for no guns!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure. Yes, i have seen these types of dummies. can be used to practice throws and strike.
The thing that i find frustrating with these, is that once thrown, they are not capable of re-standing themselves up again.
So you're looking for an android. Sorry, we're a long way from those. You'll just have to find a sparring partner.

OP
J

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We have used shinai before. (use older ones...) You can use the shinai to throw the lunge punch, when you do your arm break, you should be able to bend the shinai. You can actually bend them quite far if your break is string enough... and they snap back into place. You can also put the tip on the ground, with some pressure, then you can stomp through / drop you knee on top of, to get enough force to bend it. (we have some moves where you stomp down, with your leg across the other guys arm to break it... its fun to watch people try to bend the shinai with these moves the first time... most have to re-evaluate their structure when trying to get enough force to bend the shinai)
Yes. I have trained with Shinai before. For just over a year, during the same time i was training in Akido,
I trained in Kendo and had my own kit of armour / shinai.

A good whack from a shinai certainly does hurt, if caught on an none armoured area.

I can see how you could use the shinai to represent a leg, although i would imagine that even with the bambo being so super strong, that the bamboo would break if you were to kick through it to enough depth.

I was thinking of making an imitation leg made out of two solid pieces of wood, with a strong spring in between them, with a knee cup attached to the front.

Will have to think more about such a design.

Bruce Lee probably made something similar. Years ago, in the 70s / 80s, there was a book written by Guru Dan Inosanto, which showed photos and drawings of many of Bruce Lee's experimental training machines.

The book now however is quiet a rarity and It has been over 20 years since I read through that book.
Cant remember what was in it exactly.

Anyone else ever read that book.

OP
J

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Forget androids. I want a holodeck. That would definitely be the ultimate training tool.
That or a lawnmover man style VR cradle with resistance / pressure suits / motion detector suits.

I am sure the game designers will get to it eventually.

and with such tech, anyone will then be able to train with the best coaches in the world
and develop precision techniques with help from VR versions of your hero's from all martial arts.

although, perhaps Elon Musk's neural link will allow you to connect to a virtual reality world that will be as real as this one, which will let you be anyone you want to be and do anything you want. but i digress..

in our life times, who knows what wonders we are still yet to see.

OP
J

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For throwing, I also like uchikomi bands. Neil Adams makes some good quality tough ones.

I think it would be possible to combine resistance bands with a grappling dummy, to make it more realistic for doing technical drilling.

OP
J

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yes, very cool.
although i don't think my budget (or innovation) can stretch to that level...

Latest Discussions